Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly veg*n friendly beers

• 23-04-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

So I was curious about trying some different drinks and had read before about a lot of beers being non-veg friendly.

However just checking Barnivore again now it seems like some of these have changed, for example, Leffe is now listed as OK, pretty sure it wasn't before :)

Well maybe I'm a year or two behind the curve here lol but just thought it would be useful to share any newly(ish) veg. beers/ciders, since the companies don't really shout about it too much.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

You could try this website: http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm

has a good list of beers, wines and spirits...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Check out Barnivore... there's a massive list of vegan friendly drinks on it. They may have even developed an App by now... I know they were going to. It's been helping to wean me off my beloved Beamish & Guinness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yeah Guinness... really, is it so difficult to change the stupid isinglass?

Their lame-a$$ excuse is "there's no suitable alternative", but...

Dublin Brewing Company were able to do it with their stout, so do all the other veg. stouts. :rolleyes:

cozski, what do you drink now instead of those two?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Peanut wrote: »
    Leffe is now listed as OK, pretty sure it wasn't before :)
    Leffe might be brewed under licence in the UK or something. You have to watch for this, recipes & methods change all around the world.

Also becareful of ignorant brewers. I got no reply from Jameson when I asked them if inisglass was used in the sherry which was stored in the casks which they later use. Things like this might be overlooked by a distiller, esp. a meat eating one.

rubadub wrote: »
    Leffe might be brewed under licence in the UK or something. You have to watch for this, recipes & methods change all around the world.

Yep, I have emailed them about this but haven't received a reply yet.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Also becareful of ignorant brewers. I got no reply from Jameson when I asked them if inisglass was used in the sherry which was stored in the casks which they later use. Things like this might be overlooked by a distiller, esp. a meat eating one.
    Yeah, in fairness it's probably very difficult to establish in some cases where the casks might not all be from the same supplier etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Peanut wrote: »
    Yeah, in fairness it's probably very difficult to establish in some cases where the casks might not all be from the same supplier etc.
    Then they should just say its not vegan if they have doubts, just like so many products will say there might be traces of nuts etc in their food.

Got a reply from InBev :):):)
    Comment : Hi, Can you tell me is Leffe sold outside of the UK also suitable for vegetarians, or just the UK version? Thanks

Thank you very much for your interest in our products. Please be advised that all of our Leffe beers are brewed in Leuven, Belgium so the quality and ingredients are the same around the world.

No animal products are used in the ingredients or as part of the brewing process for any of our varieties of Leffe, so they are suitable for vegetarians.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Peter Constantinou
    Customer Services

http://www.talktoabinbev.com

Advertisement