Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty Six Point Something Something OR A Study in Lackadaisical Sub 3 Hour Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Monday Rest
    Tuesday 4 miles easy + 4 x 2 min hills walk recovery + 1-2 mile cool down
    Wednesday 11 miles easy
    Thursday8 miles easy
    Friday 8 miles fartlek (10 min easy, ten min steady)
    Saturday 4 miles recovery
    Sunday 8 miles easy 8 miles MP
    That's roughly the plan for this week, though when things will be done will be chopped and changed. Today was 14 miles in 1:51.

Total mileage: 112.5

3.5 miles in 22:15. Been feeling ok lately, I'm finding lengthening my stride is helping with the "sort-of-tight" feeling in my knee. Trial and error really I suppose. Ah well we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Total mileage:116

First decent run in a while :) Though I chafed my ball sack :eek: The knees held up well and my last 2 miles were under 7 mins. An incredibly humid night, might keep up this late night running thing, wouldn't fancy a session like this one with the sun beating down on me. Anyhoo things seem to be picking up so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 8.5 miles in 1:01:25.

Total mileage: 124.5

This run has enlightened me to two things I hate. This windless humidity and knackers. Got the slow sarcastic clap off three troglodytes while I was out, called them something unrepeatable and then had to force myself not to sprint away :P 8.5 miles in 1:03:46.

Total Mileage: 133

15.5 miles, 7 easy and 8.5 at PMP which I'm aiming to be 6:58 (worked out in my head on a long run so possibly a bit off the mark), was 7 min miles today though.

Total Weekly Mileage: 50
    Total mileage: 148.5

• Advertisement

Monday| Rest
    Tuesday| 2 mile warm up 6-8 x 1k @ 5k +5-7 secs pace (1 min - 90 sec recovery) 2 mile cool down
    Wednesday| 11 miles easy
    Thursday|8 miles easy
    Friday| 2 mile warm up 2x2m @ HMP (2-3 min recovery)
    Saturday| 4 miles recovery
    Sunday| 17 miles easy

Got caught out in the dark tonight, it ain't summer no more!! Did 7 miles in a total of 52:47, broken up into a ten min warm up then 4 mins at close to 5k pace with a 90 sec recovery. Did this 6 more times with splits:
    1. 4:03 with 1:30 recovery
    2. 4:02 with 1:44 recovery
    3. 4:00 with 1:30 recovery
    4. 4:00 with 1:34 recovery
    5. 4:00 with 1:40 recovery
    6. 4:03 with a 5:03 min cool down.

All in all a very enjoyably session, been really enjoying my running again in the past few days, and it's been a while since I've been able to just go out and run as fast as I can which is DEFINITELY one of the high points of running :)

Total mileage: 155.5

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

.....a very entertaining read i must say.....lol...you're inspiring me to consider doing DCM2011

Keep up the training!

FOXFISH1 wrote: »
    .....a very entertaining read i must say.....lol...you're inspiring me to consider doing DCM2011

Keep up the training!

You sir, have given me a swelled head :p I much appreciate it.
    Tonight's run was an abomination. Supposed to be 8.5 miles but I called it a day 2.5 miles in and ran/walked home (Mr. Aspiring Sub 3 hour marathon runner, HA!). This was a result of serious overindulgence on the food front (big sandwich at lunch time, a plate of pasta at 4 and 2 burritos at 7) then trying to do 7:30 miles at 8. Throwing up in your mouth and feeling like you're carrying a bowling ball in your colon can put a damper on even the best laid plans (made my last mile fairly speedy though :D)

5 miles in 45:03 (yes that's right.)

Total mileage: 160.5

Also I may need new shoes. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

.....some runs go well...others don't go as planned....keep ploughing on!

what runners are you currently using?

I notice you deal in the old currency of miles...do most athletes still use miles or have most moved over the the 'km',

trying to get back running after 15yr gap and thinking of moving to the new currency...but it's hard!!!

• Advertisement

FOXFISH1 wrote: »
    .....some runs go well...others don't go as planned....keep ploughing on!

what runners are you currently using?

I notice you deal in the old currency of miles...do most athletes still use miles or have most moved over the the 'km',

trying to get back running after 15yr gap and thinking of moving to the new currency...but it's hard!!!

I'm using Asics GT-2150s at the moment, and yeah I deal in miles pretty much 100%, in marathons each mile marker will be marked off but some marathons will only show you each 5k mark and some won't show your distance in kilometres at all (though I couldn't tell what prevails on the continent), so for gauging distance in training it's just easiest to deal in miles so that on race day you'll have a realistic idea of your ability without being left in the dark as to how far exactly you've run. Most people here tend to train in miles as well.

Good luck with the running anyway! Hope to see you starting your own log here in the not too distant future. Putting on the shoes and getting out the door is the first step!

Lesson of the day: PMP cannot be maintained uphill without wrecking the rest of your run. The plan was 13 miles at PMP but one of the uphill sections of my run is so long that it completely throws off my pace trying to make it up then on the downhill just left me knackered then so the last 6 miles were a total write off and just became an easy run.

1st 7: 49:42 (7:06 miles)
    Last 6: 47:14 (7:xx miles)

Total mileage: 173.5

Just 5 miles today, first thing out the door I noticed how absolutely knackered I was! Yesterday creeping up on me... anyway 5 miles in 34:11, died a bit of a death at the end.

Total mileage: 178.5

Didn't manage an LSR today, just 8.5 miles in 62 mins. Gonna do another 8 tomorrow to make up for it and carry on from there.

Monday Rest
    Tuesday 4 miles (easy), 5x2 min hills+ cool down
    Wednesday 12 miles easy
    Thursday4 miles (easy), 3x1 mile (10 k pace) 3 min recovery, 1mile cool down
    Friday 8 miles easy
    Saturday 4 miles recovery
    Sunday8 miles easy 9 miles MP

Total weekly mileage: 38.5 (not great)
    Total mileage: 187

So as you may notice yesterday's 8 miler never happened :D though I did play squash for an hour and ate my post run pizza so it's almost like I did it.

Anyway today was roughly 7 and a bit miles (my usual 7 mile loop with 5 hill repeats thrown in), warmed up with a 26:25 easy run out to the hill, followed by the 5x2 min hill repeats (very happy with these, no cheating or anything).
    Then an easy 27:08 run home.

Tonights run was pretty cool, got to see all the street lights in Cork city come on from my hilltop vantage point, all lighting up within a two min period. On the downside I ate a fly, though I'm sure Bear Grylls would tell me that gram for gram it has more protein than beef and so is perfect marathon food...
    And I've started composing my log entries in my head as I run :pac: this is a new low.

Total mileage: 194

12 miles in 85:03 which is a 7:05 mile pace (two long uphill sections in my run are wrecking my overall pace), still a bit off the 6:51 that the sub 3 pace group will be motoring along to though I still have two and a half months to train so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The song of the day is the Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater theme song:

Total mileage: 206

8.5 miles in 58:36, which works out at a 6:51 min pace, the gold standard :D starting to feel confident now about the whole thing...

Total mileage: 214.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

8.5 miles in 58:36, which works out at a 6:51 min pace, the gold standard :D starting to feel confident now about the whole thing...

Total mileage: 214.5
    Good run there bud. Was wondering how cork went for you. Was it a positive split ect........

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Good run there bud. Was wondering how cork went for you. Was it a positive split ect........

Yeah positive split, first half was 1:35 and second was 1:40. My right knee was feeling a bit strange throughout the second half but at mile twenty I noticed I was getting ahead of the 3:15 pace group and was feeling fairly fresh so I started to give it a bit of welly (much too early in hindsight but I could see 3:10 a hollerin'). When I got to the Carrigrohane straight my leg was feeling like it needed a good shake out (not painful but more like it had fallen asleep) so i figured i'd give myself ten secs.

So I stopped. And my whole knee joint froze up on me :eek: Couldn't bend it and if I put my weight on my right leg it would buckle, this stop let all the lactic acid catch up with me and I just suffered a general freeze up. Cue a good 3-4 mins of hobbling along the road trying to run, watching the 3:15 pace group pass me, concerned runners offering me drinks, I slowly got going again and got running but those last three miles were fairly hellish and I didn't get back anywhere near the pace I had.
    It wasn't all my knee though, I went much too early and paid for it about 3 miles later which contributed to my decision to stop for a second.

Ah well lesson learned and all that, Cork was never the goal anyway just a stepping stone. Roll on Dublin!!

5 miles in 39:20... nice n' easy...

Total mileage: 219.5

• Advertisement

Didn't get yesterday's 17 mile run done so i slotted it in this morning. First 8.5 miles were done very easy in 67:21 (7:55 min/mile pace). Second 8.5 miles were done in 59:05, I went out too easily in this and really had to put the boot down towards the end (6:57 min/mile pace).

Total weekly mileage 49
    Total mileage: 236.5

MondayRest
    Tuesday2 miles w/u 3/2/1* 2 mile cooldown
    Wednesday8 Miles (easy)
    Thursdayrest
    Friday4 miles recovery
    Saturday1 mile warm up 10x1 mile (PMP) w/ 30 sec recovery 1 mile cool down
    Sunday8 miles easy

Going to do fridays recovery run tonight because i did 17 yesterday instead of resting and thursday is a day of rest anyway so i don't feel like i'll need a recovery run on friday so i'll do tonights session then.

5 miles in 35:03

Total mileage: 241.5

8.5 miles in 62 mins, 4 and a bit miles easy, 2 at PMP and 1 at HMP, then easy the rest of the way home. All done in the pouring rain cos I'm HAAAAARD :mad:

Total mileage: 250 (Wooooo!!!)

13 miles in 1:30:44 (6:55 mile pace). Beautiful day but a bit of a headwind. Enjoyable run nonetheless.

Total mileage: 263

I MANAGED TO GET ONE OF THOSE BLACK FLYING YOKES (flies?) STUCK IN MY EYE WITHOUT NOTICING :eek: ANYONE WITH ADVICE ON HOW TO GET THE **** EATING LITTLE BASTARD OUT PLEASE POST

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

||
    Monday|Rest
    Tuesday|4 miles easy 6x2 min hills 2 mile cooldown
    Wednesday|12 Miles (easy)
    Thursday|8 miles easy
    Friday|5 miles tempo
    Saturday|8 mile easy
    Sunday|10 miles easy 9 miles MP

5 miles in 33:01, graaaaaand. Pace 6:xx milesa

Total mileage: 268

• Advertisement

Another 5 miles in 34:xx, not entirely sure of the time (I accidentally deleted it when fiddling with my watch in an attempt to not get caught staring at my sexy neighbour)

Song of the day is:

Total mileage: 273

Advertisement