Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted, Unrestricted, and Prohibited Calibers. - Explain.

• 28-08-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

hello ,can anyone tell me is the 44 /40 caliber restricted in the repubic of ireland for rifles? what calibers are legal in ireland going up in caliber from your 22 caliber when restricted is mentioned i presume we mean heavy calibers like 50 /70 can someone on here take a second to explain what is legal and restricted thank you all

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is a world of difference in what you asked about so if you don't mind i changed the title to reflect this and started the ball rolling with a fairly general answer.
    1. Firearms that are over .308 in caliber are deemed restricted. This means that the security level applicable is higher, the reason will be more closely scrutinised and the application can only be dealt with by a Chief Super.
    2. Firearms of .308 and under are deemed unrestricted. Less security (amount of firearm dependant), and processed by your Super.
    3. All firearms of centrefire nature and being semi auto are restricted and fall under the criteria outlined in point 1.
    4. All centre fire handguns are restricted.
    5. Most .22 rimfire handguns are unrestricted. Once the mag capacity is 5 or under.
    6. The next category are Prohibited forearms. These are firearms that will not be licensed in Ireland. Such as fully automatic fireamrs, etc.
    7. Most calibers of fireamr can be licensed. You must show valid/good reason to need one, and usually show why a smaller/lesser caliber firearm could not perform the same task.
    8. There are far more detailed descriptions within the firearms act which at 4 in the morning i'm simply too lazy to go look for. May try tomorrow.
    To summarise;
    • Restricted - Allowed/legal bu higher checks to acquire.
    • Unrestricted - Allowed/legal.
    • Prohibited - Not allowed/ usually illegal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's also worth noting that no applications for restricted short firearms are being considered, so no centrefire handguns. In other words, in a rifle, the 44/40 is licensable, but not in a pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

than:)x for the info ezrid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

AFAIR, 44-40 is not strictly speaking a rifle calibre these days unless you count the many versions of underlever carbines available. There are quite a few in our club - but I've never seen anything other than an underlever-type long arm in this calibre.

In UK we can also have the the mutually interchangeable .44 Special/.44 Rem Mag - in long-barrelled revolver or in an underlever carbine or short rifle. Marlin, Winchester [until recently], Rossi and Uberti all make fine underlever guns in these calibres.

tac

hi i was chatting with my uncle recently about shooting and i was just saying to him its not the easiest sport to get in to he claimed that things were a lot stricter under f,gael in the 1980's that basically dessie o malloy made it only legal for a 22 calibre rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun is this really the truth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

hi i was chatting with my uncle recently about shooting and i was just saying to him its not the easiest sport to get in to he claimed that things were a lot stricter under f,gael in the 1980's that basically dessie o malloy made it only legal for a 22 calibre rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun is this really the truth?

Yes, .22 centrefire calibres for deerstalkers, no centrefire rifle target shooting that i am aware of .

if that was the way back then we certainly were not spoilt for choice:mad: it was very draconian the old super here wasn't the easiest at even giving out licenses for 22.s thankfully the younger chap in now is much more open about shooting sports

if that was the way back then we certainly were not spoilt for choice:mad: it was very draconian the old super here wasn't the easiest at even giving out licenses for 22.s thankfully the younger chap in now is much more open about shooting sports

I always felt the older generation of guard suspected anyone wanting a firearms licence was a closet terrorist , it was certainly the vibe i used to get when heading in to a station to make an application, the younger generation of guard are certainly much less suspicious.

i totally agree with you rowa ,unless you lived on a farm they weren' t to good at giving out licenses , here in my home place it took the old super an absolute age to allow you to get a firearms license i had to apply 3 times you werenot given a reason if your application failed ,i think back in the 80;s for a centre fire for hunting you needed something like 50 signatures or something i may be wrong about that but something crazy anyway , i think the mentality was rowa back then from the guards was 'we are the state police we are unharmed why would you need a firearm ?' i dont think shooting sports was taken on too well i think this harped back to the time of the civil war to be honest thanfully a lot has changed if there some people got their ay back then there would be no firearms at all in ireland

i totally agree with you rowa ,unless you lived on a farm they weren' t to good at giving out licenses , here in my home place it took the old super an absolute age to allow you to get a firearms license i had to apply 3 times you werenot given a reason if your application failed ,i think back in the 80;s for a centre fire for hunting you needed something like 50 signatures or something i may be wrong about that but something crazy anyway , i think the mentality was rowa back then from the guards was 'we are the state police we are unharmed why would you need a firearm ?' i dont think shooting sports was taken on too well i think this harped back to the time of the civil war to be honest thanfully a lot has changed if there some people got their way back then there would be no firearms at all in ireland

• Advertisement

to be honest i,d like to see the day when i could do a little bit of bp shooting hopefully soon when the explosive laws are cleared up i,d hate to coming on boards.ie 3 years time asking the same questions about reloading propellant primers and the whole sonario of trying to go down the c42 route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    Are the German Mauser Kar 98s allowed?

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Are the German Mauser Kar 98s allowed?

regards
    Stovepipe

restricted if its in 7.92mm(8mm mauser), unless the one you getting has been rebarreled to .308

I know feck all about vintage rifles so excuse my ignorance on the subject, but is the Mauser KAR98 not a bolt action 6.5?

I only know or ask because a friend has one and thats the caliber. Now i know that alot of rifle come in different calibers, but i don't think/know if the idea of same model in various calibers was a rich as it is now.

If it is the 6.5 and bolt action then its unrestricted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Ezridax wrote: »
    I know feck all about vintage rifles so excuse my ignorance on the subject, but is the Mauser KAR98 not a bolt action 6.5?

I only know or ask because a friend has one and thats the caliber. Now i know that alot of rifle come in different calibers, but i don't think/know if the idea of same model in various calibers was a rich as it is now.

If it is the 6.5 and bolt action then its unrestricted.

The Sweidish one is 6.5x55 not a k98 but a m96. it's the same thing pretty much.
    The German K98 is in 7.92x57.

juice1304 wrote: »
    The Swedish one is 6.5x55 .....

Just after copping my mistake. I'm thinking of the Swedish, and the chao asked about German. :o

Told ya i know feck all about them.:)

newby.204 wrote: »
    restricted if its in 7.92mm(8mm mauser), unless the one you getting has been rebarreled to .308

The norwegian military sold some off recently and they had been fitted with brand new .30 06 barrels, they were supposed to be very nice rifles.

The German Mauser of 1898 - Gew98 ]Rifle Model of 1898], and its derivatives in German service, the Kar98 [Carbine] and K98[K] - Short carbine, were always in the German military calibre of 7.92x57 Mauser, usually called 8mm for ease of writing.

6.5mm calibre Mausers/Krags [actually 6.5x55] were limited to Sweden, Norway and Denmark [and amazingly, the USA], and were not called Kar98.

There are a good few of both types of firearms in use by members of the VCRAI.

Here are a few of the 6.5mm calibre firearms you might see, and some you might be familiar with today - asterisked....

6.5 x 50 SR Arisaka
    6.5 x 53.5R Dutch Mannlicher
    6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schönauer
    6.5x55 mm Krag
    6.5x55 Swedish Carl Gustaf/Husqvarna
    6.5-284*
    .260 Remington*
    6.5 mm Creedmoor*
    6.5x47mm Lapua*
    6.5 mm Grendel*
    .264 Win Magnum*
    6.5 x 52 mm Carcano - allegedly used to assassinate President Kennedy.

tac

Hi tac and the others,
    thanks for the replies. I had heard that the authorities had stopped the Kar98 and other 7.92mm Mausers because they were written down as 8mm, which exceeded the nominal limit.
    As it also happens, I fired the Carcano 6.5 carbine in Texas in 1997 and I remember it had a hell of a punch and a particularly high velocity for it's size. I fired the .303 and the Bren in the FCA and the FN, GPMG and Steyr in the Air Corps. I'd love to get a chance to fire full-calibre again.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Hi tac and the others,
    thanks for the replies. I had heard that the authorities had stopped the Kar98 and other 7.92mm Mausers because they were written down as 8mm, which exceeded the nominal limit.
    As it also happens, I fired the Carcano 6.5 carbine in Texas in 1997 and I remember it had a hell of a punch and a particularly high velocity for it's size. I fired the .303 and the Bren in the FCA and the FN, GPMG and Steyr in the Air Corps. I'd love to get a chance to fire full-calibre again.
    regards
    Stovepipe

They haven't stopped the kar98 or the 8mm mauser ,its just restricted , you apply to the chief super instead of the super and just need a plausable reason to own one.

• Advertisement

Hi tac and the others,
    regards
    Stovepipe

It's amazing what the imagination can cook up by calling something 'restricted' because the perceived difference made by a measurement of three hundredths of a millimeter...draw a pencil line with a newly sharpened pencil - that's about 50 hundredths of a millimeter [sigh......]

Anyway, Mr Stovepipe, get yourself over to the VCRAI forum and join in, and then go to one of their shoots. There's almost nothing but full-size ould guns there to talk about and to shoot.

Tell 'em I sent you. ;)

tac

Hi all,
    @tac foley, I'll do exactly that. Is it okay for ordinary public to go and watch, then?
    regards
    Stovepipe

Dear Mr Pipe - I'm sure that if you give my pal John Kavanagh at Fingal Sports a call he will advise you on how to go about making a meet. Tell him that I sent you and refer him to this post. They are a great bunch there, they keep telling me ;)

Let us know how you get on, eh?

Best

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patch365

have bought a kar98k beautiful russian capture all serial numbers matching but for butt plate. just joining rifle range to justify the licience 600euro but it is worth it every time i hear the bolt click its like listening to the sound of history. classic the bolt design is the basis for virtually all bolt action rifles today would try to deer licience to justify licience application but i feel guilty if i kill an insect im no extremist but you have to hand it to the germans they kicked ass but lostout when they adopted that nazi supremescist bull****. 7.92 is restricted meaning u need a chief superintendant to sign off on it as police are unarmed last thing they want is one of the worlds best sniper rifles falling into wrong hands. prepare to kiss ass like you have you have never kissed ass before. check out restricted firearms ireland

patch365 wrote: »
    have bought a kar98k beautiful russian capture all serial numbers matching but for butt plate. just joining rifle range to justify the licience 600euro but it is worth it every time i hear the bolt click its like listening to the sound of history. classic the bolt design is the basis for virtually all bolt action rifles today would try to deer licience to justify licience application but i feel guilty if i kill an insect im no extremist but you have to hand it to the germans they kicked ass but lostout when they adopted that nazi supremescist bull****. 7.92 is restricted meaning u need a chief superintendant to sign off on it as police are unarmed last thing they want is one of the worlds best sniper rifles falling into wrong hands. prepare to kiss ass like you have you have never kissed ass before. check out restricted firearms ireland

What year was it made and do you have any pictures ?

Advertisement