Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat or Freeview available in Ireland??

• 01-05-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new 26" tele, as old one is dying on me. I've got two sat dishes on my roof (which I don't use) from previous owner and thought maybe I should buy one of those teles with an inbuilt sat tuner or whatever (not very knowledgable on that) and use those dishes. So looked on Argos and saw a few teles I like - for example this one

All of them have Integrated digital (freeview), but is says that:

Please note that the Digital (Freeview) features mentioned are not compatible with digital signals broadcast in the Republic of Ireland.
    Freeview compatibility
    Freeview - Only available to domestic customers. All channels are subject to coverage and may be changed from time to time. Reception may depend on the type and condition of your existing aerial. Aerial upgrade may be required. Find out if you can get Freeview ... text your postcode to 83331* or visit www.freeview.co.uk. *Costs no more than a normal text. Please note: Freeview is not available in the Republic of Ireland.

So is it something else I should be looking for or am I looking at the wrong thing alltogether? Would like to avoid buying a separate sat tuner, as have enough boxes sitting on the shelf already (NTL box, DVD recorder and X-Box)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Freeview is the name of the digital terrestrial system in the UK. It is incompatible with the standards that we will use (MPEG-4). Check out the Terrestrial thread for loads more information.

If you want to try and future-proof your purchase, there's a growing list of compatible TV models in the Terrestrial forum. Need to ensure the TV support MPEG-4 and MHEG-5 for interactive services (digital teletext, for example).

For NTL/UPC, you'll almost certainly be using a scart connection or better, not bothing with the tuner in the TV unless you want to watch the analogue channels as well (until they, too, are turned off).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Freesat = Dish pointed at 28.2E. All of Ireland.
    Freeview = UK Terrestrial Digital via TV aerial, not Dish. very limited areas of reception.

A separate sat tuner (freesat) with built in HDD (PVR) for recording is best. You'll hardly need NTL or DVD recording. Only DVD playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Ah! I mixed up free-sat with free-view! But there are TVs that have inbuilt free sat tuners? Do I have at least that right? i will check out the terrestrial forum, too, for more info. Many thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Currently only Panasonic do TV's with built in Freesat. Cracking TV's though ! LG are due to launch a range very shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

cltt97 wrote: »
    Ah! I mixed up free-sat with free-view! But there are TVs that have inbuilt free sat tuners? Do I have at least that right? i will check out the terrestrial forum, too, for more info. Many thanks guys!

just to muddy the water even more there is a freesat from sky(requires a card and directly only available from sky)

At the same location is freesat from ITV/BBC,not meant for R.O.I either but only requires a UK postcode to be inputted(no card and free HD)

both provide more or less the same channels but if its simply freesat you want the bbc/itv version is more user friendly in the R.O.I.

word of warning:currently UTV STV&another region of ITV do not provide free HD,so be careful what postcode you choose:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

cltt97 wrote: »
    Ah! I mixed up free-sat with free-view!

Along with 95% of the confused Irish population! Freeview stickers should be taken off display TV's etc in this country. Its leading punters up the garden path!

If i was you mate id get a TV with a DVBT Mpeg 4 tuner and then get a separate freesat HD box (Cheap enough from argos in the north).

You should be well set up then for lots of channels for free.

I think the NI postcode on a freesat box now works with ITVHD. MY HD freesat boxes i have are setup using a london postcode.

See the terrestrial sticky threads for MPEG4 TV's - I think the Panasonic Freesat TV's were reported as working with Irish DTT (at least in terms of decoding the pictures).

See here for a list of all Freesat compatible TV's

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/televisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

ynotdu wrote: »
    word of warning:currently UTV STV&another region of ITV do not provide free HD,so be careful what postcode you choose:)

This is not an issue any more - freesat boxes have ITV London on channel 977 while UTV would be on 103 when you use a NI postcode so that you can get ITV HD when programmes are shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thanks guys, the more I read, the more I realise that I haven't gotten the first clue about anything, I think I'm stuck in the last century or something. All this digital jargon is way over my head!!! I had a look at the Panasonics with Freesat, but they only come in sizes 32" upwards and I would like to get 26". Could possibly fit a 32" but built a shelfing system around my 26", so would have to change that. Also, they cost a bomb those teles... So can someone please educate me... If I get a sat tuner to receive freesat from the dish on my roof and preferably one that has a hard drive then I'm sorted on that end (but what are DDT/Sat tuners, and can I get one of those for the future that will receive NTL and Free-Sat?), but what do I need to look at for a tele? One that has a DVBT Mpeg 4 tuner? (And what the heck is that for). I understand things like pixels and viewing angels, but the rest is way over my head... All help greatly appreciated, I start to understand why my Dad won't bother with mobile phones!!!!

OK, I think I'm getting somewhere... when there will only be digital TV one needs to have either a decoder or a tele that has that DVBT na MPEG4 tuner - like this one here

Yes - the panny's are pricey. They are a top end manufacturer known for reliability & quality - also few people doing Freesat TV's at the mo.

The 26" is what I'd like if someone would do one with built in Freesat/MPEG4 - I'd like it for the bedroom - so as not to need extra boxes. I can't see me finding one in the short term - so I'll have to stick to the 14" crt for now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Martin_F wrote: »
    Currently only Panasonic do TV's with built in Freesat. Cracking TV's though ! LG are due to launch a range very shortly.

Not quite true. My Pioneer krp-500a has a freesat turner with which I can pick up all the UK Freesat channels, BBC HD ect. Also I was under the impression that the Irish Panasonic range of TV's do not have the freesat turner only the Uk models. Supposedly Irish retailers are not supposed to sell the UK models due to licencing issues. However I agree with the lads the whole thing only leads to confusion for consumers.

Advertisement