Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariff River

• 02-08-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Has anyone paddled the Scariff River in Co Clare? I was wondering if I could do it from Lough Graney to Lough Derg, which looks like a great trip on Google Earth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Apologies, I have no idea - as you mention Lough Graney, I was just wondering do you know whether the Black River from Lough Atorick to Lough Graney is navigable? Its a hell of a drop in altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

A friend who works in forestry tells me that the stretch from Lough Atoric to Lough Graney 'may' be overgrown with in places. And of course with the funny weather, one day it may be dry and the next day in could be a torrent.

I was hoping to do the Lough Graney to Lough Derg stretch and then explore further up around Lough Atorick. It would make one great route, if you could go all the way from Lough Atorick to Lough Derg.

If I get a chance to get on the water in the next couple of weeks, I'll post the results. (I might bring a machete).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Thanks Banbh - look forward to hear how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Hi, just looking at some OS maps of that area.... Lough Atorick to Lough Graney is a 9-10km trip on the Bleach river, with vertical difference of 90mts. About 1km downstream from Atorick it shows waterfalls (text) :eek:
    From Lough Graney to Lough O,Grady is approx 12/13km with a vertical difference of 14mts.
    Hope this helps. Keep us posted if anybody has a crack at any parts of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Chancing my arm here abit... but did any of you end up doing the Lough Graney to Lough O,Grady ? just stumbled across the post while looking for info on the river, thinking of doing this route next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

I didn't get to do it. Just another dream on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sanda220596

any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I paddled from 52.909299, -8.599092 to Scarriff via Lough O'Grady. We got out at the park on the western side of Scarriff. Lovely, quiet, flat trip. Small river at the start but enough water to get through at all times.

I don't know what the section through Scarriff is like but once through that you are on flat water again, navigable by larger boats all the way to the lake.

Advertisement