Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it time for another boundary commission

• 20-05-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Armagh and south Down all have a nationalist majority so should we redraw the border to satisfy peoples wishes?

I think it would mark an important step in the peace process as it would reaffirm
    the claim that Britain has no strategic interest in northern Ireland

It would also rob dissidents of support as it would show that the peace process is working?

I think the fairest way to redraw the boarder would be to incorporate constituencies where nationalists get a majority of the vote into the republic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Redrawing the border when there has been little demand to do so would only serve to destabilise Northern Ireland. You would be left with a rump statelet with an overwhelming Unionist majority, which doesn't appear to be in anyone's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

IMO its still much to early to change the border and would infuriate loyalists,better to wait till the overall majority want the change then doing it county by county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

What a lot of people don't realise with the proposal of another boundary commission type event is that by removing tens of thousands more Catholic Nationalists from Northern Ireland they further push away the opportunity of a United Ireland as they increase the Unionist : Nationalist ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Let sleeping dogs lie imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Seriously doubt a majority of people in those counties would be in favour of this. Can't think of a single republican party who would support it wither

Also i doubt county derry has a nationalist majority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Must also remember that the majority of Catholics in NI wish to remain part of the UK.

Sterling, NHS and heavy government spending cause this.

Would they want to join this tinpot IMF laden banana republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

All it would affirm is that Northern Irish Nationalists have a strategic interest in decent healthcare and Southern Irish Nationalists have a strategic interest in cheap shopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think the fairest way to redraw the boarder would be to incorporate constituencies where nationalists get a majority of the vote into the republic

Such a policy would inevitably make West Belfast an exclave of the The Republic within The UK.

Can't see that ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

Let sleeping dogs lie imho.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17198481

Or sleeping wounds fester?

The EU with most probably a nudge from the UK government for the Orange Order, a movement that exists to celebrate the taking away of civil liberties from Catholics across the British Isles and who's influence played the major role in insuring that Irish Catholics stayed alienated from the Northern Ireland state allowing the Ulster troubles to explode. The EU with most probably a nudge from the UK government has also been funding a centre celebrating terrorism in South Armagh. Unless a real effort is made to take the poison out of Northern Ireland society its only a matter of time before the killing starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Armagh and south Down all have a nationalist majority

Do they? [London]Derry city might, but not the county. And isn't south Down strongly protestant?
    I think it would mark an important step in the peace process as it would reaffirm
    What about the republic's lack of interest
    It would also rob dissidents of support as it would show that the peace process is working?
    Actually, it would drag every gunman back into importance, whereas most of them have been getting fat and drawing the dole.
    Must also remember that the majority of Catholics in NI wish to remain part of the UK.

Sterling, NHS and heavy government spending cause this.

Would they want to join this tinpot IMF laden banana republic?

Since when does a United Ireland debate take place within economic or social realities?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Hand over cavan, louth, Donegal, Letrim and monaghan. Then call for a vote. (or don't). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

sure since partition worked SO WELL before, let's do it again!
    Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.......... The EU with most probably a nudge from the UK government has also been funding a centre celebrating terrorism in South Armagh. ........

It has? Whats the name of this place? Details, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

Nodin wrote: »
    It has? Whats the name of this place? Details, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLGNiPP8mk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

LOL

Him giving out about funding?

Wee Wilie's paranoia has finally drove the man insane it seems. Says a lot about a poster when he supplies "evidence" that man to back up his outlandish claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I asked you for the name and details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

I think it might be worth looking at transferring certain strongly Nationalist border areas to The Republic, such as the west bank of The Foyle, Strabane and Newry/South Armagh. Years ago these had plenty of Unionists in them (15 000 lived in the west bank of The Foyle, only about 500 now), but they were driven out or left through fear so the process today would be much easier. Of course, those living in the areas concerned would have to have a vote and The Republic would have to agree. Those not wanting the process could be compensated and perhaps move a few miles back into NI.

It's definitely feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are we EVER gong to get over this "800 years" mentality in this country?!

Yes the English conquered the country in the last century but back then that was considered acceptable statecraft and they certainly weren't the only ones to subjugate indigenous populations in the pursuit of expanding their empires.

Times change and despite atrocities committed by both sides, dialogue and negotiation has brought a workable peace to the population and yet every few weeks there's still threads like this popping up here.

We have more than enough problems in this country at the moment, both financially and and more importantly, our immature "me first" attitude to politics and citizenship in general. I think we'd be better off getting our own house in order before we start banging the "United Ireland" drum - never mind that there's no evidence to support that's what the people actually want.

I mean, who in their right mind would want to join this corrupt, backward parochial bankrupt little backwater anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

If you start re-drawing, where do you stop. East/ South East Antrim where there will always be a Unionist majority?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 the emperors innuendo

The whole concept of British Unionism is beginning to falter, not only here but also in Scotland. Perhaps the English should just stand back and accept that their day in the sun is now over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

The whole concept of British Unionism is beginning to falter, not only here but also in Scotland. Perhaps the English should just stand back and accept that their day in the sun is now over.

Polls don't bear you out.
    Over 70% of those populations wish to remain part of the UK.
    We have to keep voting until we change our mind in our union.

The sun has set a long time ago on the Empire. But they will let countries and dependencies decide their future. We see that in N. Ireland and the Falklands and yes Scotland. Scotland will be a near thing but they will vote no i.m.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I couldn't give a stuff what happens with the Irish border with the United Kingdom, however there does need to a be boundary commission to extend the Waterford city boundary into south kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I couldn't give a stuff what happens with the Irish border with the United Kingdom, however there does need to a be boundary commission to extend the Waterford city boundary into south kilkenny.

You'd have an easier time sorting out NI then sorting out Waterford/Kilkenny

Remember this? :D
    WATERFORD City Council has been accused of acting like Nazis.

The allegation was made by the former chairwoman of Kilkenny Co Council, Mary Hilda Cavanagh, on Friday.

She described Waterford City Council’s proposal to extend into County Kilkenny as something that “Hitler and his hench men” would try.

Cllr Cavanagh said that looking back through history, it was obvious that the cause of World War II was the aggression shown by the Nazis and added that the actions of Waterford City, which wants to double its size at the expense of Co Kilkenny, reminded her of that dark period.

Some fighting talk :eek:
    “We had them before in our history and defeated them and I would like Waterford City Council to take note, there is no room for landgrabbers around here,” he said.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/waterford_city_council_compared_to_nazis_as_boundary_row_hots_up_1_2152735

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

British and English are not synonymous, and there are many in England who would be glad to rid of the expense and problems that come with being joined to Scotland/NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

goose2005 wrote: »
    Do they? [London]Derry city might, but not the county. And isn't south Down strongly protestant?

County Derry has a small Catholic majority and South Down elects more nationalist MLA's than Unionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

Where exactly would these new counties go?

From being ruled by London to be ruled by Berlin?

I presonally would like to see a united Ireland no matter what it costs financially. Even if that were to be under her majesty I would welcome it. Anything is better than being ruled by the incompetent gombeens that pass as the political class in this failed state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 the emperors innuendo

golfball37 wrote: »
    Where exactly would these new counties go?

From being ruled by London to be ruled by Berlin?

I presonally would like to see a united Ireland no matter what it costs financially. Even if that were to be under her majesty I would welcome it. Anything is better than being ruled by the incompetent gombeens that pass as the political class in this failed state.

Who ever envisaged a 26 county state to begin with? The idea was only pieced together at the last moment with no long term thought put into it. The first and second largest cities on the island are divided by an international border? Its nonsense, the island is not big enough to function properly with 2 states, there should only be one.

Who ever envisaged a 26 county state? The idea was only pieced together at the last moment with no long term thought put into it. The first and second largest cities on the island are divided by an international border? Its nonsense, the island is not big enough to function properly with 2 states, there should be only one.
    Northern Ireland has been a country since 1921. A lot longer than many countries in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

whitelines wrote: »
    I think it might be worth looking at transferring certain strongly Nationalist border areas to The Republic, such as the west bank of The Foyle, Strabane and Newry/South Armagh. Years ago these had plenty of Unionists in them (15 000 lived in the west bank of The Foyle, only about 500 now), but they were driven out or left through fear so the process today would be much easier. Of course, those living in the areas concerned would have to have a vote and The Republic would have to agree. Those not wanting the process could be compensated and perhaps move a few miles back into NI.

It's definitely feasible.

So the city of Derry will be partitioned too? I don't see how that's feasible, nor am I seeing and demand from the people of the city that it be split in two. Repartition is completely unnecessary and defeats the entire purpose of the Belfast Agreement.

Advertisement