Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Rappers? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

thebaz wrote: »
    but you forgot about Dre
    I see what you did there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Can't believe no-one posted this yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Seachmall wrote: »
    The only reason Americans, and English to some extent, have dominated rap is because they've been doing it much longer and they've much larger populations.

For some reason the general Irish populace is far quicker to instantly mock something Irish than dig a little deeper and support it. The population at large loves a winner, but you need to start winning for them to love you. See every sports trend in this country ever, especially the sudden upsurge in people who loved cricket a while back.

It's the same musically, unless it has a guitar in it and is vaguely like U2 Irish people have no time for it.

Melodica Deathship ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Dean09 wrote: »
    99.999% of it is pure cringeworthy shíte
    Too generous with you assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Only cringy when they try and disguise their accent. This is a quality tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

The rubber bandits started out very hip-hop before becoming more mainstream (A marketing decision I'm sure but we all have to make a living).

As was said, it's a new genre in Ireland, give them a few years to develop. Groups like 'The Streets' made excellent rap music (if you can avoid being a pedant about sub-genres) that was relevant to English culture.
    I'm very excited to see what Ireland can produce once the culture begins to develop its own identity a little further away from its American counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Irish rap has improved immensely over the last couple of years

Really like this guy's music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

We should stick to the Irish dancing and sean nos singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

buck65 wrote: »
    On the Republic of Telly the other night there was a gang from Carlow rapping, it was very funny and good.
    Messiah J are decent and I'm sure there is some decent stuff around too.

Messiah J are brilliant, I wandered into their set at Indiependence a couple of years ago, it's not normally the kind of stuff that I'd listen to, but I was blown away! I'd love to see them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Did anyone else misread the thread title as "Irelands rashers" and get hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Let them have at it and best of luck to them.

Like everything, there'll be a few jokers amongst the people who are serious about their music and sadly they'll represent the entire population of Irish rappers in people's (blinkered) view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

d-gal wrote: »
    Irish rap has improved immensely over the last couple of years

Really like this guy's music
    I don't think he's fly enough!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Reminds me of a chat up line used by a farmer from my area.

"I'm a rapper... I (w)rap bales"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

For some reason the general Irish populace is far quicker to instantly mock something Irish than dig a little deeper and support it.

They feel safer that way, afraid to go against the grain.

I really enjoyed the program the other night, really entertaining. Yeah I did find some of it funny as it's my first experience of Irish rap but after a while I thought they were deadly, doing what they want, with passion and determination..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Surprised scary eire hadn't got much mention before the above, seeing as they were pioneers in the Irish scene.
    There also used to be two guys I used to see on grafton st who used to do some decent rapping and selling CDs. Never bought one. Sorry I didn't now. (anybody recall who they were?).

Anyhoo - this is pretty relevant again these days -

trooney wrote: »
    Surprised scary eire hadn't got much mention before the above, seeing as they were pioneers in the Irish scene.

They actually got mentioned on the second page.

Love Scary Eire tbh, RiRa is as talented as they come and Mek is unbelievable on the decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

The funniest tv show i have seen in along time. Can anyone take these clown's seriously ? Wasters the lot of them. If it was done as a comedy like a Dublin version of the hardy bucks it would win awards. Redzer dancing going in to the 21st and the pub empty. Siyo steals the show. He agrees with his mother its time he moved out. In the next scene he goes house hunting. Then the classic gig "this is for me ould wan, i love her, im never leaving home " Comedy gold. These losers need a tv series :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I ain't gonna lie to ya, this is as good as it gets lads.
    Up there with Chuck D and possibly Rakim.

Ladies and gents, may I present, Tom the junkie rapper

URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_s1uPheEY&feature=player_embedded"]link[/URL

In fairness there are better videos of Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Jesus.

I remember a strange pair I actually interviewed back around 2004. One was a junkie and rapped, the other fellah was from Oxford and did a mean beatbox. They had one song that was just brilliant, "towering inferno", about life in the flats. Wonder what became of them. I hope that's not him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

geeky wrote: »
    Jesus.

I remember a strange pair I actually interviewed back around 2004. One was a junkie and rapped, the other fellah was from Oxford and did a mean beatbox. They had one song that was just brilliant, "towering inferno", about life in the flats. Wonder what became of them. I hope that's not him. :(

I saw tom the other day, someone finally bought him a backing track, so at least thats lowered the embarrasment factor a bit. Or raised it, im not sure.
    Odd coincidence tho given it was a coupel years ago when i last saw him perform, he was rapping the exact same line on saturday as he was all those years ago, something about masturbation in prison.

Also id just like to say to all irish rappers everywhere, stop. Just stop. Youre an embarrasment to yourself, and to the country as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nice to see somebody remembering Scary Eire. :pac:

But seriously lads, Irish rap is ****e.

Also id just like to say to all irish rappers everywhere, stop. Just stop. Youre an embarrasment to yourself, and to the country as a whole.

Exactly, if your not good at something straight away then give up, even if its something you enjoy. Also, kids learning to ride bikes should be beaten with a hurl if they fall off just to reinforce the bad memorys of bikes as they are letting the country down being from Ireland and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Check it
    Yeow!
    Check it
    Meow!

It's me! Tedddd-dy,
    postin' again on boards.ie,
    so get ready and take some medicine,
    it's your bhoy the original Tedson!
    Giddy Up!

Giddy Up!

Sit yer arse back down

Posting away,
    All day long,
    Here in my underpants,
    Rappin' my favourite song.
    Giddy Up!

Giddy Up!

Sit yer arse back down and Giddy Up!

I'm a wild Teddy bear,
    Bad to the bone,
    Big shout out now to a future mod,
    my bhoy, Chuck Stone!-
    -Giddy Up!

Giddy Up!

Sit yer arse back down

I'm kickin' it here,
    in After Hours,
    talkin' bout transphobia,
    and Paddy Powers
    Giddy Up!

Giddy Up!

Sit yer arse back down

I'm off now,
    to get some rest,
    you can find me later,
    in tCN!
    Giddy Up!

Stand up!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

The lads at the end of the Republic of Telly were better than nearly all of the lads on that show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Advertisement