Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Viber wrote: »
    May I ask just how many contacts were synced?
    Also - are you using a custom ROM?
    Lastly - does your phone/SIM contain NO contacts at all? they're ALL on stored on the Google account?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

1. There are approx 200 contacts
    2. It's not a custom ROM
    3. They are all from my google account, I prefer this way in case I lose the phone or damage the SIM.

I've had it like this for quite a while so I was thinking it might have been a change in the last viber udate. Not sure though, it only seemed to start causing problems in the last week.

Cheers for your help. And great work, it's a fantastic app. Usually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Thanks for the info, we'll investigate the problem.
    May I also ask for your device, and exact Android version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Just thought I'd share this Viber workaround for Blade running Swedish Spring, where sound is being routed to the speaker:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/334849-rom-froyo-swedish-spring-rls5-2011-04-19-oledtft-gen1gen2/page__view__findpost__p__1794565
    Stumbled upon a solution (works for me, at least). After turning the phone on, or after reboot, just open "FM Radio" app, without connecting the headphones => close the app => the sound during the talk on Viber will now be routed to the earpiece, as it should. It will work until the next reboot, then the FM Radio must be open again for Viber to work properly. Why is this effective - beats me, but it works like a charm!

This works, I have verified on my Blade, with SS 5/Gen2.

It is best to re-boot initially, close/exit Viber, run FM Radio App, close it again, restart Viber then Viber Calls, incoming and outgoing, route to phone ear-piece, and will stick until next re-boot.

This even survives exiting Viber again, to prevent Battery drain, and starting as required.

Of course, on phone re-boot, you need to repeat procedure.

Probably not elegant, but workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Have just installed Viber on my Vodafone Smart 858 which is running the debranded ROM found here ->http://android.modaco.com/topic/341370-rom-02jun-r00-de-branded-rom-for-vodafone-smarthuawei-u8160-froyo/

I don't have a sim in the phone, I'm using my wi-fi connection and texts are coming and going OK. Sound quality on a call was a bit choppy at first, but seemed to improve, then the call ended unexpectedly.

Is there a limit to the length of a free call?

Not as far as we're concerned. A Viber call can last as long as you want (as long as the other side agrees lol)

• Advertisement

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

1. There are approx 200 contacts
    2. It's not a custom ROM
    3. They are all from my google account, I prefer this way in case I lose the phone or damage the SIM.

I've had it like this for quite a while so I was thinking it might have been a change in the last viber udate. Not sure though, it only seemed to start causing problems in the last week.

Cheers for your help. And great work, it's a fantastic app. Usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

It's an XPERIA X8, running Android 2.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newtoandroid

Downloaded Viber to my Smartphone but have only been able to use it once or twice as I keep getting the message 'Viber service is currently unavailable or being blocked. Please try again later. Place regular call instead?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Downloaded Viber to my Smartphone but have only been able to use it once or twice as I keep getting the message 'Viber service is currently unavailable or being blocked. Please try again later. Place regular call instead?'

That happen me once or twice. I think it was down to no 3g signal. I am with 3 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

doesn't block me and I am on vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Is there no way to tell which contacts are online? Tis a bit pointless calling someone if they won't hear it or won't get text message till online again.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late response. :/

@Deadly Delta - We haven't yet tested Viber on Xperia X8. Since the Android OS covers a large array of devices we are working around the clock on testing Viber on different devices. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look into this matter. We are about to release a new, more stable version in few weeks and would be happy to know if it has resolved your issue. Thank you!

@newtoandroid - You might want to check this thread in order to get some answers: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056398786 ;)

@Sneachta - This feature is highly requested and it's being discussed at the moment for future releases.
    Meanwhile, note that when you make a Viber call, if it says "Ringing..", it means the other side's phone is literally ringing, meaning they're online. If it only says "Calling..", it probably means they're offline.

Same for messaging - if you send a text and you see the "✔" sign, it means the message has been received at the other side's phone (he's online). If you only see the arrow sign, it means it's been sent from you, but pending the other side to come online (they're offline at the moment).

Think of Viber as a "substitute" to your real phone. When you call/text someone, you're not sure if they are currently available or not. Right? ;)

Thanks,
    Viber Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Viber, is likey that Viber can be moved to SD card, at any stage

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Viber, is likey that Viber can be moved to SD card, at any stage

It is certainly a future plan of ours, but at this stage we don't know wen it will be developed unfortunately :(
    We still have other critical tasks prioritized before the option to move to SD card.

EDIT: I'd like to correct myself - there is *some* support for SD cards on our new version, however not full support.
    Please try it out and let us know if it works now when installed on your SD.

Hi everyone,
    We are excited to announce that the long-anticipated Viber 2.1 has just been released to AppStore and Market!

Among the new features:
    - A whole new sound codec, offering higher voice quality, better support for Viber calls on 3G networks and interrupted internet connections.
    - Photo sharing inside Viber text messages. Not only is it possible to send photos via Viber, it is now also possible to easily share them, upload them to Facebook, etc.
    - Viber text messages are now location-aware, meaning you can share your current whereabouts with each and every Viber message that you send.
    - Viber now supports iOS5.
    - Viber now supports Landscape mode.
    - And many more new features and bug fixes.

Should you have any questions regarding this new version or about Viber in general, please do not hesitate to ask.
    the Viber Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Great work! Cant wait to take a look :)
    Now to beat more of my friends into using it >_>

Actually. Is there any plans to allow a backup of messages within viber? I always backup my standard messages so itd be handy to have this available too

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Right. 1st chink in the armor. Does the new version require your contacts to have the new version too?
    I've no contacts listed anymore even though I was only talking to people on it this morning.

EDIT: Sorry. Back now. Weird :/

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Great work! Cant wait to take a look :)
    Now to beat more of my friends into using it >_>

Actually. Is there any plans to allow a backup of messages within viber? I always backup my standard messages so itd be handy to have this available too

We have plans for adding this option in the future, but unfortunately we still don't know when it will be ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

Now froms from sd:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Right. 1st chink in the armor. Does the new version require your contacts to have the new version too?
    I've no contacts listed anymore even though I was only talking to people on it this morning.

EDIT: Sorry. Back now. Weird :/

Viber - any comment on this? My girlfriend downloaded the update last night and now no contacts are showing in her phone and she can't message anyone. I can send her a message via Viber, and she receives it, but she can't send them herself (comes up as needing to invite the person to Viber).

It was working perfectly before the update.

Do you HAVE to have the update in order to use viber (ie. could she go back to the previous version of Viber, which was working fine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Viber - any comment on this? My girlfriend downloaded the update last night and now no contacts are showing in her phone and she can't message anyone. I can send her a message via Viber, and she receives it, but she can't send them herself (comes up as needing to invite the person to Viber).

It was working perfectly before the update.

Do you HAVE to have the update in order to use viber (ie. could she go back to the previous version of Viber, which was working fine)

Not sure if this will be of use but the same thing happened me this morning. I then went into settings and just enabled Bluetooth hands-free and then when I came out they were all there. Maybe try changing a setting cos it might just need a "kick start" of sorts! Not very technical I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

s_carnage wrote: »
    Not sure if this will be of use but the same thing happened me this morning. I then went into settings and just enabled Bluetooth hands-free and then when I came out they were all there. Maybe try changing a setting cos it might just need a "kick start" of sorts! Not very technical I know!!

was thinking of doing similar when i get my hands on the phone - just change some random settings, restart it etc. see it it reboots it into working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

After the update I had to kill and restart Viber to get it to show up the contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Any chance of "move to SD" capability soon? 8MB is a too much space to take up on a lot of phones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love the new picture messege capabilities. Can't get any bewb pics but I'm working on it. Excellent work viber. Thanks.

All,
    Sorry for the late response.

Contacts problem - this is probably due to the immense pressure on our servers right now. We are looking into it, but for now we advise you to try workarounds in order to solve this problem: change contact's phone number, save and exit, then change it back. Another solution: remove Viber, wait a few minutes, then reinstall. Lastly - try dialing the destination user through the DialPad (in the number's full format).

SD card - there is *some* support for SD cards on the new version, but not full. Please try it out, and report back if it works for you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

SD card - there is *some* support for SD cards on the new version, but not full. Please try it out, and report back if it works for you or not.

I was able to move it to the SD card on my phone - Orange San Francisco. I have App2SD installed and it alerted me when I installed the update .

Great news :)
    Please "play" with the app a little bit now that it's on your SD and let me know if there are any special problems/bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭deckie27

Great news :)
    Please "play" with the app a little bit now that it's on your SD and let me know if there are any special problems/bugs.

Have it running on SD card for a week now
    Calls work perfectly as do messaging etc.
    HTC desire

• Advertisement

Users with Xperia X8: we heard that some of you are experiencing a critical bug that prevents you from hearing the other side (or vice versa).

Regardless of whether you personally have it or not, may we ask you to check what the "Model Number" of your device is?
    You can do it by simply going to Settings --> "About Phone" (at the very bottom) --> Model Number

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement