Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cattle without water

• 07-01-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
    every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week.

jees a week is a long time, better get a few barrells and head for the river id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

a week ffs how would you like to be with out water for a week , we are spending most of our days giving out water at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

Are you tking the michael...... a week.... water is as important as fodder......

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

adne wrote: »
    Are you tking the michael...... a week.... water is as important as fodder......

easy there guys, i am not stupid and know how important that water is for cattle.
    we are closely watching the cattle and the perfectly healthy at the moment.
    this is ot the first time we have had water issues but it certainly the longest it has gone on for. any time it went in the past it came back within a few days however there is no break this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Ah for f**k sake how the hell would u know if the cattle are in the early stages of dehydration??? I know wet silage is fine(well not perfect by any means on its own as it has a high water content but if its diet feeder or they are getting meals they will be mad with the thirst, wait till u go with water to them and see how they will go mad for it, Christ sake man get a slurry tanker of water or put a few barrels on a trailer and draw it to them :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MI5

I have 12 dry cows in open slatted shed, on silage alone. I have water supply to a near by shed which is well buried coming into the shed, and I have the pipe coming out of the ground in the shed well insulated plus 2 light bulbs hanging near, to prevent freezing.
    So I am filling up the 3 seperate 20gal troughs in the slatted shed feed passage from this supply. With the cold weather, they do for not such an amount of water as they would in normal temps. It's averaging 2 gals a head per day. Silage is baled and one day wilted in good weather.
    Then I have one single calved cow, with 2 month old calf sucking her in another shed. She on silage and nuts. Between cow and calf, they easily drink 10 gals a day.
    Have a mate with cows in 2 bay double shed. Old shed, fairly low roof compared to modern sheds. Cows drink a lot more water than mine in the open shed. I guess cows in closed shed lose water in hotter environment and some level of perspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Wow some way OTT reaction there, cattle not getting nuts can go a fair while without water, especially if the silage is any way moist at all

Some of ours were without water for 6 days so left them to the river and all they did was f##k around, drank barely 2 mouthfuls between them

Having said that a week is about as far as we'd go, you'd want to think about getting some water to them fairly soon, purely because there is no end in sight to this freeze, could easily be another week before it thaws and then there will be breaks in pipes etc

If you can't get animals to a river or stream i'd say get someone to wash out their vacuum tank and draw some to them. Don't worry they are never as thirsty as all their messing about makes you think

thanks for that MI5 that a lot more useful then name calling as other posters have.
    Dan as i said i am not stupid - they are on wet silage and getting no meal what so ever.
    and the proof of no dehydration is that i witenssed cows pass water as normal. and i would not bring water to them in a slurry tank as it would be bound to get contaminated. after all would you drink your own crap?
    i would rather run them all to a river even if it was more work then a slurry tank of water.

some people should find out the fact and not go presuming i am meal feeding cattle without water.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Wow some way OTT reaction there, cattle not getting nuts can go a fair while without water, especially if the silage is any way moist at all

Some of ours were without water for 6 days so left them to the river and all they did was f##k around, drank barely 2 mouthfuls between them

Having said that a week is about as far as we'd go, you'd want to think about getting some water to them fairly soon, purely because there is no end in sight to this freeze, could easily be another week before it thaws and then there will be breaks in pipes etc

If you can't get animals to a river or stream i'd say get someone to wash out their vacuum tank and draw some to them. Don't worry they are never as thirsty as all their messing about makes you think

thanks Tipp man now that more of the answer i wanted.

thanks for that MI5 that a lot more useful then name calling as other posters have.
    Dan as i said i am not stupid - they are on wet silage and getting no meal what so ever.
    and the proof of no dehydration is that i witenssed cows pass water as normal. and i would not bring water to them in a slurry tank as it would be bound to get contaminated. after all would you drink your own crap?
    i would rather run them all to a river even if it was more work then a slurry tank of water.

some people should find out the fact and not go presuming i am meal feeding cattle without water.

If the tanker is washed out properly then its not a problem, we regularly do this during the summer when the council turn off the water because they haven't spent a penny on it in 25 years. The tanker just needs a good was

I wouldn't drink my own urine but you'd often see cows do it:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sounds like a use for a disused bulk tank.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

were using an ibc tank on the front loader.
    we just fill it with a tap and put some troughs in front of the barriers.
    you just have to drive along and open the valve to release the water and just turn the ibc around to do the other side .
    its a very quick way of doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

just take up a few drums or barrels or whatever you have full of water.and fill there tank .no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sorted water for our cattle yesterday. It was their first time drinking since friday night and they drank so little it made me wonder was it worth my while. They are only on baled silage, and some of the stuff they are getting is a little wet.

There is a bit on it in todays farmers journal. Basically it seemed to say if you are stuck just feed silage, not ration and definately not molasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

After spending a day trying to defrost frozen pipes without sucess I got a new roll of pipe from co op and conected it to the pipe coming out of the pump straight into the slatted house and a pipe coming out again with a tap on it left on half way.
    easier than drawing water and after the big freeze is over I will conect the old system back and keep the new roll for something else.
    I think cows could go without water on silage for a long time but that dosent make it right though

you are clueless...... water is frozen in my shed and i am drawing water to them once a day... they are going crazy for it..... a week..... cop on lad

maidhc wrote: »
    Sorted water for our cattle yesterday. It was their first time drinking since friday night and they drank so little it made me wonder was it worth my while. They are only on baled silage, and some of the stuff they are getting is a little wet.

There is a bit on it in todays farmers journal. Basically it seemed to say if you are stuck just feed silage, not ration and definately not molasses.

there is a danger of twisted gut when letting cattle go along time without water and then giving them as much as they can drink

you are clueless...... water is frozen in my shed and i am drawing water to them once a day... they are going crazy for it..... a week..... cop on lad

well it depends completly on what your feeding them, dry ration maize etc then obviously they will be thirsty, damp to wet silage much less thirsty

If you think cows can't go one day without water in dry cold weather then you my friend are the clueless 1, but still at least your kept busy

well it depends completly on what your feeding them, dry ration maize etc then obviously they will be thirsty, damp to wet silage much less thirsty

If you think cows can't go one day without water in dry cold weather then you my friend are the clueless 1, but still at least your kept busy

Regardless of the feed the cattle are on If you think letting cattle (especially cows) go 6 days without water has no adverse affect on them and is good husbandry.... you should consider another possibly planting your land and getting into forestry :D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sobs

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Well if your not stupid, the only other option is your a heartless bastard.
    Find someone who has running water. And draw it to them.

Thats a bit harsh. None of us know the full story. I am in a similar position. The only access I have to my farm at the moment is on foot as it is up a steep hill. Had to buy over 600 meters of half inch piping yesterday to get water to them.

• Advertisement

sobs wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh. None of us know the full story. I am in a similar position. The only access I have to my farm at the moment is on foot as it is up a steep hill. Had to buy over 600 meters of half inch piping yesterday to get water to them.
    we did the same and the fecking thing is frozen solid this morning - took 4 hours to do the milking this morning - its just crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

im using those a good few of those garden hoses on the reels, hozzlelock or whatever they are called, you can connect a fully extended hose into the next reel and keep going, when troughts full I wind them up again and leave them in the boiler house for the night, its apain in the ass but its the only way to stop them freezing again and its beats bucketing water all the time

yes lesson learned from yesterday but i think last night was the coldest yet , milk pump was even frozen over this morning and the milk filter was frozen solid in the machine too - the joys of farming:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

im using those a good few of those garden hoses on the reels, hozzlelock or whatever they are called, you can connect a fully extended hose into the next reel and keep going, when troughts full I wind them up again and leave them in the boiler house for the night, its apain in the ass but its the only way to stop them freezing again and its beats bucketing water all the time

Smart move there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

there is a danger of twisted gut when letting cattle go along time without water and then giving them as much as they can drink

yes remember reading about , seems it can cause a lot of problems,

stock appear happy when the water comes back it's a different story,

- 7.5 C here this morning , troughs in the lambing pens frozen

drawing between 4 to 500 gallons a day in an old mobile milk tank filling it with a pto pump , lifts it with loader and fills the troughs by gravity

messy but waht can one do !

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

"how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
    every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week. "
    fill a bucket of water and walk into the pen if you get out unhurt they re ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

jeez go easy on him lads,im feeding round bales of gud silage which has brown water dripping out of it(baled in early june/perfect conditions)?? and they dont go to water trough all even tho its full of water and ballcock frozen

i dont think they drink as much ice cold water as they would normal water iykwim

tvo wrote: »
    "how long can cattle go (only getting silage) without water?
    every pipe i have is frozen. they are fine at the moment but they have no water for the last week. "
    fill a bucket of water and walk into the pen if you get out unhurt they re ok

TVO - if you read it properly you would have seen that "EVERY" pipe I have is frozen including the one at the top off the well so getting a bucket of water is just not possible.

• Advertisement

networks wrote: »
    jeez go easy on him lads,im feeding round bales of gud silage which has brown water dripping out of it(baled in early june/perfect conditions)?? and they dont go to water trough all even tho its full of water and ballcock frozen

they wont touch icy water

Advertisement