Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Test my Radio Application

• 31-03-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

If anyone is willing to test my radio application, i would appreciate it.

If you decide to help, can you let me know:
    • What Operating system you're using
    • What version of internet explorer you have
    • what version of flash payer you have
    • Any errors or problems you encounter
    • CPU load from the application
    • Design recommendations or anything else

Doesn't transmit any info anywhere, doesn't need to be installed, is clean of spyware, virus' etc...

Download from my Dropbox here: http://db.tt/MYOQPvxO

eirefm_screenshot.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Nice one. I like it and will use it.

Few suggestions;
    1. Would be nice if I could switch between stations using the arrow keys on the keyboard

2. No way to control volume or even to quickly mute from within the app. Not a biggie I suppose :P

3. Internet radio -- imagine if people could add their favourite stations to your application or if they could choose from stations different to the 12 you have there.

4. Why an exe -- Have you considered a website that would bring all of these stations together into one place? Also easier to add features instead of hoping people will keep coming back for the latest exe ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

MagicRon wrote: »
    Nice one. I like it and will use it.

Few suggestions;
    1. Would be nice if I could switch between stations using the arrow keys on the keyboard

This could be easily implemented, since it minimises to the tray, what about a sequence such as ctrl+r or something to change without maximising the app each time?

2. No way to control volume or even to quickly mute from within the app. Not a biggie I suppose :P

Will put this in asap

3. Internet radio -- imagine if people could add their favourite stations to your application or if they could choose from stations different to the 12 you have there.

My plan was to add as many stations as i could, then have people add favourites like you suggested, already started this, that's why it asks for your name on first launch, so it has a profile to keep your favourites in :)

4. Why an exe -- Have you considered a website that would bring all of these stations together into one place? Also easier to add features instead of hoping people will keep coming back for the latest exe ;-)

Quite a good idea, once i've gotten the application right, i'll draw up a plan for something like this. thanks

I originally made the application for personal use in work, something that hid in the icon dock, people wouldn't see tabs or having to type in the address of each station but decided others might like it too, nothing fancy, it just works.

Decided to put it out there with a few small tweaks, thanks for your help Ron, will work on your suggested features!

http://eirefm.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

For an avid radio listener like me, this is a super litttle program. I can't add much to the advise from 'MagicRon', except I'd like a large mute button. I'll post feedback later.

After using for two days, found the following errors when I select 'Spin 103.8' , see screenshots attached.

The truncated message in screenshot #2 reads :-
    "Line: 16
    Error: Requiring module "ServerJS" that has not been loaded yet. Did you forget to run arc build?”

Hope this is helpfull, details of my system:-
    Win 7 Home Premium (v6.1 - build 7601:SP1), IE v9.0.8112.16421, CPU=00, Memory= 58,736K, Flash Plugin = v11.2.202.228

• Advertisement

Thanks for the report, very much appreciated.

i'll push out an update asap

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭windowlicker

What Operating system you're using
    Windows 7 64bit
    What version of internet explorer you have
    what version of flash payer you have
    Any errors or problems you encounter
    None
    CPU load from the application
    Very Little
    Design recommendations or anything else
    Try to remove the leave page dialog if possible

What Operating system you're using
    Windows 7 64bit
    What version of internet explorer you have
    what version of flash payer you have
    Any errors or problems you encounter
    None
    CPU load from the application
    Very Little
    Design recommendations or anything else
    Try to remove the leave page dialog if possible

Working on a way to suppress the dialog box on RTE radio's. Thanks for the info, very much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nice app. :)

Suggestion:
    Needs volume and mute controls.

Question:
    Why did my firefox cookie alerts pop up (at least it looked like them) when I loaded it? FF is not my default browser, chrome is.

OBS:
    XP pro 2Gb
    CPU: negligible.
    Mem: 4080K
    Threads: 1
    No apparent leaks.
    Shows a windows folder as an icon in task manager. edit: disregard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

What Operating system you're using:
    Windows 7

What version of internet explorer you have:
    9.0.8112.16421 64-bit

what version of flash payer you have:

Any errors or problems you encounter:
    1. Banners on bottom don't make much sense for many channels. E.g. RTE shows a question mark button which doesn't do anything when clicked and Tipp FM shows a top section of a web page that has no text.
    2. Application makes a lot of clicking noises when loading Spin FM.
    3. The application isn't showing up in my task bar when open.
    4. Get attached error when clicking on Spin FM.

CPU load from the application:
    CPU - low
    Memory - 1,380k

Design recommendations or anything else:
    Put in a volume control.

I'm not a fan of radio so not something I'd plan on using even if you get it working well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

nice little app thanks Blikes.. haven't noticed any problems yet apart from a bit of buffering.. have you configured the app to use a certain buffer/latency or is it just bounced from the original stream?

Thanks dyer, original stream so how good the playback is will depend on how fast the users broadband will be.

Aswerty, Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

I've removed the banner thing you're talking about in an updated version, now it just shows the logo in the banner placement area.

Boards doesn't allow me to edit the original post for some reason so any updated version will be at www.eirefm.wordpress.com.

I'll get round to the volume control and design changes mentioned here but it was just a quick personal project for work that i thought i'd release, others might find it useful so i don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it, just get it stable and nice for other people that might find it useful and leave it at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Blikes wrote: »
    Thanks dyer, original stream so how good the playback is will depend on how fast the users broadband will be.

that would be my wireless broadband so :)

passed this on to a friend in Vietnam he was glad to have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i like
    will post more on tuesday cos i listen to the radio at work

updated with Mute button, no more "are you sure" boxes when switching from rte to another station, few bug fixes.

once again, can't edit original post so updated version at eirefm.wordpress.com

Thanks, that's fixed to issues I had and the mute button works great. Don't mean to be pickie but the mute, gives no indication whether it's on or off :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hey!

Nice work :O I really like this and am going to use it!

Btw, you should add The Spin Party to the list of radio stations :P

Good job!

lee3155 wrote: »
    Hey!

Nice work :O I really like this and am going to use it!

Btw, you should add The Spin Party to the list of radio stations :P

Good job!

Is Spin Party not just a show on spin108 on saturdays?

PS, if you have any station requests, leave a reply and i'll try get them into it before i finish it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Hi blikes clicked on your link in post #1 and got an option to download the box if I answered five of their links to multi-part questions.

Any chance your app will ever become a stand-alone site for Irish radio?
    be great if it could because as you know many Countries have their stations available online(usually include an unwanted BHO)

Perhaps boards.ie would host it for you(well no harm in asking them)
    best of luck with your project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

PS, if you have any station requests, leave a reply and i'll try get them into it before i finish it up.
    Cheers Blikes, everyone in work is using it!!

One of the lads from Galway requested iradio, he reckons it's class

No issues to report though :)

• Advertisement

timesnap wrote: »
    Hi blikes clicked on your link in post #1 and got an option to download the box if I answered five of their links to multi-part questions.

Any chance your app will ever become a stand-alone site for Irish radio?
    be great if it could because as you know many Countries have their stations available online(usually include an unwanted BHO)

Perhaps boards.ie would host it for you(well no harm in asking them)
    best of luck with your project.

Hey, it's now hosted at www.eirefm.wordpress.com. the link in post one is dead, sorry about that.

I've been thinking about it but i don't know enough about web design yet but i bought a couple of books on it so hopefully i'll get something up once the app is finished and stable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

Hey, it's now hosted at www.eirefm.wordpress.com. the link in post one is dead, sorry about that.
    I've been thinking about it but i don't know enough about web design yet but i bought a couple of books on it so hopefully i'll get something up once the app is finished and stable!

Thanks Blikes,downloaded it from that wordpress URL,then remembered I had no program to extract it as it is a Rar file.

Downloaded this free extractor from Cnet.com.
    http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Extract-Frog/3000-2250_4-10804840.html

I just tested and it is working great,no problems at all switching channels.
    If Irish radio channels have any sense they will get behind you.

Squ wrote: »
    Cheers Blikes, everyone in work is using it!!

One of the lads from Galway requested iradio, he reckons it's class

No issues to report though :)

Thanks for the support :)

Added iRadio for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Is Spin Party not just a show on spin108 on saturdays?

Haven't a clue tbh! I listen to it @ http://thespinparty.com/

They use shoutcast and it's a constant stream of party music! Pretty awesome :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hi Blikes
    App is really nice, easy interface and does what it says on the tin.
    I listen to a LOT of internet radio - will definitely use it.....

I appreciate that you're doing this as a personal project but here are a couple of suggestions you might consider if you have time:
    - the mute is very useful, but there is no way to unmute except re-select the station you were playing. Maybe an option to click the mute button again? (would be intuitive)
    - an option to add in your own stations (whether Irish or not). Would prefer to do it from the app itself rather than a web/ portal page. That way if the portal/web page goes, you can still continue to use the app.

Hardware: Intel Core i7 2600k on Intel motherboard and 16Gb DDR3 1866Mhz ram
    IE: Internet Explorer 9
    Flash: 11.1.102.55 (64bit)
    CPU load: negligible
    Mem load: 2.3Mb (no leaks even undder load)
    problem area: For some unknown reason, my firewall's security policies squawk every time I launch the app. I have set up an exception rule, but it still whinges about malicious activity. I had a good look, but I could not see any actiivty that would cause it to moan. Its not a biggie as once the warning is killed, it stays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

When I first ran it , it asked me for my name
    could you not just take this from the user profile

would make program faster on first startup

Updated with a new arrangement.
    TheJournal.ie news ticker.
    Faster Start up and radio connection time.

New version at www.eirefm.wordpress.com

Advertisement