Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Calibre is a Shotgun? (FCA1)

• 02-10-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Can anyone tell me what to write here on the FCA1 for Calibre on an over/under Shotgun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope, 'cos none of us can see what kind of shotgun it is :D

(Seriously, if it's 12 gauge, write that, if it's .410 write that, etc, etc. Gauge is a perfectly valid and accepted measurement of calibre.)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Again - thank you. Gauge it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

knockon wrote: »
    Again - thank you. Gauge it is.

you must put the particular gauge not just gauge as Sparks said 12g/20g/410g/16g whichever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If you look at the shot gun, on the barrells near the action you will see the gauge stamped with the cartidge size and sonmetimes the barrell length.

Assuming you are an active shooter look at the box of shells you have and see whats written on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

knockon wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what to write here on the FCA1 for Calibre on an over/under Shotgun?

your should should be 12g,20g,28g. it will tell you on your licence. 12g or 12bore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Quote.. (something off the internet off some site)..

What does gauge mean?

Do you know why a 12 gauge is called a 12 gauge?

The gauge of a shotgun barrel was originally determined by the number of identically-sized lead balls that have the same diameter as the bore, and weigh one pound. Example: Let's say the bore of a 20 gauge is .6 of an inch. It would take 20, six tenths of an inch lead balls, to weigh 1 pound. Using the same numbers, if one were to build a gun with a bore of .675 it would take 16 lead balls that size to weigh 1 pound--- thus a 16 gauge. Oops !! - what about a 410? Truth is a 410 is not actually a gauge. It is a caliber... .410 inches bore. Applying the math to this would make a 410 shotgun actually a 67 gauge.... so next time you go to buy your 410 shells ask for some 67 gauge shells and see what happens!

Sort of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A .22 would be a 450 guage

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

And a 4 Bore Elephant Gun fires a 4 ounce lead slug.:eek:
    The recoil is not as extreme as this sugests as these were all black powder guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I beg to differ on that one Rexer.As would a certain Mr Selous,who was much noted for his big game hunting expeditions in Africa in the 19th century.He used a chopped down 4 bore BP fowling piece for elephant hunting.It was the famous "four to a pound" gun,and it's recoil was horrendous even to an experianced hunter. I've fired a 4bore single barrel BP shotgun...once! From the weight and size,not to mind recoil it would be better mounted in a gun turret on a tank.Anyone who used one of those yokes to make a living was a very hardy fellow.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

REXER wrote: »
    And a 4 Bore Elephant Gun fires a 4 ounce lead slug.:eek:
    The recoil is not as extreme as this sugests as these were all black powder guns.

That looks severe enough.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I beg to differ on that one Rexer.As would a certain Mr Selous,who was much noted for his big game hunting expeditions in Africa in the 19th century.He used a chopped down 4 bore BP fowling piece for elephant hunting.It was the famous "four to a pound" gun,and it's recoil was horrendous even to an experianced hunter. I've fired a 4bore single barrel BP shotgun...once! From the weight and size,not to mind recoil it would be better mounted in a gun turret on a tank.Anyone who used one of those yokes to make a living was a very hardy fellow.

+1. I've also fired a 4 bore, and a 6 bore howdah pistol. The latter was worse.
    P.
    PS
    I'm not Grizzly's doppelganger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

On a sidenote, is that Mr Selous the same Mr Selous from whom the Selous Scouts got their name ?

The very man!;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

I put 12 gauge on my form, and the FO crossed it out an dwrote over and under.

Gortglas wrote: »

Don't you just love this country :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Good grief :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

foxhunter wrote: »

thats not surprising, a member of the garda once stopped me whilst carrying a rifle with a harris bipod on back in 1986, he examined the feet
    which were lying parrallel to the barrel then looked down the barrel and with a puzzled look he asked"where do the bullets come out":D-I kid you not:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My 12 gauge licence has had 'double barrel' as the calibre for almost 30 years, wonder will they change it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

then looked down the barrel and with a puzzled look he asked"where do the bullets come out":D-I kid you not:eek:
    :eek:Did you see the thread on Firearms safety?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Garda asked a lad i know "what calibre of rifle is this? Sure the army don't have guns that big." It was a single barrel shotgun. The Garda didn't believe him and took it. When the lad called the super and complained the Garda had to return the shotgun and apologise (with a sheepish look on his face).

God, if it wasn't so serious it would be funny.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Yeah, his eyes were so twisted he probably couldn't see the barrel had no twist. All joking aside; what do you put on a European firearms pass as caliber when your licence says over and under ? If you end up in a country with a firearms savvy police force like for example Italy, Belgium, Germany or France ? You'll get a wtf look from the copper on duty at the airport I bet you. I'm not saying most Gardai aren't firearms savvy but over and under is not a caliber. If they want that info on the licences they should have had a little box saying "appearance" or "configuration".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'll see now if my double barrelled pump action gets put down properly this time around :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did you ask him where you are supposed to buy that special over and under calibre ammunition?:D

kowloon wrote: »
    I'll see now if my double barrelled pump action gets put down properly this time around :D.

It's out of their hands now Kowloon it's up to you to put the right description on the application.

What? You mean there will be more more 22 Inch licences? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

foxhunter wrote: »

I'm hearing more 'classics' like "sure how can we give you a shotgun licence for 3 years, your GPA membership is only for a year".

Em, ..............

G17 wrote: »
    I'm hearing more 'classics' like "sure how can we give you a shotgun licence for 3 years, your GPA membership is only for a year".

Em, ..............

Ya I heard that one myself yesterday :rolleyes:.
    I have heard that there has been 20 licences granted in enniscorthy so far
    this is some good news as last week they had a sign up saying no applications were being accepted.
    Also heard that to do a substitution on a gun you must cancel your licence with fca2 and apply on fca1 for a new licence this will be the case until everything is sorted out in the future.

What? You mean there will be more more 22 Inch licences? ;)

Well, hopefully there will still bve liscenses for 9.00 mm Glocks[as per my liscense]:eek::eek::eek:
    9cms or 3.5in calibre.

Advertisement