Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Write protected SD card?

• 21-12-2006 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Just put my 1GB SD card into my pc's card reader, and it gives me an error when I try delete/transfer data - says that it's write protected.

The little "lock" slide thingy on the side of the card is not set on the lock position, so I dont under stand why it wont let me transfer stuff :confused:

The file that is on it atm (a powerpoint slide) works perfectly?

Any ideas guys? Windows XP wont let me format it.

BTW: the powerpower slide wont let me edit it, same error of course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A few googles suggest putting a piece of tape over the lock, couple of people commented that it worked. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The lock isn't damaged or anything though.

What I meant to say was that the lock is in the non locked position, if ya get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

have you tried putting the card in say something else like a camera and seeing if you get the same error? it might be something to do with the card reader/pc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Bollix to it anyway, I tried another card I had lying around, and got the same error.

The card reader is fecked. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips anyway guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC it's like the write protect on a floppy drive in that it's mechanical not electronic

try the slider on the card both ways so it pushes against the toggle inside the reader

a linux boot CD is one way to check if its a hardware or software problem, unless the vendor has a bootable cd than can check sd cards, if it turns out that is a software problem then you would have to remove and reinstall the sd reader in device manager

if it's an external reader they are quite cheap so easy enough to replace
    if it's built in then have a word with the vendor

• Advertisement
Advertisement