Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

game industry heroes... who are yours?

• 17-02-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

I got to spend 20 minutes talking to ed boon today and i was like a giggly schoolgirl. so it got me thinking, who are your gaming heroes and what would you ask them if you had chance to speak to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

George Broussard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Helix wrote: »
    I got to spend 20 minutes talking to ed boon today and i was like a giggly schoolgirl. so it got me thinking, who are your gaming heroes and what would you ask them if you had chance to speak to them?

Howd U manage that?? Boon is a legend.

I suppose Miyamoto or David Perry would have me giggling aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he was demoing mk vita at an event i was at, so I grabbed a chat. genuinely a gent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stamper brothers.

Should have slapped Boon and told him to stop, the horse is long dead stop beating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Tim Schafer. How much did he have to smoke before he developed psychonauts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

my gaming industry hero is [insert all names of CD project RED here]!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Think it'd have to be Miaymoto, or the fella who made pokemon, his name slips my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Robert Bowling

ha, just kidding, he needs a kick in the stones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've always had respect for game developers who have such a compellingly unique vision that their names alone are a selling point. Schafer, Ancel, Miyamoto, Mizuguchi...

And Jade Raymond. Always Jade Raymond.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Schafer, Ancel, Miyamoto

And Jade Raymond. Always Jade Raymond.

^ Those 3 + Jade...

And Ron Gilbert. Tell me the damn secret! Or show me the plans for Monkey Island 3 as it was meant to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Michel Ancel, Tim Schafer, Jordan Mechner, Suda Goichi, Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, Kenta Cho, ZUN, whoever designed the level layouts in Donkey Kong Country 2, and the guys from French Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Jack Thompson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The entire company of sega so trying to convince them to bring out dreamcast 2 ,shemue 3 and streets of rage

Jade raymond and kojima also

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Suda Goichi, Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya

Also: these :pac:

Can the entirety of Platinum Games count, actually? Because they're reliably awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oh I forgot, Ken Silverman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Anyone who decides to work in the games industry.

The vast majority will be overworked, underpaid and spend their time working on unambitious titles with crazy deadlines for feckless publishers. On top of that treated like they're lazy, shiftless greedy shysters by the spoilt children that constitute the majority of 'gamers'.

So here's to those crazy bastards that forsake money and health so that people have something to complain about on the internet!

On the plus side the average time someone spends in the games industry is about five years at which point I can only assume they finally have had enough of the bullshit and getting a job that sucks slightly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Matt Saettler who was the project manager at Monolith for Blood. Very generous and helpful bloke when I bombarded him with emails regarding said game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Solid snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Forgot to mention: Suda 51!

Some truly mad games. Particularly loved Killer 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Cliffy B
    (also helps that he's a ride)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i met jade redmond a while back at an event

i didnt know who she was, and paid her little heed because she was a girl :P

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Ken Levine (System Shock, Bioshock, NOT Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite).
    Definitely one of the smarter developers I know, and not afraid to make some insightful observations and challenge the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Off the top of my head?

From a design perspective...

Warren Spector (Wing Commanders, Ultimas, System Shock, Thief & Deus Ex)
    Shigeru Miyamoto (duh)
    Patrice Désilets (not only Creative Director on the early Assassins Creed series but also Prince of Persia: Sands of Time)
    Peter Molyneux (circa 1997 :) )

From a code perspective...

John Carmack (iD)
    Tim Sweeney (Unreal)
    Ken Silverman (Build)
    Michael Abrash (****ing graphics genius in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

Nobody else wants to meet Gabe Newell?!

The man is so articulate I could listen to him speak all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Nobody else wants to meet Gabe Newell?!

The man is so articulate I could listen to him speak all day.
    Most people want his hide to be fair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Helix wrote: »
    i met jade redmond a while back at an event

i didnt know who she was, and paid her little heed because she was a girl :P

Jade Raymond. Goddam, she's gorgeous!!! What could possibly have been more attention-grabbing than her?:p

Miyamoto probably. Don't think it would be a very interesting conversation: "I love your games." "Ok, thanks." The end. Not even sure if he speaks Engrish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd love to sit down and have a few pints with Trip Hawkins. I mean he's the bloke the founded Electronic Arts, then left them to found 3D0 and create the 3D0 console.

He's bounced backed from that to form Digital Chocolate and in between found time to design his own Major course in Harvard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The programmer side of me would say Carmack and Sweeney but the gamer in me would say Tom Hall. Ahh Anachronox. The memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

ah sure feck it, props to Romero too. Doom and Doom 2 are fantastic games. He had some brilliant ideas back in the day. He's a pretty sound bloke too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I actually would like to speak to Gabe Newell... AFTER he releases Half-Life 3! :mad:

Also, all of Team Ico.

Advertisement