Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd like to go to a Symphony. How?

• 28-05-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

I am a beginner classical music enthusiast who would like to hear a symphony.

I watched parts of Beethoven's 9th Symphony tonight and was blown away.

What event should I go to this summer in order to hear something like this live?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well you can watch one here... haunting, but some tune it would be to be able to master.... someone here will be able to give you a destination for one i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

This concert doesn't include a symphony, but it does include Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade which should blow you away in a different way! It's one of a series at the NCH in Dublin on Friday nights through the summer: check the calendar on the page I've linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Clinker wrote: »
    This concert doesn't include a symphony, but it does include Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade which should blow you away in a different way! It's one of a series at the NCH in Dublin on Friday nights through the summer: check the calendar on the page I've linked to.

I'd second that, and recommend as well the programme for the NCH on 13th July: Gershwin's wonderful "Rhapsody in Blue", a blend of classical and jazz music and after the interval Holst's "The Planets", nearly an hour of one of the great showpieces for large orchestra.

See https://www.nch.ie/online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=3F1A7B05-553E-483A-BA55-A11EE6BD83A8

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Note, most symphonies do NOT have a chorus singing.

But if you can wait until Nov 19th...

Sean Clancy: Toile Brûlée (premiere, UCDSO commission)
    Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125

UCD Symphony Orchestra
    UCD Choral Scholars
    UCD Philharmonic Choir
    Catherine Redding (soprano)
    Victoria Massey (alto)
    Eamonn Mulhall (tenor)
    Jeffrey Ledwidge (bass)
    Conductor: Ciarán Crilly

https://www.nch.ie/online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=5F99A8CC-937E-4392-BCA8-3C9BDE4A27A9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That'd be well worth seeing. Beethoven's 9th is a completely different animal live.

OP, just look at Friday evenings in the concert hall:

www.nch.ie

The National Symphony Orchestra plays nearly every Friday, and more than often has a Symphony in the programme. Once you're hooked you'll never look Bach!

............sorry...... :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you can get to London this summer, Daniel Barenboim is conducting a full Beethoven Symphony cycle at the Proms. I'm going to see if I can get there for 1 & 2, and queue for a £5 ticket.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement