Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

ned78 wrote: »
    Most of them. The Dell and iPhone give the most hassle, but the others do on occasion have issues getting an IP, or even seeing the router though they're 10 feet apart.

I've also noticed that it can take forever to log into the router itself 192.168.0.1 to check the status of the unit.

Have you tried WPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I was originally using WPA-PSK but Dovado Support told me to do a reset of the modem and use the encryption that the Wizard setup instead.

ned78 wrote: »
    I was originally using WPA-PSK but Dovado Support told me to do a reset of the modem and use the encryption that the Wizard setup instead.

Alright, and how did it work out without any encryption in your testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's taken me until now to respond, as I'm not always home during the week. I've been in discussions with Mathias at Dovado Support regarding the following issues :
    1. Unit not powering up the 3g modem
    2. Not being able to see the unit further than 10 feet away, but neighbours AP's are all visible
    3. UMR's own backend software hanging when logins are attempted
    Point 1 is not resolved yet, but I have sent a log file from the UMR to Mathias which shows errors when trying to communicate with the Huawei E270. Point 2 I've tried to rectify with different encryption, no encryption, and I've had no luck yet. Point 3 seems to be a Firefox issue, going in through the backend using IE is quite fast. Which is naturally weird for me.

So I'll update this thread when I've some more news. It's still frustrating to have these issues, but it's reassuring that they're listening to feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spud2

is the HUAWEI E169 wireless modem compatible with this router ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mister Hahn

HUAWEI E169 is absolutely compatible.
    I use it with a flat connection, no problems at all.

@ DOVADO

In the next releases of the firmware, could you implement a QoS?
    Is that possible?

Hi All,

Here's a list of supported modems. There are more that'll be added in the coming firmware, out relatively soon.

http://www.dovado.com/modems

In case you haven't already done so, please sign up for latest firmware update on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Thanks,

DOVADO

Hello all,

New features and fixes now available on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Enjoy,

DOVADO Support Team

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

HUAWEI E169 is absolutely compatible.
    I use it with a flat connection, no problems at all.

@ DOVADO

In the next releases of the firmware, could you implement a QoS?
    Is that possible?

Proper QOS only works if the actual Mobile Operator recognises the tag. That won't happen. QOS on the local traffic (e.g. WiFi Media Server and Xbox on TV set) also has the problem that the the Media devices have to support the QOS tag (most don't).

So really there is only meaningful QOS on VOD/IPTV/VOIP provided by the actual network Operator on a Modem/Set-box/VOIP-ATA with built in router, modem and Audio or video. Such as Magent/Smart fibre IPTV or VOIP/Phone built into UPC or Digiweb Modems with phone ports.

Dovado can add QOS features till cows come home and it will have about zero effect on GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA modem connection.

Hi all,

For those of you who have had the misfortune of experiencing in connection drops, thus requiring you to restart the UMR to establish the connection, we have put together a watchdog functionality called the Connection Tracker. Here's a snippet of what it looks like and how you can configure it (as per example).

In it, you insert 2-3 publicly available IP addresses. In my case, I used the command prompt in Windows to discover the IP addresses of several destinations. You have to make sure that these IP addresses are actually replying. Once you insert them into the Connection Tracker, click on Test Now to make sure they are working.

At the bottom, you select your Failure Handling. It speaks for itself.

Also, the interval means how often you want these pings to go out. By default it is set to once a minute. There's a calculator next to it that provides an approximate figure of monthly consumption per inserted IP address and per interval.

Any questions?

conntrack.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hi Dovado,

I'm about to upgrade to the new firmware, but I didn't see anything on the fix list about DHCP failing to respond after long periods. I've had my UMR about a month and a half now and 3 or 4 times it's crapped out because the DHCP failed to assign an IP address to a computer trying to connect to it.

This isn't just my PC either, there's my Mac laptop and the other PC in the house too. All it takes it pluggin it out and back in again (can't get on the network so I can't go to the admin panel and reset it). It's a bit of a pain because of where the modem is located - is anybody else experiencing this issue?

Other than that I've had zero problems with the UMR :)

EDIT:

Whoops, completely forgot to chime in with ned here about the issue when trying to log into the admin area (192.168.0.1) - it's been "loading" in Firefox for about 5 minutes now, nothing on the screen and no HTML received (View->Source is blank). However, fire up IE7 and bam, 2 milliseconds and it's loaded. Works just great in Safari too. Refreshing the FF window does nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Anyone tried this with an O2 data modem?
    model Huawei Mobile Connect E270.

Looking to see does it work out of the box okay with it.

Parents switched to O2 from 3 and was thinking of gettting them a router for Xmas to save them having to use the laptop near the window. I don't think they could handle many technical issues so I would prefer it just worked out of the box or if it was some simple once off fix that I could perform that would make it a stable wireless connection.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

brim4brim wrote: »

I have this setup and its working great, go ahead!

Hi TouchingVirus,

There's been a lot of fixes that we haven't mentioned in the release notes as the focus was the new features. I suggest you upgrade your unit to 2.0, clear out the internet cached files and cookies, and try everything you've mentioned previously.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

brim4brim wrote: »

Looking to see does it work out of the box okay with it.

Parents switched to O2 from 3 and was thinking of gettting them a router for Xmas to save them having to use the laptop near the window. I don't think they could handle many technical issues so I would prefer it just worked out of the box or if it was some simple once off fix that I could perform that would make it a stable wireless connection.

Thanks!

I'm using this with O2 and the E270 for over a month and I've had no major problems with it so far. The new firmware looks promising, so that if any disconnects occur, the router will automatically re-establish the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Cool, parents are in rural area. Get 1Mbps up and down all the time on a rural mast so I think they are one of very few people on the mast. They are also near the mast with full reception and can do VOIP with it because the ping times seem low (probably because of how close they are to the mast).

I'll give it a go, thanks everyone for such fast replies :D

Its nice to see the updates are quite regular for this router and that Dovado aren't like Belkin when it comes to firmware support.

Seems to be a lot of people buying this router in Ireland and few complaints :D

Hello all,

To further improve our knowledge of the Irish market, we would like to get some feedback from you in terms of which operator Access Point Names (APN) are available in Ireland.

Kindly list them out so that we can add them onto our coming "Irish" page.

Also, mention if they offer public or private IP addresses. If you're not sure how to do that, just check the IP address your operator gives you contra to what is displayed on http://www.whatismyip.com

Many thanks,

Team DOVADO

Provider: O2
    APN: open.internet
    IP Type: Public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PeterW

I've been using the Dovado UMR for about 3 weeks with no problems. It's a great piece of kit, allowing me to position the E270 up in the attic for a strong 3G signal while giving me connectivity right through the house. I'm currently running firmware 1.2.

Today I downloaded firmware 2.0 but am having problems getting the router to upgrade. I followed the instruction to power off, unplug modem, power on, login, go to update, browse for bin file. But when I click the HTTP update button I get a 'page cannot be displayed' message. I thought maybe the update was in progress but 10 minutes later it's still showing 'page cannot be displayed' and no data has been sent over the wireless connection. So I closed and reopened the router homepage, did a router restart and tried again. Same result.

Has anyone on here successfully updated to firmware 2.0? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Peter

PeterW wrote: »
    Today I downloaded firmware 2.0 but am having problems getting the router to upgrade. I followed the instruction to power off, unplug modem, power on, login, go to update, browse for bin file. But when I click the HTTP update button I get a 'page cannot be displayed' message.

Greetings Peter,

Hmmmm....that's odd. Please try clearing out your web browser's cached files as well as cookies and retry. Which browser and version are you using?

If the problem persists, please email us a screenshot of the page to support@dovado.com and we'll look into it.

Thank you,

Team DOVADO

• Advertisement

DOVADO wrote: »
    Hi TouchingVirus,

There's been a lot of fixes that we haven't mentioned in the release notes as the focus was the new features. I suggest you upgrade your unit to 2.0, clear out the internet cached files and cookies, and try everything you've mentioned previously.

Thanks

Well I must say upgrading to 2.0 has got to fall under the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" category, I've had nothing but a day of heartache because of it :mad:.

Upgrading was simple, but the UMR failed to connect to the internet since I upgraded. It reports Disconnected/No Service, and then randomly changes to 3%, 6% etc. I click on Connect as I would normally and it simply doesn't. The status changes to Disconnected (Reconnecting) but nothing after that. I've left it for 30 minutes on two occasions to no avail.

I've reset the unit to factory settings, I've removed and reinserted the modem in a different slot, I've used the two-usb-slot cable for extra power, nothing works. I've made sure the APN was correct, I've ensured that PPP was off because O2 (My ISP) use Sim Authentication - no joy.

Plugging the modem out and directly into my laptop or PC and it works just fine, in fact it's how I considered making this post earlier on this evening until I thought I might see if I can downgrade the firmware to 1.2.

Downgrading the firmware to 1.2 works perfectly exept on the "home" page (getcfg.cgi?home) there are no side menu's, but luckily I know almost all the locations now and bookmarked them just in case. However, the main reason for downgrading, to get an internet connection, works just fine. The router fires up after waiting the 180 seconds, I power it down, plug in the modem, power it on, hit connect - less than 30 seconds later and I'm back on the internet...

I don't know what gives, there's no logging information or debugging options in the menu from what I can see, but clearly firmware 2.0 is not working with the Huawei E220 on O2.

Push Ctrl-F5 when you're in the menu to refresh your cache so you can revive your menu.

Incidentally, there are firmware updates for the O2 modems as well.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/firmware+update

Hey Dovado,

I've had the latest O2 firmware on my Huawei E220 modem since mid-July but I've even reinstalled it earlier this evening.
    Modem Firmware: 11.117.08.00.00

CTRL+F5 brought by my menu, so thanks for that one, at least it's back to the way it was.

Any ideas on a debug mode or some other way to get what you guys need to fix the firmware or my own UMR? I can confirm it is the firmware because I've just reflashed to 2.0, again no connecting despite leaving it for 5 minutes, and now I've downgraded to 1.2 again and it's working. :confused::confused:

Greetings TV,

Please send us an email at support@dovado.com so we can get into the specifics.

We'll help you out.

Thanks

Hey Dovado,

Just sent on an email there, thanks a million

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm using IE version 6. After reading TVs issues with v2.0 I'm inclined to stick with firmware 1.2 for now. I'll continue to follow this thread and will let you know how it goes when I go ahead with the update.

Regards,
    Peter

Hey PeterW, it would appear you can go ahead and upgrade to firmware 2.0 as the issue I experienced seemed to be related to my own UMR.

Apparently the APN wasn't being set to "open.internet" despite appearing to the contrary, my sincere thanks to Dovado & Mathias over at support who've helped resolve this issue for me.

Thanks for that update TV. I'll give it a go again tonight.

Hello all,

We've put together an Irish-specific website now. If you have any APN information that may be relevant for us to add on there, please let us know.

http://www.dovado.com/ie

Kindest of thanks and regards.

Team DOVADO

;)

• Advertisement

DOVADO wrote: »
    Hello all,

We've put together an Irish-specific website now. If you have any APN information that may be relevant for us to add on there, please let us know.

http://www.dovado.com/ie

Kindest of thanks and regards.

Team DOVADO

;)

There's another APN for O2, and it's just the same as Vodafone & Three (APN: internet).

I got this information from the O2 support forums (forums.o2online.ie) - however the software on the HUAWEI E220 modem they give installs itself and uses the APN open.internet as I stated above. Either will work though :)

Advertisement