Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Weather Setting Off House Alarm

• 03-03-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Has anybody experienced this before...

Last night (the coldest night in Ireland for 10 years they say) my house alarm went off at 3.55am and scared the bejayzis out of me! The same thing happened over Christmas when the temperatures fell to -4 or -5 one night.

According to the log my front door was opened although this wasn't true...I checked...and double checked...then checked every other door and window in the house and rechecked my front door...and didn't sleep very well after that (damn paranoia!).

Is it possible that very cold temperatures can affect my house alarm? I don't have motion sensors, just connectors on the doors and windows.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Spocker

Same thing happened to me during the cold snap recently. What set mine off (around 4.30 ish) was the tamper switch on the bell box. I had an idea that it was just the cold weather was breaking the contact so got my local alarm buddy to bend the contact further to make sure it wouldn't happen again, but it did, a couple of nights later.

In the end, the installer replaced the bell box and it hasen't happened since (fingers crossed!). One other suggestion from my alarm buddy though was that it could have been mice chewing on my cable in the attic - I put down traps and not a sniff. That wouldn't be it in your case though, seeing as its on the door and the cables hidden.

I would try and get the sensor on the door replaced, it isn't a big job, probably no more than 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Thanks, Doc.

I'll look in to it, there's obviously something suspect in the whole set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

heat expands and cold retracts. If there is a bad connection somewhere the weather can play a big part in false alarms. Get you front door sensor/contact checked and you'll find its a bit dicky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Anyone know why my alarm activates on Halloween night. Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? We normally go away for a few hours as we cannot bear all that trick and treat shít etc. but alarm is usually sounding when we return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Litcagral wrote:
    Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? .

Eh, Yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Litcagral wrote:
    Anyone know why my alarm activates on Halloween night. Do fireworks cause enough vibrations to activate alarm? We normally go away for a few hours as we cannot bear all that trick and treat shít etc. but alarm is usually sounding when we return.
    I'd be worried if it didn't

Advertisement