Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Well, here I am finally with the courage to post and admit that I am " anxious ".

Had a bad turn in February where I thought I was fainting and was sent home from work and was told by Doc it was probably Vertigo. However, it was eventually found to be panic attacks caused by anxiety as I have long suffered with OCD and am a constant worrier.

Have been referred to a councillor and am due for a second visit this weekend. I constantly have a heavyness in my head, like a dense headache and now and then it feels like my head is going to explode! Fed up of it at this stage, especially as my life is actually quite good, no genuine worries that some of those in the current economy face, so it makes it really hard to understand.

Constantly worry about getting sick, dying, my image, my kids getting hurt, if I hurt them, etc, etc and am SO tired by it all I'm in bed most nights by 10!

Any advice is much welcomed and I hope this board can both give and take help from fellow sufferers.

Thanks,

Paul
    I could have written the above 2 years ago.

I find writing down the things I worry about very helpful. Sometimes your mind go's a million miles and hour and writing it down can help put it in perspective. If you recognise that your anxious (Perfectly natural to be when your mind is going over so many scenarios) and your seeing a councilor then your on the right path :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

thats what i'm in the process of doing.... through CBT.

i've got a tsk were i gotta go out to the pub in a town 15 miles from where i live...

i was ****ting bricks on monday... and very very anxious... but i'm finding the CBT a real help.... costly but worth it if it sorts me out...

Anyone thinking of going to CBT.... i recommend it.... its NOT easy sometimes but worth it...

when you get to examine your thoughts and how wrong they are.....

tikkaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I thought I might be better to move my post here from Personal Issues, I hope ye don't mind!

I was diagnosed recently with 'reactive' depression by a psyciatrist and have been as a result medicated for this. I have been suffering now for a number of years, but failed to do anything due to my family situation.

I set the wheels in motion over a year ago by going to my GP, he was very helpful and sorted me out with a councellor and that. I was put on anti-depressants back then and didn't feel as if they were having any impact on me, I just felt the same and even worse at times.

I think that my depression come from my family past and also a tragic loss of a cousin whoc was like a sister to me over seven years ago. I have been attending councelling and taking my medication but being honest I feel that I am as low as I can go!

By this I mean I have self-harmed for almost a year now, I'm trying each day to stop but I just can't. To make things worse I have college exams starting in two weeks! When I say that I am low, I mean I don't trust myself. Something I have felt before but now fell more unsure of!

I have mentioned it to my psyciatrist, but I don't think that she is actually thinging anything into the way I am thinking and feeling.

I won't lie nobody except her knows how I feel, and I do fear the consequences if I say anything further...

What should I do?

The best thing you can do is try to let someone close know how your feeling....

i know just where you are right now.... and i know its tough believe me i've been to hell and back this last few months,

i felt to embarrassed to talk with my family thinking they wouldn't understand..... but my mums really trying to see things from my point of view...

i've just found out recently that i suffer from social anxiety, and my confidence in myself has always been real low...

i find it difficult to deal with talking to strangers and sometimes friends... and just clam up and panic, thinking they can see whats wrong...!!!

to try and have the confidence to ask a female out puts my into panic mode....

and i met someone through photography forum.... and she was due to come over to see me..... i thought i could deal with it.... but i totally shut down she got hurt, and i went spirling outta control, panicing and drove myself into hospital, with chest pains and weight loss....

SO please don't think your alone out there and if you wish to just talk.... then talk...

my inbox is open if you wish to talk as it is for anyone...

you gotta look after yourself....

take care...

tikkaman.

Also tonights my task night, and i'm currently trying my best to hold it together..

fingers crossed i don't freek out in the bar........ :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

tikkaman wrote: »
    Also tonights my task night, and i'm currently trying my best to hold it together..

fingers crossed i don't freek out in the bar........ :(

I get really bad physical sensations going into social events, I get a gaggy feeling in my throat and when that hits my head goes mental.

Best of luck with your task :)

sound like you and me suffer the same thing mate.... :( i'm currently trying to keep my dinner down here and not freek out about tonight,

i just feel like such a plonker for feeling like this..... :(

lifes never easy is it....?

and thanks ..

tikkaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

sound like you and me suffer the same thing mate.... :( i'm currently trying to keep my dinner down here and not freek out about tonight,

lifes never easy is it....?

and thanks ..

tikkaman.

Please dont feel odd for being like this. It's an illness that none of us can help. My thoughts and prayers will be with you tonight and I really hope it goes well for you - I really do. And, if it does, it will be a major milestone for you. But, if it doesn't, don't despair and please don't let it stop you trying again. :)

Just remember it's not your fault for being like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi new to this forum....been free from the grips of deppression for over 2 years it's creeped its ugly head back up for the last 2months..gone quickly into a down ward spiral..very low period..no feelings to describe just feel numb...have no concentration what so ever, have been off work for 3 weeks.
    Back on meds so AGAIN lexapro 20mg xanax and a sleeping tabled...seeing as how only gettin two hours a night. Im hoping this phase doesnt last long took 5weeks to get me back to work the last big episode...I'm really worried about loosing my job being out but my work is stressfull there is no way my head can take that at the moment......

thank god for ciggerets!!!!!:( can be lonely when awake all night

• Advertisement

Hey ashblag,

I found even just reading the thread here was a great comfort, just knowing others feel the same makes it less horrible. Plus with stories of success it's good inspiration too. Keep posting here

Thanks C_Dawg
    it's just hard being back here again...having to go through the whole period of waiting for the meds to kick in and work again.
    I just find myself sitting and staring into space a lot....No interest....
    Cancelling social events that a few months ago i would have been right up for.
    The mind is a scary scary thing:confused:
    I feel just frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday night alone sucks :(

C_Dawg wrote: »

i can totally agree with tht mate, my night out went ok, a few minor hic ups, and thinking errors, but i made it to the bar, and stayed for about 2 1/2 hours,

my cbt coach was with me... And was pointing out things i was freting over, but my anxiety was still there,

its a step in the right direction, my matter how hard it seemed at the time...

but on friday i felt like a total nut for feeling like this, while watching others smiply ENJOY themselves, or at least they looked like they did.

tikkaman...

i can totally agree with tht mate, my night out went ok, a few minor hic ups, and thinking errors, but i made it to the bar, and stayed for about 2 1/2 hours

Well done Tikkaman :)

It's not about making the giant leaps but the baby steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Alter_me

Just wondering does anyone here share a house or apartment with strangers? I might have to move soon, and I absolutely dread the thought of having to move in with strangers. but can't afford to live by myself, so might not have the choice. It's not just the having to make the effort in terms of moods, but just dealing with all the things that can be (or I know will be) problems. I'd try to find somewhere with just one other person, but still I wouldn't know how to deal with things.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Alter_me wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone here share a house or apartment with strangers? I might have to move soon, and I absolutely dread the thought of having to move in with strangers. but can't afford to live by myself, so might not have the choice. It's not just the having to make the effort in terms of moods, but just dealing with all the things that can be (or I know will be) problems. I'd try to find somewhere with just one other person, but still I wouldn't know how to deal with things.......

I did during college and spent most of my time alone in my room. Even brought my meals back to my room and all. I live on my own now. It is expensive but it's better for my sanity. Just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Like most here I too have suffered with depression long term, I was coming right and then BAM! - was diagnosed with MS as well as the attack which brought about the diagnosis :(

anyway, Ive been left (compared to how I was before) SEVERELY affected, cant walk any kind of distance, getting to the shops and back is a mission which I have to fight on a regular basis. I was SO fit before, would cycle hundreds of miles a week all through the year, I was an outdoors person alround.

When everyone feels that 'cloud' coming over, what do you guys do to help it pass? I would normally go training or get some fresh air..cant do that anymore like I could before :cries:
    given my active lifestyle of before I didnt have much interest in TV or doing things indoors, I also play guitar, but the way the MS effects me it effects my hand so although playing it is possible, and actually to an untrained ear it sounds as good as always (which is damn good :) ) the fact is it takes alot more effort and concentration to play than it did before.

Im rambling now :)

so like I say what do you guys do while the storm is raging, to help it pass? Not much seems to work for me anymore :(

ahh..thatsa a little better! :)

So guys on this beautifull sunny day im sitting inside full with dread and fear...it's been decided i go back to work tommorrow after 3weeks off. This depression episode is not lifting!!!!!!!!!!!! The anxiety i have is overwhelming:confused:
    I work in a very fast paced stressfull job i dont know if i can do it tommorrow. I can bearly concentrate reading a book or watching tv at the moment.
    I dont want to loose my job..cant loose my job...I'm actually sick to my stomach right now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

ashblag wrote: »
    So guys on this beautifull sunny day im sitting inside full with dread and fear...it's been decided i go back to work tommorrow after 3weeks off. This depression episode is not lifting!!!!!!!!!!!! The anxiety i have is overwhelming:confused:
    I work in a very fast paced stressfull job i dont know if i can do it tommorrow. I can bearly concentrate reading a book or watching tv at the moment.
    I dont want to loose my job..cant loose my job...I'm actually sick to my stomach right now:(

Your message has really touched my heart and I truly, truly wish there was something I could do to help you. I can feel the pain and fear you are going through and I feel totally powerless. All I can do is try to pass you some strength through this thread and to let you know that I will be sending you what strength I have tomorrow to help you through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

hi Ashblag as another poster says i also feel your pain Im in a simalar position have been out of work with depression and after a week or two its so hard go back my problem is i never told my bosses i suffered with depression i always said i had chest infections or asthma attacks which is true but now this goodam black mood is back and i will have to tell themat some stage that makes me worry even worse

Anyway best of luck tomorrow

I've been out of work since August. I'm very lucky that I still live at home so don't have the debts and money commitments that a lot of you might have. I feel like a dosser at times though, which only serves to make me feel worse :rolleyes:

No job is worth your health

i know the feeling C Dawg im the same most saturdays

I've been out of work since August. I'm very lucky that I still live at home so don't have the debts and money commitments that a lot of you might have. I feel like a dosser at times though, which only serves to make me feel worse :rolleyes:

No job is worth your health

Couldnt agree more C Dawg no job is it worth it the only thing is it pays my bills vicious circle i suppose Dont think that you feel your a dosser
    its just its a hidden sickness and at some stage youll get relief if not a good break from it

thanks for the well wishes,,,but still awake no sign of sleep have to be up in 6.5hrs:mad::mad:

my work knows about my depression from the last time i was out....

think im having an anxiety attack!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers bob50 :)

Finding this thread has been great, even if only to rant a bit haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

Afriend told me about this site signed up yesterday,posted one tread but got no reply,mostly to do wit irish society ie government policys.I also am deeply depressed and sick of life in ireland.:mad:

I know finding the motivation can be really hard but I find a good long walk is great for calming the head a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

So freakin out right now. Was a bit of a stressful day at work and then i got a lift home from a guy asking how my weekend went and what i did and just made me want to run which wasn't really possible. Hopefully will calm down a bit soon...

• Advertisement

Sh!t phi3 only saw your post now, did you get through that ok?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement