Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming - self conscious about body

• 11-03-2012 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys,

As a kid I used to love swimming until I became a teenager and started getting acne on my chest and back. As a result I became awful self conscious about my body and this has affected me to this day in most parts of my life including relationships. I haven't swam in around 15 years but this year I want to sort all that out and get back into it.

My question is do people judge other people's bodies when swimming? Do they care that they have ache or acne scars? I don't know how I'm going to work up the courage to take the plunge (excuse the pun). I'm a guy btw.

Also, I'm based in Dublin 15 and I'm wondering are there any quiet pools that would be suitable to ease me into it? I'm willing to pay high membership fees if it means quieter swimming pools.

Lastly, I have read that swimming can be good for acne. Is there much truth to this? I read the same about steam rooms and saunas.

All the above would apply to changing rooms too. Would people judge me? Would some smart arse pass a comment and shatter my confidence?

I hope I put this in the right forum. If not please let me know where the best place to get advice is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Personally I wouldn't care what anyone looks like in a swimming pool, I'm there to swim :D

Push yourself to go once and you'll wonder why you had any hesitations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Honest to god don't be self conscious! There are all kinds of shapes and sizes in the changing rooms and pool.

And jeez I think us Irish have all had a bit of acne at one stage or other and have the scars to prove it :o

Yes! Pool, sauna, steamroom will be good for acne.

I'd recommend westmanstown gym. But you should check them all out - good selection in d15.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

You have nothing to worry about, really. In a swimming pool you see all shapes and sizes- thing is you don't notice because you're underwater! Most pools have three lanes and you'll see all levels of fitness there. I've never been stared at in a pool.

As regards the changing rooms, no-one's going to be looking at you as they're too busy drying themselves off.

If there is one thing I notice in swimming pools is hairy-arsed old men walking around starkers, acne and scars are nothing to be ashamed of- go and enjoy yourself! I haven't a clue if pools and saunas are good for acne- swimming is great exercise for feeling great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cabbage82

Thanks for the advice guys but I really have a mental block about the whole swimming/ changing room thing. I'm panicking just thinking about it :o

I think if I could ease myself in in a quiet pool then this will do me the world of good.

This all leads on to another question too. Something I forgot to mention in my op. Are there quiet pools that would do one on one lessons? As it's been 15 years I want to get some private lessons to get me back on track.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Seriously, no panicking needed!

Not sure about lessons. Ring the gyms and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

cabbage82 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys but I really have a mental block about the whole swimming/ changing room thing. I'm panicking just thinking about it :o

I think if I could ease myself in in a quiet pool then this will do me the world of good.

This all leads on to another question too. Something I forgot to mention in my op. Are there quiet pools that would do one on one lessons? As it's been 15 years I want to get some private lessons to get me back on track.

Hi OP, I hope you take this the right way as it's not meant to be harsh!

No one can guarantee you what you're asking re quiet pools, peoples attitudes etc. 99% of people wont be looking at you or judging you but you never know who you'll meet on a day to day basis, that's life. We all have our own issues (I have seborrheic eczema on my face scalp & chest since I was 11 & cant hide the flare ups) & you just have to role with the punches. If you want to get back into swimming you need to just brave the 1% chance that someone will say something to you. If you can't do this yourself you need to ask yourself how much you want it. If you want it enough you'll find a way to overcome it on your own or with help from a loved one or professional help! Talk to someone about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

worked in a pool for years and i found the hat and goggles are a great leveller, i've yet to see someone that looks good in them

everybody is probably a bit self-conscious in their own way and you will see fat people, tall people, short people, thin people, hairy people, people with bad tattoos and see-through togs so there is nothing to be embarassed about . . . . tie your shorts if you're diving in and after that you'll be okay

if i was you i would probably get used to going to the pool first before one-to-one lessons because the instructor will definitely be focused on you and you alone so you might want to build up to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Some pools - Meadowbrook, BluePool, Shoreline are three I can think of - have individual changing cubicles rather than open rooms. This could help you get over one hurdle as you'd have a degree of privacy once you're out of the water.

As others have said most pools will have people of every body shape, people with scars, hair (or none like me:( ), tattoos, physical or intellectual disabilities; the water is a great leveller, everyone else will be doing their own thing.

Maybe try a public pool in one of their quieter sessions to get you started, and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

It's a funny old rock and roll world when you see some people taking a dip with all their lumps and bumps hanging out without a care in the world and others hiding behind the hedge.

I have no idea what issues you have but seriously swimming is just the best excercise for both your mind and body. Get into a pool somewhere and give it a try and then get out into the sea when you feel more confident that is where it all really starts to make sense.

How about a rash vest to cover your top half to get you started and give you a bit of confidence I have seen people in pools using them you can pick them up cheaply on amazon etc. You could use it for a while until you get a bit more confident and also no probs using if you decide to take a dip in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Most people are too worried wondering if their own bodies are up to scratch, don't worry you head.
    Also, do you know the amount of people that are visually imparied in the pool. I can't see a thing, I barely make it up and down the pool without crashing.

Most poeple can't wear their contacts in the pool and prescription googles are pricey.

Don't be self concious, I'II be the one swimming in small circles looking lost.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Man as long as you aren't tall slim size d blond in bikini chances that anyone will be staring at you are close to 0 :D Beside don't you think its about time to get over this phobia and finally realize that grown up people don't laugh at each other just because we are different, and if you came across someone that do, you should rather feel sorry for them as having few scares is nothing compared to being brain dead.

Swimming pool I'm teaching in is usually quite around 5pm... but there are no warranties as Burkatron said, you never know who and when will decide to come over, but should that really stop you? If you want to swim just go on and do it, I bet you 50 quids, you come over to my pool, hang around for an hour and as long as you wont be running around naked no-one will be bothered with your scares ;) If you come for a private lesson however I will be staring at you for most of the time, important thing to understand is that I couldn't be bothered less if you had an extra nipple. I'm looking at your body in motion and it is that motion that I'm completely focused on, but certainly be prepared for a lot of attention.
    I remember I was teaching a guy with an amputated leg few years back, several times I had a chance to observe him after lessons during his solo practice at the public hour and I don't remember anyone even noticing him.

2old4dacold - "worked in a pool for years and i found the hat and goggles are a great leveller, i've yet to see someone that looks good in them" come on not even one person? If I were you I would try a different county or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Im more or less the same OP , and I really loved swimming when I was younger , my parents used to call me the man from Atlantis as I practically lived in the swimming pool , but thats when your young and you've no inhibitions, suppose I should get over it but easier said than done , suppose its sad really to let something you liked doing stop because of personal hang ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Im more or less the same OP , and I really loved swimming when I was younger , my parents used to call me the man from Atlantis as I practically lived in the swimming pool , but thats when your young and you've no inhibitions, suppose I should get over it but easier said than done , suppose its sad really to let something you liked doing stop because of personal hang ups.

Please hang up you hang ups, you and OP.

Take a few minutes to imagine you are bed ridden, for whatever reason, old age, accident, stroke, whatever. You are bed ridden and cannot get the use of your body back........what would you give to have it back and jump in a pool and swim.

You are young and healthy enough to swim, jog, cycle, whatever, but do it, because life waits on no one and their hang ups.

I just went to my first swim class last night. A 35 yo woman, swimming with 2 teenage lads and 3 men in my lane. I don't think they even knew I was there;)

And I wasn't very dolphin like:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

Just swim, the more you do the better you'll feel. As regards acne, if you still get flare ups, try covering the area with MILK OF MAGNESIUM over night for a number of days, it's got a PH of 10, it works wonders on fungus and MRSA infected scars anyway. Life is too short.

Advertisement