Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weather-proofing a timber stock

• 15-11-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering about how to seal the internal part of a rifle stock,ie:under the barrel and around the action/mag/trigger etc. against damp weather. Is this something that can be done at home or do I need to go to see pat or enda and so-on? I'm just asking as the budget is tight these days. Cheers.
    LR

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Birchwood Casey gun stock sealers, finishing, etc kits or bottles of oil.

Straight forward enough with no expertise needed. I'm sure there are more professional ways, but for someone that may not know much about wood finishing (me) it does the job. Takes a few coats, and a bit of elbow grease, but that's about it.

I'm sure someone will have a better solution.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers Ez,I'll give it a go. Hopefully it'll do the job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Boiled linseed oil is good and available everywhere. A few thin coats in a warm room and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

I use bee's wax on my wood. I wonder would it make it weather proof. Puts a nice shine on the timber. Its what eamon galvin told me he usaes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

recipio wrote: »
    Boiled linseed oil is good and available everywhere. A few thin coats in a warm room and that's it.
    I have used boiled linseed oil but it absorbs into the timber, and helps prevents dents, etc, but i don;t think it gives a waterproof sealing.

Open to correction.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Ezridax wrote: »
    I have used boiled linseed oil but it absorbs into the timber, and helps prevents dents, etc, but i don;t think it gives a waterproof sealing.

Open to correction.

It does waterproof, its what was used on the old military rifles like the garand , lee enfields etc, the rifle makers didn't care less about getting a nice finish just making the rifle waterproof. another option is danish oil which drys quicker or a couple of coats of yacht varnish.

Advertisement