Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet pc, are they any good?

• 24-06-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a tablet, but what i want to know are they any good
    I'd use it for basic internet and i'd like to be able to watch movies on it

I had a netbook with widows 7 starter that you could watch movies on, if that is you don't mind watching a few seconds in a few minutes, so is android any better?

So if anyone has one could let me know and if there are any deals out there
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

ancuncha wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a tablet, but what i want to know are they any good
    I'd use it for basic internet and i'd like to be able to watch movies on it

I had a netbook with widows 7 starter that you could watch movies on, if that is you don't mind watching a few seconds in a few minutes, so is android any better?

So if anyone has one could let me know and if there are any deals out there
    thanks

Android tablets with 1.2Ghz -> processor, 1Gb DDR3 memory and N model WiFi network card are definitely more than enough for any streams and HD stuff.

There is a good online shop called smthg 'tablets world' if you google.. they deliver to Ireland too, very good customer service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Wait until they release the Microsoft surface... will do all netbook stuff, but not be as crap as a netbook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

It's not cheap but you can easily put Windows 8 on it and have tomorrows tech today: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsung_Series_7_Core_i5_11.6_Slate_PC_in_Silver_XE700T1A-A01UK/version.asp

Its actually really well speced for such a small machine and I have had no issues where it hasn't been powerful enough. Photo editing, Full HD video even some light gaming.
    It cold boots Windows 8 in about 11 seconds! Restarts take less than 20 seconds. O.o

Having used this myself with windows 8 I can tell you that it's bloody fantastic and I really hope the Surface Pro can live up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

thanks for the replies, i was thinking of staying away from windows as it tends to be resource hungry, that's why i think the netbook was poor, if i'd tried linux i'd say it'd be a lot better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Android sounds like it would fulfil your needs nicely. There is an android forum where you'll get decent advice. Would you like me to move this thread there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ancuncha wrote: »
    I had a netbook with widows 7 starter...
    i was thinking of staying away from windows as it tends to be resource hungry, that's why i think the netbook was poor
    Windows 7 starter is a deliberately crippled version intended for education purposes in the 3rd world.

Dig out the old netbook and try a proper version of Win 7 (I'd recommend pro 32-bit for low-end systems), different story entirely.

Win 8 is the same thing with support for ARM processors & a new UI (Metro) for small screens. You don't really need Metro on a 10" tablet with decent resolution.

Overall, Android 3 is probably the best OS for a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

Gurgle wrote: »
    Windows 7 starter is a deliberately crippled version intended for education purposes in the 3rd world.

Dig out the old netbook and try a proper version of Win 7 (I'd recommend pro 32-bit for low-end systems), different story entirely.

Win 8 is the same thing with support for ARM processors & a new UI (Metro) for small screens. You don't really need Metro on a 10" tablet with decent resolution.

Overall, Android 3 is probably the best OS for a tablet.

i thought there was something up with it, i think i'll give a tablet a try, if andriod can work well on a phone it can't be too bad

thanks guys, i'll leave it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Sync wrote: »
    Wait until they release the Microsoft surface... will do all netbook stuff, but not be as crap as a netbook :)
    As this Article says, they're gonna be selling at eye watering prices, Ipad territory (rumored). And it may not even include the Keyboard cover.:eek:

Microsoft's Surface plan means the world belongs to Android now

^^^Not hard to see why China put the condition that Android must remain free for at least 5 years in Google's Acquisition of Motorola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

As this Article says, they're gonna be selling at eye watering prices, Ipad territory (rumored). And it may not even include the Keyboard cover.:eek:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they launched at the iPad end of the price range and spend 6 month to a year skimming before they start really throwing volume at the market and cut the prices to match a mid-range Android tablet.

Advertisement