Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xperia mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Anyone unlock it yet? Was it easy? :)

"Might" pick one up this week, and want to throw my Tesco SIM into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Has anyone successfully unlocked one of these phones, the instructions are a bit intimidating, is it really that hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

54kroc wrote: »
    It's fiddly in portrait but in landscape it's fine, i've fat fingers too and I found it very easy to do.

I find it really good and I'm not the biggest fan of touch screens. I prefer the portrait keyboard.

livEwirE wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully unlocked one of these phones, the instructions are a bit intimidating, is it really that hard?

no it's not. just follow the instructions that I gave in page 1. worked no probs for me. helps to have another person to put in the usb cable into the phone or pc while you are connecting the 2 points. the most difficult thing for me was figuring out where the connector point was - under the sticker that's under the battery.

Thanks glasso, hopefully it won't be too tricky, just ordered one through fatcheese:D

• Advertisement

livEwirE wrote: »
    Thanks glasso, hopefully it won't be too tricky, just ordered one through fatcheese:D

just re the piece of wire that youll need - the sort of thin stuff that you find in any old electronics works. strip down to copper on both ends and use one of these ends to tie / touch the ground pins (2 close together). get a safety pin an tie other copper wire end to this. pointy needle end of safety pin means that it's easy to accurately touch the test point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Here's a video of the unlock being done on an xperia active - the mini procedure is identical.
    Easy enough (I used the wife's tweezers and it worked fine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OVXMQath0Lk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

How good is the flash?. OP says 'runs flash' but on one spec it was 'flash support' What sort of flash limitations may there be?.

How good is the flash?. OP says 'runs flash' but on one spec it was 'flash support' What sort of flash limitations may there be?.

runs video on sites like rte player, bbc site etc no probs. that's as much as I wanted and it works seamlessly. haven't tried flash games.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Is there any way to unlock the Xperia Mini for free or do you need to pay to have it done?

• Advertisement

NO free way. cheapest is 20 dollars through fastgsm. pay by paypal or cc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

glasso wrote: »
    runs video on sites like rte player, bbc site etc no probs. that's as much as I wanted and it works seamlessly. haven't tried flash games.

I haven't found anything it can't do yet. Its 1 Ghz so its pretty snappy.

Is the GPS quick enough on it, I'm wondering it paying for a bit of data to use Google maps. I'm used to Nokia where you had OVI maps locally, no need for a data connection.

BostonB wrote: »
    I haven't found anything it can't do yet. Its 1 Ghz so its pretty snappy.

Is the GPS quick enough on it, I'm wondering it paying for a bit of data to use Google maps. I'm used to Nokia where you had OVI maps locally, no need for a data connection.

haven't used that on it as my mum has the phone but android google maps in general is pretty good but you do need data as you said. no free offline maps on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

glasso wrote: »
    haven't used that on it as my mum has the phone but android google maps in general is pretty good but you do need data as you said. no free offline maps on android.

You can pre-download google maps and use them offline.

polaris68 wrote: »
    You can pre-download google maps and use them offline.

only a small area tho and the feature seems to be removed on the new version that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

Unlocking with the testpoint is not actually hard. fastgsm have a great video tutorial in the software you download. Any metal wire will do.

Definitely recommend a second person though. Very difficult to hold wire in place while inserting USB.

Got it unlocked no problem with the guides and videos here, thanks lads:D

Unlocking with the testpoint is not actually hard. fastgsm have a great video tutorial in the software you download. Any metal wire will do.

Definitely recommend a second person though. Very difficult to hold wire in place while inserting USB.

cool. didn't have any video that I could see when I did it.
    Agree - had said that 2nd person makes it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Had no problems unlocking this phone. Used a pair of tweezers. Got 20 quid back from fat cheese. Thanks for post

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

Does anyone with experience of sim unlocking these types of phones know what the story would be with future software updates. The Xperia Mini is scheduled for an Android 4.0 update but would we be able to update with the sim unlocking software installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Got mine this morning and have to say I was a bit surprised at how small it was...I didn't really do enough research and I was feeling slightly :( However after using it, I have to say that I am impressed. It handles much better than the couple of samsungs I have had the misfortune of using over the past couple of years. (couldn't bear them so always went back to my old nokia!) So far, so good and I don't really need a big tile of a phone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

lindtee wrote: »
    Got mine this morning and have to say I was a bit surprised at how small it was...I didn't really do enough research and I was feeling slightly :( However after using it, I have to say that I am impressed. It handles much better than the couple of samsungs I have had the misfortune of using over the past couple of years. (couldn't bear them so always went back to my old nokia!) So far, so good and I don't really need a big tile of a phone anyway.

You should check out the mini pro. The flip down qwerty makes the screen completely useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Got this unlocked last night thanks to glasso ;)

I used one of the coloured paper clips with the ends stripped down, easy.

thanks again glasso.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

http://www.online-unlocks.net/index.php

I've always used the above site to unlock phones with no problems
    costs only a couple of euro
    have unlocked 5 phones off it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is something unerving about that site. It asks you to free hand type the model number, and no matter what you type in there they tell me they have an unlock code for it and to pay them.

Apparently they have an unlock code for my Sony Ericsson "I am a dog" .....

There is something unerving about that site. It asks you to free hand type the model number, and no matter what you type in there they tell me they have an unlock code for it and to pay them.

Apparently they have an unlock code for my Sony Ericsson "I am a dog" .....

haha, any codes i've used have worked though, and you pay by paypal so you're covered if it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tried them for my xperia play and they didn't have a code and just refunded me the money so to be truthful I wouldn't bother trying them for the mini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

darokane wrote: »
    http://www.online-unlocks.net/index.php

I've always used the above site to unlock phones with no problems
    costs only a couple of euro
    have unlocked 5 phones off it

Cheap enough will it work tho

Vego wrote: »
    Cheap enough will it work tho

It has worked for me, others have said it didn't work, you get your money back if it doesn't
    Any phone that i've unlocked has been over a year old, they might not have unlock codes for the newest models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

No I inputted data and it said it had a "code" so im just waiting

Advertisement