Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refs

• 22-05-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have seen on here and facebook a bit of criticism bout refs recently stopping fights to early etc i was just wondering what people would consider an early stoppage? And is the majoriry of criticism just from fighters who have lost or do coaches feel their fighters been unfairly treated, i have yet to be at a show where i would consider a ref stopped to easily/early i think the standard of refs here is very good and always put fighter safety first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I know from personal experience in other sports stoppages are annoying if your a fighter but as you said safety is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Standard is good for refs and overall you don't get many fights stopped too early, better early than too late anyway.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i was just wondering what people would consider an early stoppage?

Sometimes a fighter gets knocked down, but wasn't knocked out. The other fighter pounces on him and the ref steps in thinking the first guy was out or in danger.

Other times, a guy is punching a downed opponent, but the guy on the bottom is blocking and they aren't doing full damage. The ref steps as it might look like the guy on the bottom isn't actively defending, when in reality, huddle up and wait for an opening is his best defense.

Cases are rare, most of the time its a case where he wasn't yet out of it but wasn't going anywhere and would of been out very soon.
    As said above, better early than late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mellor wrote: »
    when in reality, huddle up and wait for an opening is his best defense.

That bugs me!

It's not intelligent defense unless your actually looking to move somewhere-wheter that be for under/overlooks tying opponent up somehow or escaping the beating, it is giving up and fights should always be stopped if fighters just cover up and don't look to improve position.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

as a fighter ive always been under the impression that if im put in a position where my only choice is to cover up and wait while my opponent unloads with punches ,then iv lost the fight as merely putting my hands in front of my face isn't "intelligently" defending myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,927 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cowzerp wrote: »
    That bugs me!

It's not intelligent defense unless your actually looking to move somewhere-wheter that be for under/overlooks tying opponent up somehow or escaping the beating, it is giving up and fights should always be stopped if fighters just cover up and don't look to improve position.

I think you've misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about covering up and just taking the punches for the rest of the round. Which for me is the end of the fight. I meant where the strikes are easily blocked, while he tries to grab an arm, leg etc to improve position. And the ref misreads the situation.

Advertisement