Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ssangyong kyron reviews ?

• 17-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have read some very mixed reviews on these jeeps and am looking for honest opinions from anyone who has driven/ owned one. At the moment I drive a commercial Nissan x trail. I am happy with it but hate the look of it. Due to the imminent arrival of baby soon I need to get a passenger jeep. I like the look of the ssangyong kyron and I especially like the price !!! My budget will not allow me to buy much so I either buy another Nissan x trail or something like the ssangyong. I am looking at 2007/2008 models 4x4 passenger. I am not overly worried about resale value which I know is crap as I will have it a few yrs. So anyone got an honest opinion. How for example would it compare to Nissan x trail, KIA sportage, Hyundai Tucson which are in the same price range. Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ive heard of a few serious enough engine issues with them. They are reported to have mercedes engine but it seems the engines are some form of copy built completely independant of mercedes and nowhere near mercedes quality

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't it a 2.0 diesel?

Thought the 2.7 /2.9 engines were Mercedes copies alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There is a reason they only sold here for a few years, ssangyong were one of the worse made brands to go on sale in recent history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

So you hate the look of the X-Trail, but like the look of the Ssangyong Kyron, you really should visit your GP because that's not normal behavior.

I'd certainly consider a Sportage/ Tucson (same car) over one. I'd also consider most every other option, i'd place the Kyron somewhere between having to walk to work, and having to walk to work carrying the people I used to carpool with on my back.

Sorry OP, rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

my boss has one, he seems to love it, says "its a lovely aul bus" but i drove it one day and by god its horrible. he also doesnt have much luck with it regarding reliablity. avoid like the plague....IMO :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If the Rexton is anything to go by I'd run a mile.

There's a reason why they're cheaper than their counter parts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

engine is not mercedes. awful ride quality, ****e brakes, problems with electrics and not light on diesel. go for the kia, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

A boring ould hape

Koreans don't know how to make cars. They know how to make a lot of things, just cars aren't on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Daegerty wrote: »
    A boring ould hape

Koreans don't know how to make cars. They know how to make a lot of things, just cars aren't on that list.

If every other manufacturer knew how to make cars then they'd be offering 7 year warranties. I suspect you've never driven a Kia...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

They definitely know how to make cars, just ones you cannot enjoy unless there is something wrong with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

They definitely know how to make cars, just ones you cannot enjoy unless there is something wrong with you

had a sorento. fantastic apart from fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭techie

I have a Kia Sportage and will be getting another one when this one is to be replaced in a few years time.

Daegerty wrote: »
    A boring ould hape

Kia/Hyundai make very decent cars these days and are in a different league to ssangyong.

I would give anything to see the Germans put their money where their mouth is an offer a 5/7 year warranty!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Got talking to a hapless Kyron owner who bought on a whim and one year later was trying to find a way to get rid of the hopeless thing. Dealer was offering him a third of what he paid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Kia/Hyundai make very decent cars these days and are in a different league to ssangyong.

I would give anything to see the Germans put their money where their mouth is an offer a 5/7 year warranty!:rolleyes:

Ask yourself the question. Why do KIA need to offer a 7 year warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

Wex1977 wrote: »
    At the moment I drive a commercial Nissan x trail. I am happy with it but hate the look of it.
    I like the look of the ssangyong kyron
    :confused::confused::confused: The Kyron must be one of the worst looking cars on the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Twin-go wrote: »

All part of getting a foothold. But would they offer it if they didn't feel confident in their product, no. Will they ever pull it back to a 5 year warranty or less, no. Are their cars soon going to be as good as or better than most Euro makes, yes.

They are setting the pace and you can bet VW and others are more than bit worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

To gain Market share and dispel the idea they are cheap tat. They have come on a huge way and are a match for most models in their classes now.

The answer requires no thought, its because they are confident that they are building a good quality product, and in general, they are so far proving to be correct with their confidence.

Have you been inside a new Hyundai recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wex1977

General opinion so is to avoid ??? I knew they were priced too nicely to be good !

• Advertisement

General opinion so is to avoid ??? I knew they were priced too nicely to be good !

If it's too good to be true...do you need a 4x4? If not you'd get something spacious and suitable for a little one no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wex1977

Yeah unforctunately need the 4x4 and something with a bit of pulling power. Must look into the KIA sportage or maybe just stick with the Nissan x trail. Really can't complain about my Nissan but just dislike the boxy shape !

Suzuki grand vitara?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

Suzuki grand vitara?

Have to 2nd this! Have one and love it. Not sure how it is for pulling power. It's only a 1.9 diesel, so you might want something with a larger engine. The shape? Well, not too dissimilar to the Xtrail shape in my opinion...boxy, but maybe a little more "car" like. I like the shape of the Xtrail though. Don't know how you could consider that Ssangyong yolk...but each to their own. Some people must like them as there's a fair few on the roads.

All part of getting a foothold. But would they offer it if they didn't feel confident in their product, no. Will they ever pull it back to a 5 year warranty or less, no. Are their cars soon going to be as good as or better than most Euro makes, yes.

They are setting the pace and you can bet VW and others are more than bit worried.

They are only appealing to a certain section of the market with a 7 year warranty. People that purchase car like the would a fridge or a washing machine. Thats fine but, I can't ever see them taking maket share from BMW/Merc/Audi/VW etc.

billius wrote: »
    Have to 2nd this! Have one and love it. Not sure how it is for pulling power. It's only a 1.9 diesel, so you might want something with a larger engine. The shape? Well, not too dissimilar to the Xtrail shape in my opinion...boxy, but maybe a little more "car" like. I like the shape of the Xtrail though. Don't know how you could consider that Ssangyong yolk...but each to their own. Some people must like them as there's a fair few on the roads.

The likes of the kia/hyundai are all 2.0 diesel too.

@op, I'm not sure what model of x-trail you have but if you went for the latest model you can have a 2.0 dci with 170+ hp which makes it by far the most powerfull available for the engine size.

The answer requires no thought, its because they are confident that they are building a good quality product, and in general, they are so far proving to be correct with their confidence.

Have you been inside a new Hyundai recently?

I had a loner Hyudai Coupe last year for a week. Wasn't impressed tbh. Slow and uncomfortable. The interier was just bland and not really a place I would want to be for too long.

They are only appealing to a certain section of the market with a 7 year warranty. People that purchase car like the would a fridge or a washing machine. Thats fine but, I can't ever see them taking maket share from BMW/Merc/Audi/VW etc.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, there are plenty of people out there who have been burned by german marques often questionable reliability, expensive repairs and generally terrible customer service and are looking for alternatives.

I had a loner Hyudai Coupe last year for a week. Wasn't impressed tbh. Slow and uncomfortable. The interier was just bland and not really a place I would want to be for too long.

Their longest running model with roots back about 10 years at this stage. The modern stuff is a lot better. And they obviously don't compete with BMW and the like.

• Advertisement

The current coupe is from the old Hyundai design school, have a sit in a new 'I' series car or wait for the new coupe and have a look.

I drove a Hyundai Genesis in the US last year(unfortunatly not being released in Ireland) and I can assure you, it felt every bit as high quality(everything soft touch, perfect fit and finish, doors that 'sound like a golf':rolleyes:) as an equivilent 3 series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement