Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI Projects

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I don't think a 2v signal from a pin on the RPi would drive a relay, even if you could find a 2V relay. You'd probably need some little bit of circuitry with a transistor to drive it.

Yeah your right, 2v prob wouldn't drive the relay to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Something like this might be useful for the front garden:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Now that the main Raspberry Pi site and forum are back up, I'm looking around for ideas of what to do with the bunch of Pis I'm planning on ordering.

The discussion here about using them to build a small cluster is pretty interesting. I mean, I know that something at non-gigabit ethernet will have limited real-world applications, but even so - in the same way I hope to learn about building networks using a handful of these things, I'm sure there's a lot I could learn about cluster design and implementation with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Think I am going to use one for a car computer. The only issue I have is the video quality from the composite output since hdmi screens are generally very expensive. I'm going to get a cheap 4.3" lcd from ebay along with a 4.3" resistive digitizer and build my own touchscreen lcd (using a microcontroller of some kind). Should be a good project.

I also plan on using one for some home automation as mentioned by others already. Not sure I will go with one of those gertboards, thinking more along the lines of this or this. These are nice relay boards and just require a 5V logic signal to activate a relay. Considering there are 8+ free GPIO pins on the pi it could easily switch 8 large AC loads with that 8 channel board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Just got a code today to allow me to order one. Now I have to wait (im) patiently for up to 3 weeks :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Just got a code today to allow me to order one. Now I have to wait (im) patiently for up to 3 weeks :(:D

Me too :) Order placed, next thing is to decide what to do with this one in advance of getting 4 or 5 more and building a Bramble.

I'm going to (try :D ) let my son play with it . Maybe get him to build a lego case for it and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm looking at the PI as a kind of cheap always on server for my home. It meets the main criteria in that its got a low power draw (2-3w instead of 200w that my PC can hog).

I was hoping to use it as a DNLA Server, a VPN/Hamachi springboard to remote onto my home network and as an email forwarding server of some sort for IP security cameras.

I may also try and get really fancy and do some smart home stuff if I can get IP temperature probes and watt meters cheaply. Fire in a SQL database and you have a very interesting home historian.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Mine just arrived in the last few minutes. Nom nom nom. I'll decide what to use it for once I see what it's capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Something like this might be useful for the front garden:

[YOU/TUBE]6QcfZGDvHU8#t=201s[/YOUTUBE]
    that's why you don't bring a knife to a gunfight. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I want one, I'm in Dublin & registered interest on farnell & radionics only today. How long will it take me to get a code, any ideas?!?

One of these will go great with my arduino, I've no idea how but it'll be fun figuring it out :D

whitesands wrote: »
    I want one, I'm in Dublin & registered interest on farnell & radionics only today. How long will it take me to get a code, any ideas?!?

One of these will go great with my arduino, I've no idea how but it'll be fun figuring it out :D

Not sure but I registered my interest on the same site on Feb 29th and got the code today. If production improves You might get one quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is registering interest and actual ordering - different?
    i had ordered on feb 29th evening but my order still says processing.

is registering interest and actual ordering - different?
    i had ordered on feb 29th evening but my order still says processing.

Registering interest is different from ordering. If you ordered then you entered credit card details or used paypal. Did you do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Juliette Bitter Revolutionary

I ordered one on Tuesday and it arrived today. In my haste to get it I never ordered any peripherals. Will the micro usb for my phone power this up?

Check the voltage on it. The pi needs 5V as far as I know and I my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet charger should work perfectly with it when I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Juliette Bitter Revolutionary

Thanks ill check it out.

You should get it soon as i ordered mine on Tuesday night and it arrived today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Will the micro usb for my phone power this up?

If it's an original charger then almost certainly. It's what I plan on using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'm using an AC-8X Nokia charger (which is a bit off the recommended 1A, it's 5V/890 mA) with a CA-146C charger adapter at the moment. It seems to run OK, but I'll keep an eye on it. It got through an hour of continuous SD video with omxplayer so I'm having hopes for this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a thread over in the D15 forum about neighbourhood watch type stuff and as a result of that i have an idea for a motion activated front door peep hole camera that i'd love to get made into a real product and it might be a good Raspberry Pi project for someone (smarter than me). :)

it would probably be simple enough, just screwed to the inside of the door using a standard sized peephole lens to the ouside world with a camera lens on the inside with the usual basic facial detection that you'd find on any camera these days, so that any time someone comes to your front door it takes a decent quality (decent enough for an ID) snap of their face with a time/date stamp embedded in it.

No need for you to even look at it unless something dodgy happens, at which point you whip out the memory card and put it into your PC and hand over the pics of who was at your door for the garda to investigate.

maybe even have a little ring/logo around the peephole lens outside with "smile you're on camera" in big bright letters to ward off anyone that might be considering doing something they shouldn't.

you'd just need something to supply power to it, but most people have a plug socket in their front hall, so i don't see that being an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

I ordered one on Tuesday and it arrived today. In my haste to get it I never ordered any peripherals. Will the micro usb for my phone power this up?

can anyone pls let me know is it delivered by anpost or DHL or any other service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Definitely going to be a learning experience for me. Going to buy two Model B's initially, experiment with some peripherals, and take it from there. Can't wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

My first project for pi1 is going to be a HTPC running Raspbmc (something nice and easy to do), and eventually include one of these

so as with my TV i can control going through my media and the addons via "touch"

Pi2 will be for a possible NAS or server of some sort I've not fully decided yet.

The eventual Pi3 will be for general learning linux and its command line.

Until i get Pi3 i'll be switching Pi1 to Pi3 every now and then.

Another idea I have in my head (don't know if its fully possible at the moment) is that i've seen people mention using AA batteries to run it, if its possible I would learn to have it running of a rechargeable battery (ala a phone battery) and eventually create a tablet of some sort. Depending on how much it would cost and the end use purpose other than to say I made a tablet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mine is the the sort centre in East Midlands. Can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy. Initial use will be a htpc but once that's set up it'll be play time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Going back to the difference between Registering Interest and ordering...

I registered interest with 2 suppliers around Easter, and in early May I got to place a pre-order with one of them (Farnell), and about a month ago I got to complete that order, and delivery should be coming Monday next.

About 10 days I got the "ready to preorder" notification from the other supplier, RS Components, but I've done nothing with it. I don't need a 2nd one, and was thinking of offering the code to someone on here.

I was looking at my credit card account tonight, and noticed that there's a "new" charge yesterday by Farnell of £33.52 although when I placed the original final order in June, I paid with Paypal.
    I don't remember giving them my cc details at all, but with such a messy order process, I can't be sure.

I'm a bit torn what to do right now, whether to call Visa and try to get my money back, or to wait and see if a 2nd one comes along.
    Looking in Google it looks like this kind of thing has happened to others, and the one thing that's not working well is getting an answer from the suppliers.

Any ideas?

Hay Lads,
    I know I shouldn't be really posting here but I'm making Rpi cases.(laser cut)
    drop me a PM here or check them out on adverts.ie
    discount for boardies!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DMReeves

I should get my PI this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

DMReeves wrote: »
    I should get my PI this week :D
    Same here. Mine was dispatched Thursday so I'm expecting it tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait!

• Advertisement

I have to say, for my money this is the coolest Pi project thus far :D

Advertisement