Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Mk3 dials problem

• 16-01-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have been having an intermittent problem with my ST TDCi (Mk3 - 05) in that we have been driving along for the past few weeks and the dials suddenly all drop to zero, swish around to max and then resume their normal position. In addition, the fuel range drops like a stone and the ESP light activates itself.

There is no loss of power and the next time the ignition is switched on, the ESP light switches itself off.

I have noticed once or twice that the battery light flickers for 1/2 seconds about 1 minute before the dials have their dance.

Do I have a battery problem or is it an electronics problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Theres a fault with the ford dails, it's common in the MK1 focus. It will probably have to be changed. Best call your nearest dealer for a quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Theres a fault with the ford dails, it's common in the MK1 focus. It will probably have to be changed. Best call your nearest dealer for a quote.

....I'd hold the horses there;)
    Not all ford dails are faulty, I've sold possibly hundreds of mk3 mondys in my time, and never came across this issue the OP is experiencing.

My first point of call is a diagnosis with someone who does what they are doing ie. not necessariliy are ford dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I've been on to my mechanic and he'll try a multimeter on it and see what happens from there.

I'd searched on the Net for people who had mentioned similar issues but nobody had given any finalised solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

If I remember correctly gauge sweeps on the mk3 are commonly an indication of low battery voltage and therefore nearly time for a new battery.

If I remember correctly gauge sweeps on the mk3 are commonly an indication of low battery voltage and therefore nearly time for a new battery.
    I hope you're right as it could be the alternator as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ....I'd hold the horses there;)
    Not all ford dails are faulty, I've sold possibly hundreds of mk3 mondys in my time, and never came across this issue the OP is experiencing.

My first point of call is a diagnosis with someone who does what they are doing ie. not necessariliy are ford dealer.

My 2002 focus went haywire when I had it after I changed the battery, I sold it before I had to change it. The sister bought one same year 2002 that had the dials changed at 68k.

I should have said "Theres a fault with the some of the ford dails."

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

low battery, faulty battery connection or alternater. nothing too expensive to sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I m 99 percent sure it s the battery, I had the same symptoms on my Mazda 6 when battery was going empty. I repalaced the battery and the problem was solved.
    What happens is when you try to start the car all the dials jump to the right and back.

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I m 99 percent sure it s the battery, I had the same symptoms on my Mazda 6 when battery was going empty. I repalaced the battery and the problem was solved.
    What happens is when you try to start the car all the dials jump to the right and back.
    That sounds exactly like it, I'll report back tomorrow when the missus takes the car to the motor factors to get a new battery (or at least get the current one tested).

Update:

The battery on the car is 100% so it looks like it could possible be the alternator. Will drop the car to my mechanic tomorrow and will give a progress update on it later that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

dcr22B wrote: »
    Update:

The battery on the car is 100% so it looks like it could possible be the alternator. Will drop the car to my mechanic tomorrow and will give a progress update on it later that day.

new one = 400 euro
    recondition = 100 euro

Final update:

Turns out that it was only the battery thank God! When my wife went to the motor factors, he had said to her that it was the original battery from 2005 and while the battery tester might see it as good, there was no harm in getting a second opinion as he didn't have a multimeter to hand.

My mechanic ran a battery tester on it yesterday and it came back fine but when he ran the multimeter on it, it was nearly dead as a dodo so he changed the battery and I told him to take it for a long test drive. He did about 50 miles or so (the dial sweep would happen only 3/4 miles into every journey for the past few weeks) and there was no problems at all.

My next project is getting the injectors changed so off to the credit union I go to get a loan to sort them out!

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

Advertisement