Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you're out shopping..

• 11-10-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Do you find it ok to just leave items lying around a shop? Leave the shoes on the floor instead of the shelf you took them from?
    knock stuff off hangers and leave them on the floor?

....Let your children run around a shop playing, 'dress-up'?

Anyone going to admit to this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Do you find it ok to just leave items lying around a shop? Leave the shoes on the floor instead of the shelf you took them from?
    knock stuff off hangers and leave them on the floor?

....Let your children run around a shop playing, 'dress-up'?

Anyone going to admit to this?

No I get mortified if I disturb the display and try to tidy it up.

If I've tried stuff on then I either find an assistant and give it back to them or buy it.

Kinda amazes me when I go into a dressing room and it's full of stuff.

That said, I only shop regularly in about ten specific shops, and know most of the assistants.

The attitude you speak of is kinda like going into McD's etc and leaving all the refuse on the table, just bad manners imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I know, I find it so ignorant, yet from watching people I'd imagine more than half of female shoppers don't give a sh*t if they make a mess or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

The only time i wouldn't put stuff back properly is if i would lose my place in a queue and was in a hurry, thats pretty much only groceries though and very rare. I don't let my daughter out of my sight in a store, she's either strapped in her buggy, holding my hand or at home. Having said that if my daughter is tired and having a cry or being mischievous i really don't appreciate other people looking down on me or discussing my life being a failure due to the 5 mins of a crying child that they've seen. Respect should be too you and from you, not a one way street. I think people are all too quick to judge others negatively and make excuses for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I'm often shocked at how many people knock things off rails, look back & then keep walking. Like it wasn't them, but some mysterious gust of wind !

I always leave clothes back. If I can't find the exact place, I leave it near something similar.

I can admit that on a very cranky day in a certain shop, the assistants were very ignorant/unhelpful, so my mother and I dumped all the shoes we tried on around the place as a form of petty revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

No, this wrecks my head.
    I worked in a book shop during college. Once this couple came in and started reading magazines, kids ran over to the children's section and proceeded to take all the books off the lower shelves and dumps them on the ground.
    This happened all the time, particularly on Saturdays/Sundays. People seemed to view the shop as a sort of creche. Also had a woman come in once who recognised one of the assistants as her neighbour and asked her if she'd mind watching the little one while she just popped into Dunnes to get some groceries. :confused::confused::confused:
    Worked briefly in a clothing store too; people seem to delight in picking up freshly folded tops to look at them before dumping them in a crumpled rag back on the shelf/floor/anywhere else. Not to mention dropping clothes off rails, picking something off one rail, walking to the other side of the shop with it and dropping it there. Ah well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Worked in a toy shop for 5 years while in school/college.. I know that this is going to get a reaction around here but women are a 10000% time worse for this than men.

Women very rarely told their kid off or told them to put stuff back - even after their kid destroyed the joint. I have watched men make their kids to put stuff back in the right place on countless occassions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Used to work in Clerys and it's thing's like that, that made me quit.

Old women grabbing a whole stack of towels, unfolding them, giving them a rub and throwing them back down in a big ball... Drove me mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Find it so bloody rude like because then you can't find anything in your size etc. it's not that goddamn hard to put a jumper back folded. Penny's is atrocious for that kind of behaviour. My friend works there with two years and I don't know how she sticks it. The men's section is NEVER like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I know, I find it so ignorant, yet from watching people I'd imagine more than half of female shoppers don't give a sh*t if they make a mess or not.

Pennys is the worst, just walking around it is like trying to wade through somebodies attic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

God, I worked in Faith Shoes for 3 years....and every now and again certain people would come in, and you would just know by them that they probably werent going to buy anything....anyways you would get people in who would ask for about 8 different styles of shoes, each in 2 sizes....so I would go into the stockroom, get the 16 pairs of shoes, and when i would come out, the person would have ruined the displays....taking down stuff and throwing it on the floor.....even going over to the window displays (which had signs on them saying 'PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH DISPLAY') and usually they would ignore the sign and pull off random shoes....then they would waste an hour of my time trying rakes of shoes on, sending them back, asking for loads more shoes, then would leave without buying anything.

Now i have no problem with someone genuinely asking for a lot of sizes cos they're unsure about what they want, but the people im talking about above were seriously taking the píss....one of these people used to come in EVERY WEEK and do the same thing....everyone hated to see her coming, but cos of customer service and that ya couldnt say anything, and just had to put up with it....

AHHH I HATE THAT SORT OF THING!!!!

*rant over* :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

bnagrrl wrote: »
    No, this wrecks my head.
    I worked in a book shop during college. Once this couple came in and started reading magazines, kids ran over to the children's section and proceeded to take all the books off the lower shelves and dumps them on the ground.
    This happened all the time, particularly on Saturdays/Sundays. People seemed to view the shop as a sort of creche. Also had a woman come in once who recognised one of the assistants as her neighbour and asked her if she'd mind watching the little one while she just popped into Dunnes to get some groceries. :confused::confused::confused:
    Worked briefly in a clothing store too; people seem to delight in picking up freshly folded tops to look at them before dumping them in a crumpled rag back on the shelf/floor/anywhere else. Not to mention dropping clothes off rails, picking something off one rail, walking to the other side of the shop with it and dropping it there. Ah well. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean...thats why I couldnt work in Penneys or TK Maxx....if i had spent ages folding loads of clothes and neatly arranging them, seeing people wreck them over and over again would probably make me mildly homicidal!!! :pac:

I have a shopping bud who does this and it makes me cringe.
    I genuinely think she gets pleasure from knowing someone will have to clean up her mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I have a shopping bud who does this and it makes me cringe.
    I genuinely think she gets pleasure from knowing someone will have to clean up her mess.

i thought thats what the floor staff were paid to do

if it's not what do they actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Find it so bloody rude like because then you can't find anything in your size etc. it's not that goddamn hard to put a jumper back folded. Penny's is atrocious for that kind of behaviour. My friend works there with two years and I don't know how she sticks it. The men's section is NEVER like that!

I find this and the claim that men are more likely to tell their kid off for misbehaving in a shop surprising, would've thought women would be better for putting things back neatly and wanting to leave the place more-or-less as they found it since women tend to be more concerned about having a tidy home....:confused:
    But then again, I suppose, I have seen many female bedrooms that look like someone planted bombs in every drawer and closet, spreading the clothing, underwear and all, all over the room....:eek: Thankfully yet to see an incident of clothing hanging from the lightshade, that'd just be too weird....

As to the response that that's what the staff are paid for that's just disrespectful IMO, they're paid to keep the place neat, not to be a personal maid/butler to a customer, following them around and cleaning up after them.

ntlbell wrote: »
    i thought thats what the floor staff were paid to do

if it's not what do they actually do?

*cough*ingnoranceisbliss?*cough*

I'm floor staff, I'm paid to take deliveries, work on tills, pack out stock, do reductions, deal with customers and tidy in the evenings.

What disgusts me in particular is when a customer sees you trying to get a load of work done, and just dumps stuff around the place.

Well i'd say its part of the job they're paid to do but making a mess and leaving it in a state because its their job is just ignorant. Its not that hard to put something back on a rail and make a loose attempt at folding a jumper. Theres usually jumpers unfolded anyhow so why do people not look at those instead of unfolding others :confused:

Although i used to work in a department store and we were so bored we'd be delighted if people messed up a few things or spent an hour trying on different sizes so we had something to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

*cough*ingnoranceisbliss?*cough*

I'm floor staff, I'm paid to take deliveries, work on tills, pack out stock, do reductions, deal with customers and tidy in the evenings.

What disgusts me in particular is when a customer sees you trying to get a load of work done, and just dumps stuff around the place.

Don't be throwing your ignorance is bliss comments at me.

I don't leave your store in a mess.

Nor do I go around with my mother throwing shoes around because I wasn't please with how I was dealt.

I asked it as a question as I was curious as I know shops who hire staff to do nothing else but to keep the place looking tip top all day.

It would be a bit like a lounge staff complaining he had to pick up peoples glasses and why don't they bring the glass to the bar instead of leaving it on the table and why when eating in a restraunt does one not bring their plates into the kitchen? because there's people paid to clean up after you it's added in the cost of the meal

also when you go into a dressing room it seems to be the norm in most places to just leave what your not buying in the dressing room in one shop i was bring clothes out and the girl asked me was i taken them all i said no just one item and she said i could just leave the rest on the floor in the dressing room they had staff to get the stuff back out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I work in retail and have no problem with people moving my displays, picking items up to look at them and leaving them down further down the shop etc. I do have a problem with people allowng their kids into the windows (the stands there are mostly for show and can't handle anything more than a boot), it's dangerous. I also hate women who try a shoe on, and leave it on the floor. It's also dangerous. And hate people who pull the bottom jumper from a pile and don't even make an effort to stop the rest from falling. Those people are bastards, big difference between making work for a shop girl and making a mess. The latter people are also the ones who take frozen food out of the freezers in Tesco and leave it melt onto the cornflakes section too I swear! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

On a slightly different note, I was in M&S Liffey Valley today and in the underwear changing rooms there was a sign saying that if you were wearing fake tan, they wouldn't allow you to try on the underwear. Doesn't seem to be being enforced as I have it on and they let me through, but I suppose it makes sense as it often gets onto things, especially white stuff.

Opinions?

• Advertisement

I think thats fair enough, theres usually make up scarves so you can't get make up on the clothes, why should you be allowed get fake tan on clothes?

Pythia wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, I was in M&S Liffey Valley today and in the underwear changing rooms there was a sign saying that if you were wearing fake tan, they wouldn't allow you to try on the underwear. Doesn't seem to be being enforced as I have it on and they let me through, but I suppose it makes sense as it often gets onto things, especially white stuff.

Opinions?

I lived in Japan for a while. Some shops there don't allow you wear shoes into a changing room and they give you a mesh type bag to put over your head when you're trying things on so you don't get make-up all over the clothes. I think it's a good thing. So many times I've been in shops here, admiring a nice white or light coloured top, then saw the fabric around the neck are covered in orange foundation/fake tan or found a black top with deodorant marks all over it.

taram wrote: »
    I work in retail and have no problem with people moving my displays, picking items up to look at them and leaving them down further down the shop etc. I do have a problem with people allowng their kids into the windows (the stands there are mostly for show and can't handle anything more than a boot), it's dangerous. I also hate women who try a shoe on, and leave it on the floor. It's also dangerous. And hate people who pull the bottom jumper from a pile and don't even make an effort to stop the rest from falling. Those people are bastards, big difference between making work for a shop girl and making a mess. The latter people are also the ones who take frozen food out of the freezers in Tesco and leave it melt onto the cornflakes section too I swear! :mad:

Hear, hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I usually make an effort to not make a mess after me but when I look at tops that are folded neatly, I don't bother trying to put them back as they were, I can't fold that neatly and I dont have time to, thats usually what the shop assistants are hired and payed for, I thought. I always pick up clothes that I knock on the floor though.
    If I worked in a shop, I would like to have something to do to pass the time. Some of the girls in there look bored out of their skulls, others annoy me when I clearly am looking for assistance and there are 3 of them nattering away there behind the counter :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

It annoys me that most people believe that shop assistant are only good for walking around behind people picking up the trail of mess they leave.

Had a horrible day in work today, was one of those days where people just came in looked at an item then threw it on the floor. Currently have 1/4 of the store in sale which gets trashed just as soon as you have tidied it. Began cleaning the sale section at 5 today and took me until 6 to finish because as I was cleaning people were following me and destroying the rail again as I continued onto the next bay, picking things up and throwing them on the floor or the table behind them!

Here's an example just to show how ignorant people are and how useless and thick the public seem to think shop assistants are:
    Talking to a customer on friday just general chit chat etc. and she turns around to me and said, you are wasted here, you should be in college doing teaching or something, I replied with, I am in college doing early childhood studies, she nearly dropped to the floor in shock that someone working in retail actually had some brains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

taram wrote: »
    The latter people are also the ones who take frozen food out of the freezers in Tesco and leave it melt onto the cornflakes section too I swear! :mad:

Hey all, first post here in the ladies lounge. I used to work in a supermarket myself and the amount of crap people would throw around the tills because they decided they didn't want it is rediculous. Frozen foods and stuff that belongs in freezers isn't supposed to go back if it's out for say more than half an hour so there was always a huge amount of stuff wasted when people could easily hand it to any employee and tell them they don't actually want it, we'd put it back no bother.

More on topic though, I always have to pick up something I've knocked but somethings I just can't manage to put on a hanger right so I have to just leave it on top of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Julie Uneven Weed

I work in a music shop and absolutely hate when customers come in and randomly move cd's and dvd's. The worst is when they let their kids roam around the shop and the kids are knocking things over, or just leaving stuff all over the floor and then walking out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I worked in a clothes shop that had some elaborate clothing displays put on, it use to kill me when people would come in and look for a certain size, I'd go over and offer to get the said size. Usually it was met with a please **** off I can get it myself look, then they'd proceed to mess everything up:mad:

Ye one of my duties was to tidy up, but ffs when I offered to help at least accept!:rolleyes:

I always ask if there's anything I can help with, because I know where things go, I generally know whether we'll have their size or not, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Depends on a lot of things. If you are picking through a sale table the day after Thanksgiving (Stateside) or the day after Christmas, things tend to get a bit tossed about by everyone in their panic to grab that discounted item in the right size before they're all gone. It's like a feeding frenzy on those days!

Was shopping in a military surplus store the other day, and the whole place seemed to be mixed up and in disorder. Got a nice lads wool navy blue P-coat that I'll have taken in a bit about the waist for a price that was an absolute steal! But I felt no obligation to render order to their disorder upon leaving the racks or table piles.

Generally, I try to leave things arranged as I've found them, although at times I cannot achieve the fold of this or that after trying on a lot of clothes.

Advertisement