Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution and a supreme being.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

Gbear wrote: »
    Evolution is a part of biology (or perhaps the process of biology), which is based on chemistry, which is based on physics.

Being religious and accepting evolution is little different from being religious and accepting physics. It's applying the same principles to a different question.

If you reject evolution, in order to be logically consistent, you should also reject gravity, motion, electromagnetism etc etc..

In itself, evolution doesn't disprove divinity in general - if you can want you can still believe the baseless notion that a creator set up the universe to function as it is.

However, given the nature of the evidence for evolution - that we are the result of chance based on the randomly occurring environments that our various ancestors evolved in - it makes the notion of the particular gods that are currently popular less believable.

Not impossible - I suppose he still could've generated the whole decent of man in a roundabout way on purpose - but it doesn't seem a very rational or efficient way for an omnipotent being to create life.

evolution - the greatest, most elaborate rube goldberg machine the world has ever seen? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

evolution - the greatest, most elaborate rube goldberg machine the world has ever seen? :D
    I'm sure you come to this assessment after spending lots of time looking in to what evolution is... No, wait, I'm not.

Not evolution, but felt it worth posting nonetheless...
    541314_325965087476783_290687021004590_787577_1505286125_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm sure you come to this assessment after spending lots of time looking in to what evolution is... No, wait, I'm not.

Not evolution, but felt it worth posting nonetheless...
    541314_325965087476783_290687021004590_787577_1505286125_n.jpg

Im flattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im a follower of evolution but I support anyones wish to believe anything they want. I dont see creationists in this country burning down labs or stopping research going ahead so live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

So yes, the discovery of evolution does weaken the case for a god, as it removes one of the gaps previously filled by God(s), which for many people, is a "god of the gaps".

"Gaps".

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

RichieC wrote: »
    hahaha... "the god" I said... I'm leaving that typo be :D
    First time that Richie has been mistaken for a devout catholic. :P Or perhaps even a creationist......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Pushtrak: The way you've laid out your post makes it quite difficult to read, and respond to.

Let me try.

I don't believe it is a mess of a contradiction. The Genesis creation account and its purpose, simply put isn't to be a science book. It's to tell us about God's creative power and our place in it, and to explain the problem that mankind is in, I.E - why there is no other way that we can know God other than through King Jesus.

I'm reading Genesis 1 - 4 exactly as they are. I'm not saying definitely that there were other humans in existence, but looking at Genesis 4, one could come to that conclusion rather easily. Adam and Eve could be the exemplars of how sin came into the world. Paul like Jesus (further down) is using the example of Adam and Eve to teach Christians truth. Indeed, they are the first known human beings from a Christian perspective.

As for Genesis 2, I've explained that in my post. Genesis 1 is a creation account from God's perspective to man, Genesis 2 is an account from an earthly perspective. Neither are meant to be a blow for blow scientific account of the universe, rather both accounts are to teach us something about Creation and ourselves.

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 clearly serve different purposes, and one only need a cursory look to see that. Most theological opinion is that Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 form two creation accounts. That's why I posed the leading line in both. The first has a different order than the second. "The heavens and the earth", rather than "The earth and the heavens".

Genesis 2:18 exists to describe the purpose of marriage. That's why Jesus refers to it later on. At my church here in London we're studying Genesis at the moment, and I've been astonished by how much I didn't know about what the Hebrew has been presenting. Jesus picks it up in Mark chapter 10 to describe His objections to frivolous divorce, saying "this is not as it was in the beginning". Pointing to Genesis, and quoting this passage. Man needing a helper has an interesting application for Christians seeking marriage. I.E - We're created in God's image, and we need to reflect His glory (t'selem or image can also be rendered reflection). Finding someone to marry shouldn't only be about the human enjoyment of marriage, but ones spouse should help and guide them in living for King Jesus in daily life.

There's nothing ad-hoc about looking at the passage, in terms of its structure. In fact, I found in some passages, that if you don't look at the structure that you will miss the point of the passage. For example, in Mark's Gospel in chapter 8, you have a blind man being partially sighted, and then coming to full sight. In the following section you have the disciples partially seeing and understanding who Jesus is (Peter saying "you are the Christ") but then you see them misunderstand why He came (Peter saying that Jesus shouldn't go to the cross). He didn't understand that the Son of Man must suffer.

Similarly in Genesis 1, we need to look at the structure, because its important in what it is saying to us. Structure tells us about the significance and meaning of a passage. It's valid to break Genesis 1 up into two halves, and there is a perfect symmetry there, which is entirely intentional to show that God's power brought all things into existence.

To say nothing is to be gained from looking at the structure of the passage is silly. It's what people should be doing when they read in order to get a full understanding. Which is why I have to ask if you're really interested in what I say at all. If you've got your mind made up already, what's the point in discussing it?

Why isn't it apparent that literary devices are used? - It's probably apparent to most Christians who give the Bible a lot of consideration. In some cases much has been lost through translation, so we need to be careful, and look back using a Hebrew or Greek concordance to see what passages are saying if we don't understand them in full.

If the Bible is God's word and inspired by His Spirit, Christians also have the assurance that He will gradually guide them to understanding. I've been on a walk with King Jesus since 2007, and I'm still learning a lot about Him, and the truth of the Gospel. That is the simple truth that all mankind has sinned and fallen short of His glory, that man is worthy of eternal condemnation, but that God in His abundant mercy has sent His Son King Jesus into the world to rescue us from our sins.

There's two options in hearing that truth:
    1) Hear and accept it the truth about our sin, and ask Jesus for forgiveness.
    2) Run from it.

areu4real? wrote: »
    How does this even address my post? Has anyone investigated the bible's "claims"(as you so nicely put it)? We've only had about 2000 years... and still no proof. I said ignore the bible for this exact reason; you see it as proof enough. I don't.

If you're trying to look into the Bible's claims while ignoring the Bible itself you won't get far. The rational approach is to look at what the Bible says, and see if it makes sense in the world at large. I find that the Bible makes more sense of the world than atheism does. I'm convinced of its truth, because I've seen many of the things it describes in its pages in action.
    To me, a god makes absolutely no sense. Never has, even when I was a child. It always fell in the same category as Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc. in my mind. Organised religion also makes no sense and in my opinion has been stunting mans progression for a long, long time.
    Imagine if we taught children from as soon as they were born to enjoy life to the max and do everything you want to do. You only get one chance, make the most of it.

To me, atheism makes no sense. We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying. Christianity says God has spoken into our world, believe and trust in Him. The latter makes more sense for a variety of reasons.

By the by, it's false to suggest that I'm not living the most now. I believe I am, and I am thankful each and every day for my existence. You seem to have some idea that Christians live a dour existence day in day out. This isn't really true. In fact I would say that I enjoy life more now than when I was an agnostic.
    Religion had a stranglehold on children and taught that if you behave well here and worship one god that you'll have a great time after you die. What if you're wrong, what a waste of a once in a lifetime opportunity. That's what I think.

I'm not a fan of religious institutions, but that's not a reason to reject God or Jesus.

See above about the enjoyment of life, I think you're wrong. As for behaving, you seem to be suggesting that there is something wrong in trying to lead an ethical existence.
    I can point you at millions of your fellow Christians who would happily label you a blasphemer and worse for this (what seems to me like a fairly sensible) approach to the Bible.

I've spoken to quite a few creationists in my time. Some friends of mine believe in a literal view of Genesis.

Most have been reasonable enough to accept that even if we disagree on the mechanism, we agree on the end point. God brought all things to be from nothing, and we are called to live and serve Him, and that salvation comes only through believing and trusting in Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Another thread with no conclusive evidence one way or the other.
    I really had hope for this one.

Maybe the next one will be the one. :pac:

Keep the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Another thread with no conclusive evidence one way or the other.
    To be fair, only one side has any evidence. The other side has faith.
    Keep the faith.
    Unless you believe in evidence... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

To be fair, only one side has any evidence. The other side has faith.

Unless you believe in evidence... :)

I scoff at evidence. ;)

*Must leave thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

philologos wrote: »
    To me, atheism makes no sense. We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying.

No, atheism says we don't know and that it's a problem for science to address.
    Christianity says God has spoken into our world, believe and trust in Him.
    I would read this to mean that Christianity says "stop trying because we already know".
    The latter makes more sense for a variety of reasons.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it doesn't make any sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i have evolved into a supreme being. do i win a prize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

To me, atheism makes no sense. We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying. Christianity says God has spoken into our world, believe and trust in Him. The latter makes more sense for a variety of reasons.
    That is a very odd statement, odd because of the extraordinary lengths people over the years have gone to to try and understand the nature of the universe and everything in it.
    The majority of scientists are atheistic and are the very people who spend their lives trying to figure out where everything comes from. Religion with its all encompassing "God did it" is the real cop out.
    Also, why does there have to be a reason why we are here? (besides making people feel good about themselves).

Why does the current limit of human knowledge have to imply there is a god? because our history shows us that time and time again and at every new step of understanding, what was thought to be the works of deities were actually natural phenomena explained by hitherto unknown processes. Why should our current limit be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To me, atheism makes no sense. We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying.
    Atheism "says" nothing of the sort. The only thing that's consistent in your position phil, is your constant misrepresentation of what atheism is.

Atheism is the default position that we do not have an answer to the "where did we come from" question. Theism posits that the answer is "God". If anyone is to be accused of saying, "stop trying to figure it out", it's theism, which provides an answer which conveniently doesn't require any more effort.

Atheism doesn't say that we shouldn't try to figure it out, it simply doesn't accept the easy answer that "God did it".

The question of "why are we here" is a separate question entirely. Before you can ask "why are we here", you need to establish "does our existence require a reason"?
    C&#250 wrote: »
    The majority of scientists are atheistic
    That's probably a statement which you can't back up tbh. "Scientist" covers a lot of disciplines and could reasonably be used to include medical doctors, computer programmers, and so forth. I think the fairest way to say it is that the majority of scientists do not accept that "God did it" and continue researching the facts, even those that would claim to be theist in their outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Philologos, is this another thread where you make a fool of yourself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Pedant wrote: »
    Philologos, is this another thread where you make a fool of yourself?

His catchphrase is "that doesn't make sense to me", so maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

seamus wrote: »
    That's probably a statement which you can't back up tbh. "Scientist" covers a lot of disciplines and could reasonably be used to include medical doctors, computer programmers, and so forth. I think the fairest way to say it is that the majority of scientists do not accept that "God did it" and continue researching the facts, even those that would claim to be theist in their outlook.
    Not definitive proof, but here is evidence to support my statement.
    I can't link to the original Nature article because you need to sign in, but it's here from stephenjaygould.org.
    http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

mickrock wrote: »
    Is the evolutionary process supposed to be completely random and directionless? Has the complexity and diversity of life happened purely by chance? Is this a correct interpretation of the theory?

Only in the same way that the passage of a droplet of water down your window is completely random and directionless. While there is a "random" element to the path it will take... the result is constrained by other factors like gravity and hence no amount of randomness will make the droplet go upwards.

Similarly Evolution has a "random" element indeed but the direction that can take has many constraints and what those constraints are, how they work and what they result in would be what the Theory of Natural Selection is about.
    The second law of thermodynamics would imply that there is an outside force that organised things at some point.

Depends what you mean by "outside force" I guess, but it certainly does not indicate in any way that that "outside force" had to be an intelligence as so many seem to think. Nothing about life or evolution on this planet is in contradiction with entropy.
    Robdude wrote: »
    I am saying that there is a god and that god created man.

And I am saying you owe me 10 million euro.

There is a chasm of difference between saying something and evidencing something it seems. So alas I likely will not be getting my money soon. Nor are we likely to be getting evidence of your god soon either I warrant?
    I clearly don't agree that it makes God "less believable" in the slightest. In fact, it possibly would make Him more believable from my perspective.

That is entirely dependent on what you mean by "god" and what you think the evidence for "god" is.

Proving evolution does not disprove "god" generally because there are too many definitions of what people think "god" is going around.

The fact is however if you think that there is a god solely because you inserted a god of the gaps into how life arose on Earth... the Theory of Evolution is a problem for you.

You for example have never offered support for your "god" EVER except to claim that it "makes sense" to you that there is a god. As if what "makes sense" to you means squat.

Clearly a position so weak, dilute, baseless, meaningless and devoid of anything even resembling commitment is not going to be assailed by Evolution. Or anything else for that matter.

That is an outright, barefaced, transparent lie. Worse, you well know it too. After a display of dishonesty THAT crass you would do well to retreat from the thread crying like you usually do and find another one to enter and run from later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying.
    "Stop trying?"

Do you have any idea what's going on in physics or cosmology these days?

"Stop trying" is what happens when -- as you've done -- you read your holybook and say "oh, that sounds nice; it'll do for me" and you abandon any further effort.

• Advertisement

Neither are meant to be a blow for blow scientific account of the universe, rather both accounts are to teach us something about Creation and ourselves.
    Creation in a cognitive dissonance "God didn't do it but we'll say he did" and ourselves in that "We're filthy sinners who were created in gods image."
    There's nothing ad-hoc about looking at the passage, in terms of its structure. In fact, I found in some passages, that if you don't look at the structure that you will miss the point of the passage. For example, in Mark's Gospel in chapter 8, you have a blind man being partially sighted, and then coming to full sight. In the following section you have the disciples partially seeing and understanding who Jesus is (Peter saying "you are the Christ") but then you see them misunderstand why He came (Peter saying that Jesus shouldn't go to the cross). He didn't understand that the Son of Man must suffer.
    I'm not seeing the connection. Seems a misdirection.
    Similarly in Genesis 1, we need to look at the structure, because its important in what it is saying to us.
    With almost as many interpretations as people who read it. Perfect message?
    There's two options in hearing that truth:
    1) Hear and accept it the truth about our sin, and ask Jesus for forgiveness.
    2) Run from it.
    Is truth subjective? Objective?
    If you're trying to look into the Bible's claims while ignoring the Bible itself you won't get far. The rational approach is to look at what the Bible says, and see if it makes sense in the world at large.
    It doesn't.
    Atheism doesn't say anything. Some atheists will discuss religion, some will not so atheists saying _____ is a misnomer. I'm interested in what science has to say. If you are referring to the first cause, that anything that begins to exist has a cause, then there are two issues.

1) The universe could have always existed.
    2) "Everything that begins to exist needs a cause. Except where it suits my argument" styled thinking.
    Christianity says God has spoken into our world, believe and trust in Him. The latter makes more sense for a variety of reasons.
    Like what? Pascal's Wager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We still have the huge problem, of where did we come from, and why we are here. Atheism says stop trying.

No it doesn't. In fact it's the bible that says stop trying... and just accept a fairytale!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think you're severely confused about Atheism.

Produce one, tiny, microscopic, tidbit of evidence that supports that claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Duggy747 wrote: »

He's knows perfectly well what it means, he's lying to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

As I said before I lack a belief in god. Im a follower of science and evolution. Im an agnostic as I dont know if there is a god or not and in my opinion all good scientists should be agnostic to all things as yet unproven. I lack a positive belief in god and I think biology and the universe can be explained be science but I am not going to waste time by attacking people who have a belief in god.

Science for me is brilliant as it has the potential to explain everything and give us mastery over our enviroment and ourselves. The only problem thing Ill say is that science is still subject to dogma now and again as is any subject with a human element. Science is not immune to fads and popularity contests. Some people within science believe that science is decided by popular opinion. Im not using this to descridit science as science is my passion Im just highlighting the need to be objective about science and the need to minimise human belief from science. Previously in the past scientists have been ridiculed for trying to promote the existence of the mountain Gorilla, the biochemical pathways for photosynthesis, soft inheritence, homo erectus and a range of other things only to be proved right.

The starting point in science is we dont know and to me that is wonderful but there are too many scientists who start of thinking they "know". Another problem I have in science are the people who are twisting the meaning of skepticisim and simply promoting cynicism. A lot of current skeptics are guilty of dismissing things out of hand and in my mind thier not skeptics but cynics and offer nothing to science.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Another problem I have in science are the people who are twisting the meaning of skepticisim and simply promoting cynicism. A lot of current skeptics are guilty of dismissing things out of hand and in my mind thier not skeptics but cynics and offer nothing to science.
    I've been involved in the skeptics movement for many years in Ireland and I can't say I recall any skeptic who's "dismissing things out of hand" all the time.

Could you give a few examples of people and things they've said so that we can understand what you mean?

The only problem thing Ill say is that science is still subject to dogma now and again as is any subject with a human element.
    Repeatable, testable experiments is far removed from dogma.
    Some people within science believe that science is decided by popular opinion.
    Perhaps in the sense that someone in one particular field will trust the scientific method is being used properly in fields outside their experience. Is this what you mean?
    The starting point in science is we dont know and to me that is wonderful but there are too many scientists who start of thinking they "know".
    Where is it you get this impression? I have seen nothing to give me that impression, and if this is so I'd certainly like to see evidence for it. Also, for the remark about promoting cynicism...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Science is not immune to fads and popularity contests. Some people within science believe that science is decided by popular opinion. Im not using this to descridit science as science is my passion Im just highlighting the need to be objective about science and the need to minimise human belief from science.

None of this is the problem of science but the problem of humans. There will always be egos, popularity contests, cliques, those convinced of their own powers, skills, intelligence, conclusions and more.

The point about science itself that differentiates it from other realms of discourse it that it is built to attempt to counteract all these things. It is a realm of discourse where one is not only awarded points for proving the work of others wrong, but for proving ones own work wrong.

Even when a scientific proposition should be welcomed because it affirms biases however it is not. I can think of no greater example of this than the work of the late Lynn Margulis... who brought us the idea of symbiogenesis which shows that the reason for Mitochondrial DNA is that in our Evolutionary History there was a joining of Prokaryote cells.

These conclusions are NOW a massive support of Evolutionary Theory and have shed massive amounts of light on our past. Does that mean because it was so great for Evolution that all the Evolution Scientists went "YAY" and just accepted it?

Not a bit of it. Lynn underwent not years but decades of work, study, writing papers and books, Monography and speeches for over 30 years before her ideas trickled into the curriculum as a mildly controversial but generally accepted Theory.

Having been lauded with praise for that work was everything she wrote then accepted? No, she is recognized as having some pretty barmy and evidenceless hypothesis too.

Science is a human endeavor and as such will never be entirely free of egos, cliques and contests. It is however the best tool I know for minimizing those forms of impact from our human imperfections.

It simply sounds to me that you have issue anecdotally with individual scientists and not science itself. Though until you provide direct examples as requested by another user above I can not really muse more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

philologos wrote:
    If you're trying to look into the Bible's claims while ignoring the Bible itself you won't get far. The rational approach is to look at what the Bible says, and see if it makes sense in the world at large. I find that the Bible makes more sense of the world than atheism does. I'm convinced of its truth, because I've seen many of the things it describes in its pages in action.

Again, you have dodged my point. If you ignore the bible and look for other evidence, there is none. On the other hand, if you look at the bible and investigate it's "claims" then you still have none. Zero. And I honestly don't mean to offend you here but I actually smiled to myself when I read you using the term "rational approach" above. You're convinced of its truth, I'm convinced it's the biggest selling sci-fi book of all time. Bigger than Harry Potter even...
    philologos wrote:

I understand atheism doesn't make sense to you, I think that goes without saying at this point. I'm not even going to address the whole "Atheism says stop trying" thing as plenty of others already have said it better than me. Can I ask you, if the "huge problem" of where we came from was answered in full tomorrow by science, would you then reject god? Would that be enough proof or would you move on to the next level? ie. "That explanation would not be possible without god"
    philologos wrote:
    By the by, it's false to suggest that I'm not living the most now. I believe I am, and I am thankful each and every day for my existence. You seem to have some idea that Christians live a dour existence day in day out. This isn't really true. In fact I would say that I enjoy life more now than when I was an agnostic.

I'm not suggesting you personally are not enjoying life, apologies if it came across like that. You seem like a happy individual and even though there may be some slightly aggressive undertones in this thread (myself included) you still keep it civil. For me, that is the only part of religion in general that works. But it also reinforces my belief that christianity is an old set of rules, written by man and adjusted with the times over a 3500 year period with the intention of keeping people in check.
    philologos wrote:
    I'm not a fan of religious institutions, but that's not a reason to reject God or Jesus.

See above about the enjoyment of life, I think you're wrong. As for behaving, you seem to be suggesting that there is something wrong in trying to lead an ethical existence.

That is not the only reason I reject god/JC. I consciously make an effort to be nice to people and don't need the fear of hell to make me do it. My parents simply raised me with a good moral compass. My folks were born into completely different religions (and their relationship was frowned upon because of this) so religion was never really brought into our home and for that I am thankful.
    My point above is this: If there is a god and all my life I haven't believed in him/followed him/worshiped him yet still led a decent life and was nice to people, I'm sure St Pete will swing that gate open for me. If there is no god and spent my life worshiping him, then my dying thoughts would be "what a waste of time". I think most religions in their current format encourage people to wait for this amazing afterlife and to strive for that afterlife. If there's none, then it's lights out and what a waste...

• Advertisement

Let's take a look at these. Ignoring the kind of ad-hominem posts I'll carry on. I want to do this as respectfully as possible. If people are just going to have a go at me as a person, that's not really something I'm interested in. What I can say is, go for it, have a laugh. In short it won't lose me any sleep :)
    robindch wrote: »
    "Stop trying?"

Do you have any idea what's going on in physics or cosmology these days?

"Stop trying" is what happens when -- as you've done -- you read your holybook and say "oh, that sounds nice; it'll do for me" and you abandon any further effort.

Atheism != science. It's disingenuous to claim that atheism can take credit for science when there are scientists who are of pretty much every faith and none involved.

Stop trying isn't particularly investigating what is written Biblically. In fact, it's the beginning of an investigation. Shoehorning ones investigation to ignore certain possibilities isn't much of an investigation. It's confirmation bias at work.

It's nothing about it sounding nice as far as I'm concerned. Indeed, quite a bit of the Biblical text was a difficult truth to accept, not because its claims were outlandish, but insofar as it required a radical transformation of my life if I was to follow Jesus fully.

A lot of atheist thinking has led towards ideas such as existentialism, which essentially means that it is impossible to know absolute truth. What Christians say is, that God has spoken into this world, and you can see for yourself.

One thing I have in common with atheists is that I am concerned for what is absolutely true, rather than what is mere ideas. It doesn't matter if it is a nice idea, what does matter is what is true.

The difference is I'm absolutely convinced for a number of reasons that it is more likely that Christianity is true rather than false.

Indeed, in the absence of God or any form of absolute standard, there is no way that anyone can say what is completely true or completely false. Insofar as mental faculties are flawed, as much as we mightn't like to accept it. In theory anyone could be right, but there are ways that we can tell that one idea is more likely than the other. That is we look into what reasons we have for believing in X, Y, or Z.

Contrary to what atheists claim, I think there are quite a few reasons for God. Some of which I've discussed on here numerous times, and other Christians have had a go at on this thread.

The question is are we willing to give people a chance to explain before you call them fools, or have you made up your mind already?
    Creation in a cognitive dissonance "God didn't do it but we'll say he did" and ourselves in that "We're filthy sinners who were created in gods image."

I don't know where you got that out of what I said. Not at all. God very clearly did create the world from a Christian perspective. The question is what is Genesis telling us about it. Is it the exact mechanics of creation? - I'd lean strongly towards no, because it is written in a poetic style as I've shown you a few posts ago.

God did absolutely everything in Creation. He intended it and it was. The very process of evolution was instigated by Him as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm not seeing the connection. Seems a misdirection.
    With almost as many interpretations as people who read it. Perfect message?

In this case, it's simply a case of looking at structure. I've shown you my reasoning, and I think if you disagree, you should present an alternative and give your reasoning why. It is a lazy argument to suggest that people disagree with me, I know that, and I have reasons to give for my position.

Moreover, if you're not actually interested in putting forward your alternative and explaining bit by bit as to why you think that then I don't consider there to be a huge amount of value in discussing that point.
    Is truth subjective? Objective?

Objective. Irrespective of what you think, I think, or Billy down the road thinks, there's something real.
    It doesn't.

Atheism doesn't say anything. Some atheists will discuss religion, some will not so atheists saying _____ is a misnomer. I'm interested in what science has to say. If you are referring to the first cause, that anything that begins to exist has a cause, then there are two issues.

1) The universe could have always existed.
    2) "Everything that begins to exist needs a cause. Except where it suits my argument" styled thinking.

1) That's fine, but I guess what I must ask is what makes you think that?
    2) What are you talking about? - I'm happy to discuss what you want, but it's nicer if you ask me what I think first rather than assuming.

By the by, it's also an unfair assumption to assume that I don't care about science.
    Like what? Pascal's Wager?

Not at all. Pascal's Wager is woeful. As a philosophy student a few years ago I had quite a number of issues.
    smash wrote: »
    No it doesn't. In fact it's the bible that says stop trying... and just accept a fairytale!

Any interest in discussing why you think it is a fairytale or are you just going to make an empty claim?
    Duggy747 wrote: »

There's a lot of reasons why I would accept the Gospel over atheism. In short, it comes down to the logical necessity of causation in creation, the source and sense of morality, the truth of sin in the world, the case for the Resurrection, the textual authenticity of the New Testament suggesting its not a forgery, the historicity of the Bible, Jesus' fulfilment of prophesy, the case for the existence and significance of Jesus of Nazareth, archaeology in Israel and Jordan, and geology, the embarrassing details that are in the New Testament that wouldn't be in it if it was a story to glorify the disciples. Simply put, the more and more we find in the world that backs up the Bible, the more and more I am confident to trust it. It's rather simple, and it's pretty much because I do have reason for my faith in Christ, that I really don't accept the continual groan of there being no evidence for it.

Evidence is something that points towards a conclusion being true. Proof is only found in mathematics.

What we do have for Christianity indicatory evidence - the more we have, the stronger one can trust in Christ. That's as far as I see it.
    Again, you have dodged my point. If you ignore the bible and look for other evidence, there is none. On the other hand, if you look at the bible and investigate it's "claims" then you still have none. Zero. And I honestly don't mean to offend you here but I actually smiled to myself when I read you using the term "rational approach" above. You're convinced of its truth, I'm convinced it's the biggest selling sci-fi book of all time. Bigger than Harry Potter even...

You're not understanding my point.

It's not an intellectually honest inquiry. If you ignore the Bible, there's no evidence for the Bible because one isn't reading the Bible any more. Do you not see how that doesn't make sense?

What I'm saying is - if one reads the Bible and looks at quite a number of its claims, one can see that they have basis in reality. For example, the nature of sin.

I'm not trying to fob off your point, I'm trying to make sense of it.
    I understand atheism doesn't make sense to you, I think that goes without saying at this point. I'm not even going to address the whole "Atheism says stop trying" thing as plenty of others already have said it better than me. Can I ask you, if the "huge problem" of where we came from was answered in full tomorrow by science, would you then reject god? Would that be enough proof or would you move on to the next level? ie. "That explanation would not be possible without god
    It won't be answered in full by science, but if there was more good reason to believe atheism to be true than Christianity, I'd have to review my position. In fact, all you'd have to do, is demonstrably show me that Jesus Christ never rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:14) says as much. If you show it to be false, my faith is worthless.
    I'm not suggesting you personally are not enjoying life, apologies if it came across like that. You seem like a happy individual and even though there may be some slightly aggressive undertones in this thread (myself included) you still keep it civil. For me, that is the only part of religion in general that works. But it also reinforces my belief that christianity is an old set of rules, written by man and adjusted with the times over a 3500 year period with the intention of keeping people in check.

I keep it civil, because believe it or not, I actually care about the Gospel, and I care about people. I want all people to come to know Jesus and be rescued by faith in Him.

To present Christianity as a set of rules isn't exactly true. I don't need to follow rules to be saved. That is only by Jesus. It is because I am thankful for Jesus coming into the world to rescue me, that I live for Him. Not because I work my way to salvation. That couldn't be further to the truth.
    For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

I don't believe that doing the right thing is a bad thing, and I don't see why faith in Jesus precludes me from enjoying my life and living as He wants me to at the same time.
    That is not the only reason I reject god/JC. I consciously make an effort to be nice to people and don't need the fear of hell to make me do it. My parents simply raised me with a good moral compass. My folks were born into completely different religions (and their relationship was frowned upon because of this) so religion was never really brought into our home and for that I am thankful.
    My point above is this: If there is a god and all my life I haven't believed in him/followed him/worshiped him yet still led a decent life and was nice to people, I'm sure St Pete will swing that gate open for me. If there is no god and spent my life worshiping him, then my dying thoughts would be "what a waste of time". I think most religions in their current format encourage people to wait for this amazing afterlife and to strive for that afterlife. If there's none, then it's lights out and what a waste...

Firstly, there's no Biblical reason to believe that Peter will be at the gates. It's a nice image that people have made up.

Secondly, we've all sinned and fallen short of God's glory. We all as a result deserve God's wrath and condemnation. God loved us, and as a result sent Jesus into the world to save us, it is by believing in His name.

All one has to do in order to see how clear sin is, is walk through the 10 commandments and ask if you've broken them. Or simply look through your life and tell me you've never done wrong.

The fact is we're all guilty and we need a Saviour. That's what I realised over 5 years ago when I accepted the Gospel.
    Atheism "says" nothing of the sort. The only thing that's consistent in your position phil, is your constant misrepresentation of what atheism is.

Again, I welcome criticism of the Gospel. I post here because I seek to look at it from the other perspective. It's fair enough that if people criticise the Gospel here, that I can respond, and not only respond but criticise atheism openly.
    Atheism is the default position that we do not have an answer to the "where did we come from" question. Theism posits that the answer is "God". If anyone is to be accused of saying, "stop trying to figure it out", it's theism, which provides an answer which conveniently doesn't require any more effort.

The question is. Do we not have an answer? Or do we have a number of perspectives that we should be willing to investigate rather than ignore?
    Atheism doesn't say that we shouldn't try to figure it out, it simply doesn't accept the easy answer that "God did it".

Neither do Christians. Christian faith for many arises through honest and thorough investigation.
    The question of "why are we here" is a separate question entirely. Before you can ask "why are we here", you need to establish "does our existence require a reason"?

I never said it did. I said it is a question that shouldn't be ignored.

Advertisement