Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a Rip Off??

• 15-01-2010 12:14am
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

As suggested by Sceptre, I've decided to add a sticky for people to discuss what they consider to be a ripoff.

The dictionary defines it as:

1. an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle.
    2. exploitation, esp. of those who cannot prevent or counter it.
    3. a copy or imitation.
    4. a person who rips off another or others; thief or swindler.

Someone coming to my door and taking money from me to tar my drive but then not doing it is, in my mind, not a ripoff. It would be a scam. Something illegal.

What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices. Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours and mainly came about because of our change to Euro and the fact it was easier to see the price differences.

Please feel free to discuss what you think should be considered a ripoff. Give examples if you wish but please keep them anecdotal and not a moan about something that has just happened to you. You can start your own thread about that.

This thread will be monitored closely so stay on topic and no personal abuse or you get an instant ban for a week!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems to me that society has absorbed "attempted rip-off" into "rip-off", so that whether you've paid or not, a rip-off price exists. I'd go with that absorption, as it does seem to be the norm now.

I think that a rip-off situation can only occur in the same jurisdiction. The prices charged in other countries, no matter how close, are largely irrelevant. If anyone wants to compare neighbouring jurisdictions, they may as well go the whole hog and bring Chinese prices into it. Every country on the planet has different prices for the same goods, but a lot of people can't get that into their heads, for some strange reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

this forum would seem to be unable to serve its purpose.
    for as long as i can remember any attempt to highlight an anecdotal example of what most people refer to as "rip off ireland" has simply been shot down by other forum members.
    if the consumer hasnt LITERALLY been robbed been the retailer, then the rip off apparently isnt worthy of posting. the only thing a poster can expect is a torrent of replies explaining that whatever they have posted is not a rip off.

a forum set up to highlight the high cost of living in ireland, ends up getting bogged down in the correct use of its name - colloquail or dictionary.

most posters use the accepted colloquail understanding, but unfortunately they have no leg to stand on when the dictionary definiton is raised.

either rename the forum or lock it up, its an ongoing disaster as it cant exist with both definitions and no amount of rules/charters are going to redefine the phrase in the irish mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The forum has a charter, it's clearly stated that the purpose of the forum is to discuss prices that are too high, etc. That charter should be enough. Anybody who tries to shut down a thread even though it's following the spirit of the charter should be dropped from a height.

As an example, the charter for the Ladies Lounge starts with "Please note that this is a forum for the discussion of all topics and any issues pertaining to being a woman". How long would you give me if I was trying to derail threads there, based on my own definition of the forum name, when the charter is clear that those discussions are relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

this forum is the same forum as consumer issues, just with a different name.
    it should function as a reverse bargain alerts, if it is to serve any purpose at all.

if boards.ie are afraid of libelling a company then close or rename the forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mullen

I was going to retire in Ireland i spend the last 7 months there and got the hell out of the place they have THE RIP OFF down to a ART FORM. IT STARTS WITH THE GOVERNMENT ALL THE WAY DOWN. I would tell anyone who is going there. your in for a shock of your life if you don't get attack in you home no one cares just break the door down and KILL YOU. no one see anything so they IS THE GREEN FIELDS. this place called IRELAND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ItalianPosh

One should be especially careful when buying online. sometimes it is useful to find out who the web owner is and what country they are based in. I once thought I was buying from a UK website but was actually buying from a chinese one so I'm not sure whether it was a rip off or not.
    Check website owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mullen

after reading some of the reply to been RIP OF IRELAND it seem to me some of or maybe most people living in IRELAND don't know or care when there been rip off. Someday they may wake up to what is happening to them i suggest getting out of the country and living in another country even if it England and see what is

mullen wrote: »
    I was going to retire in Ireland i spend the last 7 months there and got the hell out of the place they have THE RIP OFF down to a ART FORM. IT STARTS WITH THE GOVERNMENT ALL THE WAY DOWN. I would tell anyone who is going there. your in for a shock of your life if you don't get attack in you home no one cares just break the door down and KILL YOU. no one see anything so they IS THE GREEN FIELDS. this place called IRELAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This forum, and this thread, is for discussion of high consumer pricing in Ireland. It is not a place for you to vent your obviously racist views.
    Someday they may wake up to what is happening to them i suggest getting out of the country and living in another country even if it England and see what is

Your Utopian view of everywhere that isn't Ireland is laughable. Why did the number of non-Irish nationals living in Ireland increase from 274k to 420k between 2002 and 2006, according to the census? If they were all attacked and killed in their homes, why are there still so many here? Your racist view of Ireland is not welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aintnopegion

I think with the advent of the internet the prices in other countries especially UK and Euro countries is highly relevant. When it is possible to buy an item on Amazon for a fraction of the price that it is advertised on a comparable Irish site and then have that item delivered free. then I think it is a problem. Or that companies who operate Here and in UK have vastly different prices for the same item. My Father recently bought me over an item he purchased in the UK in Aldi. We found we did not need it so went to the Aldi here in Cork for a refund (we were told we would only receive the amount in euro they charge here 79.99 euro) my Father had actually paid 49.99 pounds around 56 euro at the time so he made a profit on this occasion but how can the prices vary so much. I cannot believe that logistics would add so much to price. I also think with so many people having net access and relatives in UK that a lot of people here will of course buy the same items cheaper when they get the chance and consider that the prices here are indeed a rip off in a lot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭john_reilly74

It's when you let off a rip of a shart and try to blame someone else

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 filthyjabba

Hey, does anyone think this deal is a little bit too good to be true, it's fake tiffany alright, but the silver is sterling... 600g sold for €325

http://www.adverts.ie/necklaces-pendants/job-lot-925-silver-bracelets-necklaces-earrings/1315655

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

There, I think, is another rip-off. It is the high wages demand, on reason thet living costs here are high. Reality is the prices are growing according to how much customer can pay for that? Same international chains of shop have low prices in a countries with a low wages, and high in a countries with a high wages. A circle. A cup of coffee in Bulgaria 50 cent and 3.50+ in Ireland make it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

LFCFan wrote: »
    As suggested by Sceptre, I've decided to add a sticky for people to discuss what they consider to be a ripoff.

The dictionary defines it as:

1. an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle.
    2. exploitation, esp. of those who cannot prevent or counter it.
    3. a copy or imitation.
    4. a person who rips off another or others; thief or swindler.

Someone coming to my door and taking money from me to tar my drive but then not doing it is, in my mind, not a ripoff. It would be a scam. Something illegal.

What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices. Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours and mainly came about because of our change to Euro and the fact it was easier to see the price differences.

Please feel free to discuss what you think should be considered a ripoff. Give examples if you wish but please keep them anecdotal and not a moan about something that has just happened to you. You can start your own thread about that.

This thread will be monitored closely so stay on topic and no personal abuse or you get an instant ban for a week!!!

Is Ireland really a rip -off? Shouldn't economic principles have balanced out the change from the previous currency to the euro? If there is a good or service that is too expensive, someone will sell it for cheaper sooner or later won't they? Doesn't economics dictate this. So let's say a can of beans costs too much in most places, I would start a bean store selling beans for cheaper because I wan't more business. My low prices will surely bring in customers so the competition will have to lower their prices. I don't see how the conversion could have made Ireland a rip-off...but then again maybe it is and I would love to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Things are more expensive but aren't salaries also higher to compensate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

armabelle wrote: »
    Things are more expensive but aren't salaries also higher to compensate?

Its kind if a chicken and egg situation. Everyone in Ireland like 20% on top of what they're charging/earning. So prices are higher, which leads to people demanding wage rises. Since Ireland is more isolated than most European countries, it is difficult to mitigate the effects of that greed.
    Also, a lot of closed shops are protected by the government here, that would be the thousands of useless administrators in the health service (hangover from the 80's when it was a posh way of being on the dole if you had pull), 50% of which could be sacked without noticeable impact, the feudal 17th century legal sector, publicans and a lot of inner sanctums of Union's pet workers.
    So, yes, sure, we can just keep increasing cost to feed the greed, as soon as that happens the demands for 20% pay increases will immediately roll in, but of course absolutely no one will care that it destroys Ireland's competitiveness. So in another 6 to 8 years we will stand there again, looking over the smouldering ruins of the Celtic Tiger 2 and say "why does this keep happening?! I don't understand! This is all Merkel's fault!" Which is like blaming the undertaker for your death.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!

Please stop spamming all the threads ... one post is enough ... we get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Iguarantee

A rip off is paying well above a fair price for a substandard product or service.

Paying €10 for a pint is one thing.

Paying €10 for a pint at the all Ireland final is another thing.

Paying €10 for a single pour Guinness in a plastic glass is another thing entirely.

I’m rarely, if ever, in a situation where I have to be ripped off. The last time was Berlin airport, at about 7pm on a Sunday. Every single shop, Café and restaurant were closed except one Currywurst/chips place which cost nearly €40 for two curry chips and four bottles of water. Gouging bastards, but I paid it to feed my kids FYI for a capital city, Berlin airport ranks among one of the worst airports I’ve ever been to Cork airport has more on offer in the evenings.

Advertisement