Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videogame Deathmatch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭lasersquad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I found/still find Another World to be a glorified, over-rated, QTE game...

I find Flashback to be by-the-numbers, slick-but-tedious platformer...that were ten a penny back then - compared to the jaw-dropping lesson in how games can be different that was AW (written by one guy btw)
    Somehow I actually doubt that this were your actual thoughts then. Now, yeah, that`s easy - but not then. Hell, the term QTE wasn`t even invented. But if so, you were one edgy, sharp teen :)

Oh well...doubt`ll agree on this one ;) Anyway, I was thinking more about Future Wars/Cruise for a Corpse for some reason. AW= Eric Chahi.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

lasersquad wrote: »
    On the Amiga note, can`t believe Shaq Fu was written by Delphine Software :/

Jebus me neither! Thankfully I'm blissfully ignorant of the sh1teness that is Shaq-Fu.
    I found/still find Another World to be a glorified, over-rated, QTE game, but without the benefit of onscreen prompting, instead relying on the player to remember which button is randomly assigned to preform the required action this time, well maybe that's a tad harsh but it wasn't anything like as good as people though it was, outside of the cinemas.
    Flashback was far better made, better looking and had story and gameplay to boot.

Another World an overrated QTE game with randomly assigned buttons? I don't recall it being like that at all. Only played the Amiga version but it was excellent I thought.

Hmmm maybe my troll detector is broken. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thankfully I'm blissfully ignorant of the sh1teness that is Shaq-Fu.

It's very, very bad. In this case, ignorance is bliss.
    Andrew76 wrote:
    Another World an overrated QTE game with randomly assigned buttons? I don't recall it being like that at all. Only played the Amiga version but it was excellent I thought.

Hmmm maybe my troll detector is broken. :p

Another World felt really immersive & different. I loved it, still do :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Another World felt really immersive & different. I loved it, still do :)

Agreed. That bit with the water chasing after you was terrifying!

As for the op; I can't argue with Ico, Link to the Past or SMW although I would have chosen SMB3 instead, purely for sentimental reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah look, I just didn't get Another World, I played it on a series of formats and just never enjoyed it.
    Loved the look of the game but the gameplay just felt like appropriate button presses, that said most games I love involve button pressing at some point!
    Flashback was more fun, for me at least, the whole thing felt more like a good sci-fi yarn, with escaping the jungle, doing some courier work and the whole "Running Man" style killing game show in there as well.
    I also really liked Fade to Black, the 3D sequel on the PC, PS and Sat, I had the PC and PS versions and finished them both, very enjoyable imho and it was years before I played something that was as satisfying oddly enough, it had cover mechanics and the like years before Splinter Cell and Gears of War came along.

As for the QTE comment by me, apologies, but, in Another World, if you don't hit the right button at just the right time, if you don't duck and shoot at just the right moment it's back to the last checkpoint with you, and I hope you liked the associated cinema because, if you are having trouble getting the timing right you're going to be seeing it a good few times more!

• Advertisement

Well, it wasn`t like Flashback, of course which is what made it great. And it wasn`t as bad as you describe - it took few tries with various things but mainly because we were stuck with the old thinking patterns. So I have to move left/right to swing the cage? Sounds obvious but took me awhile to figure, just because I didn`t expect that such things are even possible. (If you don`t duck & shoot at the right moment in most games you`re dead too! (ok just teasin).
    Fade to Black was grand and massively overlooked. I love the happy end to Mr Chachi`s story in the form of From Dust - coming back to the dev bizniz after such cult following and 15 years wasn`t easy, but he`s done awright.

(thought this thread was started to prevent derailing of others? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I take it you didn`t sign the petition for the sequel then? ;)

I fully support Sony's decision to pretend that they never created the worst JRPG ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, we're all about thread de-railing here.
    It's all Sparks fault for not paying attention!

Oh, we're all about thread de-railing here

Grand. I wanted to be a smartass and post a pic of Eric Chahi sporting impeccable grin (after reading your post no doubt :). That can be found here, but nevermind - it got eclipsed by the fact I`ve just discovered a true sequel to Another World??? And it`s not Heart Of Darkness...

36142-heart-of-the-alien-out-of-this-world-parts-i-and-ii-sega-cd.gif

I`m humbled. And elated. Retro expert, right.
    Hell, thanx CiDeRmAn!
    (Now, to the Emupara...zzzzzzzzz)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's supposedly a bit crap and eric chahi had nothing to do with it. In fact he hates the game.

• Advertisement

The MegaCD game, very good, not quite official though, Chani never accepted it as canon.

Damn, retr0 got in there ahead of me... Curses!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    eric chahi had nothing to do with it

"E-BOREDOM: Did you originally have a sequel in mind when creating Out of This World?

ERIC CHAHI: Not at all. This sequel was decided from the pressure of Interplay. I never had the initiative to do a sequel. So instead of a real sequel, I thought it would be much more interesting to replay the game from the alien's point of view."

Maybe he did, after all? Regardless of what Wikipedia says? Figure we`ll never know unless someone was there, then.But yes, he does dislike it, and yes - it`s probably not as good as the first one. Do I care? Nope.

Look at the interview with Chahi in the excellent documentary in the anniversary edition of another world and he explains his views on it. It might even be on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

15 entries going into the randomization machine in 5 mins

Will take me a while to set up

Sparks43 wrote: »
    15 entries going into the randomization machine in 5 mins

Will take me a while to set up

Make sure I'm down for Link To The Past & not Shaq Fu :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Make sure I'm down for Link To The Past & not Shaq Fu :D

Yep and your gonna laugh when you see the draw:D

Im gonna get it in the neck for this :o

Yep and your gonna laugh when you see the draw:D

Im gonna get it in the neck for this :o

Aw say no more :rolleyes::D

deathmatch.png

Apart form maybe 2 & 6 these are totally ridiculous. Favourite: Ico vs Turrican. I love it :)

• Advertisement

Apart form maybe 2 & 6 these are totally ridiculous. Favourite: Ico vs Turrican. I love it :)
    I like Turrican :eek:
    Some weirdness in the matchups but i promised myself i was only running the draw once.

Im basing my votes on how people post there views on there nominated game.Cant wait to read the posts.

I meant "mismatched". I love Turrican & every single other game here of course.

So...how do we "vote"?

I meant "mismatched". I love Turrican & every single other game here of course.

So...how do we "vote"?

On this thread here

One vote for each match

Its also where you post your defence of your nominated game

I`m a dimwit, will wait & see how the adults do it 1st.

One thing thou - I assume "Bye" is a dummy entry, due to unevenness? (fair play, it`s your idea btw)
    And another - do we vote for our own game or is it poor form?

I`m a dimwit, will wait & see how the adults do it 1st.

One thing thou - I assume "Bye" is a dummy entry, due to unevenness? (fair play, it`s your idea btw)
    And another - do we vote for our own game or is it poor form?

Of course you can vote for your own game,how can you expect others to vote for it if you dont believe in it.

And yep the bye is a walkover for Boulder Dash but i left the 2 in so people can take the piss out of me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I predict a stroll to the final for double dash. Sure we all know its the greatest game ever! The media are hyping it up and saying how all the other competitors dont stand a chance.

We have all our best players fully fit and have the surprise inclusion of toad, toadette, king boo and that flower guy.

Go team Mario Kart!

When is it starting?
    Do we have to have our write up done by a certain date?
    Is it one vote per match up or just one vote?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I predict a stroll to the final for double dash. Sure we all know its the greatest game ever! The media are hyping it up and saying how all the other competitors dont stand a chance.

We have all our best players fully fit and have the surprise inclusion of toad, toadette, king boo and that flower guy.

Go team Mario Kart!

When is it starting?
    Do we have to have our write up done by a certain date?
    Is it one vote per match up or just one vote?

Started now m8 so you can make your post on the thread outlining why your game is better then all others

Also vote in all matches (8 in all) as its a deathmatch no just a overall poll.

This round closes when the poll does next Saturday.

you can make your post on the thread outlining why your game is better then all others

Ah, that explains a lot.

So we do all the trash-talking here then? Ok:

@OwaynOTT
    Pffffffffffffffffttt....

(mind you, it might be just the case given it`s 2012 :/)

EDIT: not sure if :P in my contestant`s name is a handicap or not. Don`t really matter since it IS the best game out there, but the fact it reads "irates " might confuse some youngsters :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

i cant decide between bubble bobble and ghouls and goblins :(

• Advertisement

Dont forget to make a post outlining why we should vote for your chosen game here.

Advertisement