Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

maverick Sabre "lonely are the brave"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I'm a bit of a golden oldie myself but when I heard Maverick Sabre on the radio I thought - WOW oh WOW!!!

And he sounds incredibly "black" - imagine my shock when I heard he was from New Ross!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

While I've had some reservations about him becoming a full time singer like his voice not being quite up to the task now I've heard the album I no longer think that's the case. The songwriting, production and arrangements are excellent as well. Definitely well worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im all for supporting my own, and have in fact bought the album, its good. But his song writing needs to improve and a few other niggles that I'd have, but with time he could be very good hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

you got to remember this fella started off rapping and he must have worked his ass off to make this album. I remember seeing a youtube clip of him maybe in 2007 and i know straight away this guy got it. The sometimes tune on the album has been around for ages, its just been revamped in a top notch studio and he signed to plan b's label a couple of years back but had to move on i think. I just think he gonna be the next johnny cash of our generation. That my opinion anyway and a lot of the time i,m wrong but listen to "shooting' the stars" amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Like it has been said he had a good voice but it is everything else that tipped him over the edge, he deserves every bit of recognition he is getting.

He is putting some more rapping back out of late too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Even if he's not rapping as such on the album he's said he still writes the lyrics in rap form and that bleeds through pretty obviously on some of the tracks.

He did a guest verse a couple of months ago where he's rapping in a much more Wexford accented style than I've heard in the past. I can't get on Youtube at the minute to find the video (college firewall) but well worth a gander.

I think I know the video, I think that was just rapping more than ever before and therefore the accent came across more?

Most of the old rap songs I have of him are still kind of in the style of him half singing (not singing like he is doing now though)

Best rappers have rhythm and he has it in spades....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

saw him in waterford last night was an ok performance, a bit short though.

im liking what i heard of him though, very talented artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Everyone try and get this lad to number one, serious talent and he can rap too, lets hope he makes a rap album!!!!

"Always support our own"

:D
    cheers fella, been meaning to check out the album but kept forgetting.
    really talented guy.

• Advertisement

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    cheers fella, been meaning to check out the album but kept forgetting.
    really talented guy.

See, some IHH is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

See, some IHH is good.

conor, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I don't think we're made for Hip Hop but really like his vocals.

See, some IHH is good.
    its not hip hop.

its not hip hop.

Did you listen to the song posted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I just grabbed the album today myself, was at the gig in The Roisin a few months back and he was phenomenal. Shapes was there too actually, the place was wedged and the crowd were really into it, Lad is well due the success, worked his balls off for the last few years and Mick is a fierce nice fella.

Did you listen to the song posted?
    trust me conor, hes not hip hop, hes seriously talented at what he does, but please dont try and pigeon hole the guy just to prove a ridiculous point.

I am not pigeon holing him, I am stating what genre he does. I am not saying he solely does that genre either.

The song posted is clearly Hip-hop, as is a lot of his stuff.

I am not pigeon holing him, I am stating what genre he does. I am not saying he solely does that genre either.

The song posted is clearly Hip-hop, as is a lot of his stuff.
    hes not hip hop, leave it at that, not in the humor of being double teamed by you and your cheer leader tonight.

Yes, he is hardcore techno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

hes not hip hop, leave it at that, not in the humor of being double teamed by you and your cheer leader tonight.

Why isn't he hiphop?

By the way, every interview he does he states that he started off in the IHH scene, lists the acts he likes, bigs up the IHH scene, he is still in contact with a lot of the lads, took Sons Phonetic and Rob Kelly on his first Irish tour, got his first break (being introduced to Plan B by Mo-K) because of the IHH scene, he raps, a lot, he recently did a remix of "I Need" with Chipmunk and Benny Banks where he only raps on the track.

You are, as usual, talking through your hoop.

He is extremely respected as an MC, both in Ireland and in the UK.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Why isn't he hiphop?
    why is the sky blue, who knows, tweet him and ask him.

why is the sky blue, who knows, tweet him and ask him.

I've no need to, I know the answer.

great debut album, very impressive, does some rapping here and there, quite good at it too, distinctive sounding singing voice, kind of old school r&b/soul, amazing rendition of a change is gonna come, damn, i see the sun, what a song.
    buying this tomorrow, hmv, first floor, hip hop section.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've no need to, I know the answer.
    you know why he isnt hip hop? cool, tell conor, he wont listen to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You know how threads get derailed, pigeon-holing artists to genre.

MOD NOTE: No more flaming from here on please. Next one not to post about Maverick Sabre and his music (not genre) will get infracted.

Non-Mod Note: I've alot of respect for Mav, he's worked hard to get to where he is, and it shines through in the quality of his music.

Hip hop is what he is but he sings noting wrong with that!

big fan of maverick, as you all know, he sings and raps, hes hip hop.
    a certain other artist sings and raps but hes not hip hop, someone explain this to me like im a two year old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

big fan of maverick, as you all know, he sings and raps, hes hip hop.
    a certain other artist sings and raps but hes not hip hop, someone explain this to me like im a two year old?

you're talking about drake, he is a rapper in my opinion even though he sings and raps, mos def sings and raps too, he's still a well respected mc.

Drakes still a fairly bad rapper all the same.

Advertisement