Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG gas in Ireland - does anybody drive on this?

• 26-06-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭

In many European countries, people convert their petrol cars, to drive on LPG (Liquefied petroleum gas).
    Never seen any petrol station in Ireland which would provide such fuel.
    Does this mean no one drives on this fuel in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i the late 70s early 80s there was a big interest in it , volvo even had it as an option on their new cars ,i think there is one garage in mullingar still selling it and i think one somewhere in lucan . i used to fit the kits years ago myself havent fitted one in 25 years or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The petrol station near the Submarine pub at Walkinstown used to do LPG, not sure if it does anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

kasper wrote: »
    i the late 70s early 80s there was a big interest in it , volvo even had it as an option on their new cars ,i think there is one garage in mullingar still selling it and i think one somewhere in lucan . i used to fit the kits years ago myself havent fitted one in 25 years or more

Hmmm.
    In Poland fashion for LPG came in beginning of 90's, and now it's very popular. As far as I know, there is over 2 million cars driving on LPG (out of about 15 million) which makes about 13%
    Probably the reason for it, is that LPG is over 2x cheaper then petrol. Conversion usually costs about 500 - 700 euros.

I just found, that price of LPG in Ireland is about 95cents per litre, which makes whole business not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

Esso at Blakes Cross nearby Lusk used to offer LPG. Not sure if they still do but as previous poster mentioned cost of gas per litre here in Ireland doesn't make any sense for going with LPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tons of cars in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany run on LPG, latest systems (Generation 3) have an ECU piggyback system so you get around 90% efficiency compared to petrol.

If you see an old 2.5 or 3 liter engined car in continental europe chances are its running on LPG.

Germany its 61cent / liter vs 1.47 / liter for Benzine.

I was going to get an 98 3.2 liter S Class Merc and convert it :) Only think that put me off was not being able to use the channel tunnel and losing a chunk of the boot, the wheel well tanks just aren't big enough.

Popular enough in the UK too. Mate of mine has a Campervan running on LPG, 4.8 liter straight 6 engine, he couldn't afford to run the damn thing no Petrol :) Also runs his fridge and cooker.

Germans are also promoting Autogas now (running your car on Natural Gas) you need a tank that can handle higher pressure so its less popular.

Heres an availability map of LPG and CNG in Germany :)
    http://www.gas-tankstellen.de/menu.php?jump=maplpg

Also, when you run out of LPG it switches automatically back to petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was talking to an Italian friend the other day and he tells me it's becoming very popular there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

in france they have tax incentives for cars converted to lpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

CiniO wrote: »
    Hmmm.
    In Poland fashion for LPG came in beginning of 90's, and now it's very popular. As far as I know, there is over 2 million cars driving on LPG (out of about 15 million) which makes about 13%
    Probably the reason for it, is that LPG is over 2x cheaper then petrol. Conversion usually costs about 500 - 700 euros.

I just found, that price of LPG in Ireland is about 95cents per litre, which makes whole business not worth it.
    usually those cars are old and LPG installation is cheap. It's getting expensive when you have new engine. But sometimes people do that with the new cars as well.
    Fuel prices in Poland, week 25:

pulpit02.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

If the Irish Goverment was serious about protecting the enviroment you'd think they'd lower the excise duty on LPG. It's much greener than the alternative.

However by not doing so they are proving the dont give two ****s about the enviroment....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good few garages in Limerick have LPG for sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

McLaughlins Texaco in newbridge county kildare used to sell it AFAIK. A mate of mine's dad had a mid 80s bmw 5 series converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,546 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What keithclancy said about LPG in the Netherlands. It's been very popular for 30 or 40 years

My best friend converted his Alfa GTV 3l V6 to LPG and his investment was fully paid for within the year :D

Can't even stick a carton of milk in the boot now though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As said above the brief glory days of LPG were in the late 70/80s when there was 100 + sites I think. Didn't the gubberment end the low tax regime when diesel sales started to take off?

Hmm maybe not

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/07/31/story6710.asp

http://www.ilpga.ie/outlets.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john burke transport

If you search LPG gas in Ireland through Google, you will find a site which lists all the garages by county who sell LPG gas . The price stated was 91c per ltr.
    Still cheaper than petrol I suppose. If you bought a car which was already converted to LPG , you could save money on running costs. But if you had to pay for a conversion , it would
    take some time to recover your outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If you search LPG gas in Ireland through Google, you will find a site which lists all the garages by county who sell LPG gas . The price stated was 91c per ltr.
    Still cheaper than petrol I suppose. If you bought a car which was already converted to LPG , you could save money on running costs. But if you had to pay for a conversion , it would

ILPGA.ie I assume ( already linked), their retail outlets is out of date, I rang 3 and none offered it still. Im sure there are some garages out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sure I read somewhere fairly recently that Flo Gas have stopped selling / producing LPG for automotive use as there is such a small market for it.

I would have thought they were a major supplier of LPG in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads. Start a new one if you like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement