Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player is Live!

• 21-04-2009 1:39pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its been in Beta for some time now but RTE have finally launched RTE player http://www.rte.ie/player/

The content is "ok", contains home made shows by RTE and some BBC content such as nature shows and Eastenders, its not great but its a start and a sigh better then what they had.

Quality of the site is reasonable also, not yet as good as BBC iPlayer and it doesn't does not have the same content choice....for example BBC iPlayer has Heroes on offer. [EDIT] I stand corrected I just saw they have Grey's Anatomy on the player

Though in saying all this the service/site is still in beta so I'm pretty hopefully and hope RTE take this change to make some very positive moves regarding on-line content :)

The site is Geo IP locked so if your not accessing the site via an Irish IP Address then forget about it, (much the same as UK IP with BBC iPlayer site)

[EDIT]
    For those of you on an ISP with a small cap, its worth remembering that 50min viewing on RTE Player is equal to approx 200MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I suggest that people keep an eye on download allowances before overdosing on Glenroe :D

She's a bit of a bandwidth animal.

Well Done RTE though...good to see. Glad I peer at INEX!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Blank page when I tried there. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Blank page when I tried there. :confused:

It's Flash based, so check your Flash install is working okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spear wrote: »
    It's Flash based, so check your Flash install is working okay.

I got it working just before I came back here. Looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

WOW - actually impressed well done RTE - considering the state of the 2FM new website - this is a good job.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's about time RTE jumped on the bandwagon. Thumbs up to them on the layout, nice and easy to maneuver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As long as it doesn't use RealMedia is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RealAlternative/Mediaplayer Classic does realmedia.

ISPs and users will be better off now if they subsidize PVRS. As long as we have caps and contention, these fake TV systems just wreck Internet usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

watty wrote: »

ISPs and users will be better off now if they subsidize PVRS. As long as we have caps and contention, these fake TV systems just wreck Internet usage.

I think that just means ISP's need to adapt faster to changing internet usage, newer technologies, price plans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

You can watch RTÉ News Now through it too, no more RealPlayer for me!

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »

I'm not concerned with the end-user client, it's more the backend of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The videos are flash, although I;'ve not seen it I've seen comments on twitter that RTE cut out the adbreaks and simply replace them with 3-5min of a dark screen....very foolish!

They would be better of just having the episode as a whole without any caps...ala BBC

The very fact RTE have now launched this may be very beneficial to Irish ISP's as the average home user will now use more bandwidth which hopefully will get ISP's to increase caps as they otherwise risk loosing customers to other ISP's that have higher caps OR they';ll start receiving complaints which no ISP wants.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Thanks for the info OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Nice one, Got a quick perv of the Seoige girls in there :p

Although, Grainne FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Jaysus, never thought i'd say it but well done RTE, well laid out, nice colours and handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems I was a tad off with content, they do have "some" non RTE & BBC content, just noticed they have Grey's Anatomy up for streaming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

*Shock* :eek: Very good layout / colour scheme.Very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maynooth11

could someone please help me. when i try to use the rte player in explorer it comes up page error and in chrome and firefox only a blank page comes up. i live in kildare and have flah player 10 so i don't know whats wrong:(:(

maynooth11 wrote: »
    could someone please help me. when i try to use the rte player in explorer it comes up page error and in chrome and firefox only a blank page comes up. i live in kildare and have flah player 10 so i don't know whats wrong:(:(

When you go the page www.rte.ie/player are you redirected to www.rte.ie/player/# instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I used to try watching the news and other programmes on RTE in firefox under ubuntu but it didn't work because of the default Real format - I'm not at home and can't check, has anyone got it working at the moment?

LA3G wrote: »
    I used to try watching the news and other programmes on RTE in firefox under ubuntu but it didn't work because of the default Real format - I'm not at home and can't check, has anyone got it working at the moment?

It's all Flash based, so if your Flash plugin works for other content in Ubuntu, you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Wow! Very impressed! Quality is very good. I'm on 1Mb and not a single jerky frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Its a step forward for RTE but they are still well behind other networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well done on the IP blocking all the same, a great chance to reach out to the Irish overseas squashed, couldn't have that now could we? Not even for the home-produced stuff, such as the nuacht, that there would be no copyright issues over.
    Bravo. Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Hagar wrote: »
    Well done on the IP blocking all the same, a great chance to reach out to the Irish overseas squashed, couldn't have that now could we? Not even for the home-produced stuff, such as the nuacht, that there would be copyright issues over.
    Bravo. Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

Yes, what's the story with this geoblocking and the north? Am trying to watch here in Belfast but am denied access -but surely us lot are entitled to it, non? Given that I can watch it on Sky and Virgin, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I imagine they provide the service to those most likely to have paid the irish TV license - much like why most of the BBC iplayer content is geo locked to the UK.

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, what's the story with this geoblocking and the north? Am trying to watch here in Belfast but am denied access -but surely us lot are entitled to it, non? Given that I can watch it on Sky and Virgin, for example.

For legal reasons mostly, RTE don't have the rights to show or stream most content outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

culabula wrote: »
    Let us use your iplayer, and you can use our RTE player :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

CutzEr wrote: »
    Let us use your iplayer, and you can use our RTE player :D

Is the wrong answer.......RTÉ One and Two as well as TG4 ARE available in the OTs on all the major digital platforms where they are not available in the UK. Therefore it does not follow that online media be blocked to north-east Ulster.

Advertisement