Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

chrislad wrote: »
    Does anyone have an unbranded Nokia Lumia 800, and if so, can you post the firmware version? Just want to check if the Meteor ones are unbranded/stock firmware. Nothing on it to indicate Meteor did any messing.

The firmware on my unbranded one is: 1600.2483.8106.11500 - only difference to antivirus's one is .8106 instead of .8107

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Over that same time period of usage (8 hours) I have 80% left with a good bit of usage, games, music and internet. How much does your usage drop by overnight?

If the usage is low the problem is not the battery.

This firmware proves that there was something that was draining the battery. Most likely 3G.

I have 3G and Wi-fi turned off for most of the day but when I use wi-fi later in the day and play a few games, browse the web etc, the battery drains quite quickly. I'd return the phone due to the crappy battery - only that I like it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/06/lumia-800-update-triples-battery-life/

Apparently the latest Lumia update will triple battery life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

hadoken13 wrote: »
    The firmware on my unbranded one is: 1600.2483.8106.11500 - only difference to antivirus's one is .8106 instead of .8107

Are you sure?

Thats very odd, the 8107 part of the firmware relates to the OS it runs on and Microsoft didn't release a 8106 version of the OS. Also I can't find any records of that firmware in any of Nokia's Lumia 800 firmware updates :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm on 1600.2483.8107.11501. Hopefully not enough of a change to delay the update.

Are you sure?

Thats very odd, the 8107 part of the firmware relates to the OS it runs on and Microsoft didn't release a 8106 version of the OS. Also I can't find any records of that firmware in any of Nokia's Lumia 800 firmware updates :confused:

No the OS version is 7.10.8107.79 but the firmware version is 1600.2483.8106.11500 - which does seem odd. Surely the 8107 should be consistent?

Edit: this 8106 update was released in January:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/01/18/new-software-update-for-the-nokia-lumia-800/

'The update will bring the software on your phone to version 1600.2483.8106.11500'

hadoken13 wrote: »
    No the OS version is 7.10.8107.79 but the firmware version is 1600.2483.8106.11500 - which does seem odd. Surely the 8107 should be consistent?

Edit: this 8106 update was released in January:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/01/18/new-software-update-for-the-nokia-lumia-800/

'The update will bring the software on your phone to version 1600.2483.8106.11500'

It's very odd? I can't find anything about any differences and I can't find that firmware on there own servers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Missus Lumia just landed (Actually landed Monday but no one home and no time to pick it up). Ze nice people at amazon.de decided to throw in a silicon case as well.:)
    Charging and installing Zune. Have to set up a windows live account for her as well. First impressions, love the kit. We'll see if she likes it

vicM wrote: »
    Missus Lumia just landed (Actually landed Monday but no one home and no time to pick it up). Ze nice people at amazon.de decided to throw in a silicon case as well.:)
    Charging and installing Zune. Have to set up a windows live account for her as well. First impressions, love the kit. We'll see if she likes it

I'm sure she'll like it. What colour did she go for?

• Advertisement

My sources tell me that there won't be a Meteor update for about 2 weeks with another one due in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Is there any apps that you really miss though? I had an iPhone for years and there's nothing that stands out at me that I miss. The only major one seems to be Viber, and I never used it.

WiFi analyzer and a free vnc viewer (There's probably an equivalent for the former I haven't found yet and I'll probably have to fork out for the latter and not be such a cheapskate).

The 3CX softphone would also be nice to have but I can live without it for the time being as there doesn't appear to be any softphone client for WP7 yet either.

Dropbox, while the ability to use Skydrive and Sharepoint is great I'd still like the option of Dropbox as well.

Opera is a big one, I hope they release a WP7 app soon.

For a viber replacement you could always use Skype.

There's no deal breakers there but there are apps I'll miss.

Edit: Also, is there any way to ensure the wireless always stays on? It continually disconnects whenever the screen is locked.

I'm sure she'll like it. What colour did she go for?

Cyan..matches very well with the blue WP7 theme. They also threw in a cyan silicon cover. That screen is screaming for a protector but imo they spoil the real feel & looks of the screen

BTW is there a way of selecting multiple contacts for deletion coz I used the App (Thanks evolutionqy7) to transfer her contacts from her SIM (Which i mutilated and phone rejected:p) to her Phone via my SGS2, but all my contacts were copied as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Probably be quickest logging into the windows live account through a browser and clearing the contacts there.

Probably be quickest logging into the windows live account through a browser and clearing the contacts there.

Ill give that a shot

vicM wrote: »
    Cyan..matches very well with the blue WP7 theme. They also threw in a cyan silicon cover. That screen is screaming for a protector but imo they spoil the real feel & looks of the screen

BTW is there a way of selecting multiple contacts for deletion coz I used the App (Thanks evolutionqy7) to transfer her contacts from her SIM (Which i mutilated and phone rejected:p) to her Phone via my SGS2, but all my contacts were copied as well

Same colour as me! :D

You won't need a screen protector, if something is going to scratch the screen its going to cut through the screen protector as well. I've droped mine a couple of times and there's not a mark on it. They didn't skimp on the screen it uses corning gorrila glass :)

As the above poster said, you're best off modifing/deleting multiple contacts online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Same colour as me! :D

You won't need a screen protector, if something is going to scratch the screen its going to cut through the screen protector as well. I've droped mine a couple of times and there's not a mark on it. They didn't skimp on the screen it uses corning gorrila glass :)

As the above poster said, you're best off modifing/deleting multiple contacts online.

Considering she will be putting it in a handbag somewhere I guess its safe..Im doing the editing online but it keeps saying my contacts are unavailable after i hit OK to confrim that I want those contacts deleted..Urrggghh

guess Ill try later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Hi, my Lumia 800 arrived today. Quick question, and maybe I'm being an idiot here, but I used the transfer contacts app to copy my contacts from HTC Desire... I initially thought it worked well, as all my contacts copied over, but none of the numbers did... Am I missing something obvious... would love some help here.

EDIT: Figured it out. 77 numbers (my oldest, and most used) were only on the sim, so they didn't copy. All resolved now.

I can't help with the 2 problems above. All my contacts are on Microsoft Exchange and everything just synced without any problems.

I've just been testing out the new firmware and one good thing I can tell you is the difference in the music quality is massive! The bass really pumps out now :D

I'll not be able to tell much about the battery for a few days but it idles at about 65-75 mAh :) but my battery was always good :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Haven't a clue about firmware, can that be done in an update or is it totally seperate? Does it become available for unbranded phones faster, or same time as the network of the sum in it?

Haven't a clue about firmware, can that be done in an update or is it totally seperate? Does it become available for unbranded phones faster, or same time as the network of the sum in it?

At the moment I'm using the Indian unbranded firmware. There are no European firmwares available yet. The only difference is that there's a few different apps installed with this firmware and it has different default settings, region etc...

The one problem with installing this firmware is that it doesn't come with Nokia Music as its not available there. You have to install this afterwards but you need a developer unlocked handset to do that.

Unbranded phones tend to get the firmware a bit quicker as the firmware does not need to be approved by the mobile carrier.

Anyone can install these firmwares, this is how you would unbrand your handset. :)

Very tempted to just flash unbranded. Plugged out battery, fully charged, at 12am. Put on airplane mode. Battery was at 70% at 7am. Dropped down to 50% with airplane mode turned off and syncing set to every 3 hours. No calls or texts, and about 1 hour of music. Love the phone, but the battery issue fix really needs to get pushed out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Very tempted to just flash unbranded. Plugged out battery, fully charged, at 12am. Put on airplane mode. Battery was at 70% at 7am. Dropped down to 50% with airplane mode turned off and syncing set to every 3 hours. No calls or texts, and about 1 hour of music. Love the phone, but the battery issue fix really needs to get pushed out asap.

Well if the new updates fixes these problems i think most people will be happy with the battery life currently tripled.

I can get 24 hours out of my Titan without a sweat. Thats with an extra inch of screen and an SLCD with higher clock speed than the Lumia 800.

So with nearly the same battery size on the Lumia ye should be getting a lot better battery life than I am currently.

Hopefully this will be rolled out quick.

Its definitely worth flashing to the new firmware but I'd wait till there's a european unbranded one with the Nokia Music app included or you'll be stuck. Unless you have a developer unlocked Lumia.

Download the program in the link below and you can use it to see what firmwares are available. Once you find one you want I can give more instructions on how to flash it.

http://rapidlibrary.com/files/navifirmex-v1-6-1-en-zip_ul8ztz99tfiyon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Any one have news on when the White Lumia will be released sim free? I can't find it on any website and google just says march.

I don't know about tripling of the battery life, but been playing with herselfs lumia and after 20 hours it still shows about 40% left
    One thing I noticed when updating, after the second update the battery which had been fully charged, went back to half and continued charging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

I was offfered a lumia 800 as a work phone upgrade, Im told there's a massive problem with no BlueTooth file transfer protocol supported in Windows Mobile 7.5.

All info greatly appreciated

Thanks

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi

I was offfered a lumia 800 as a work phone upgrade, Im told there's a massive problem with no BlueTooth file transfer protocol supported in Windows Mobile 7.5.

Thanks

Bluetooth file transfer is not supported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

It doesn't suppport bluetooth file transfer but i wouldn't call it a massive problem. What percentage of people, with phones that support this, actually use it?

Advertisement