Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Indeed, they were subdued. However, their presence actually made a difference. It brought depth to Galway's panel. Also, Liam Silke was MOTM on GBFM.

Maybe you are right and read somewhere that Galway were favourites for division 2 before it started. I would love to know who made them favourites though. Galway had not done anything before the league to suggest they were favourites, an average FBD campaign followed a very average championship last year. Furthermore, they were missing a very sizable Corofin contingent. Believe me, no true Galway football fan considered them as favourites for this division.

Silke was good but he had little to do most of the match such was our troubles in the middle. MotM was an over-estimation of his influence, particularly given the number of goal chances Galway coughed up in our few forays into the Galway half.

It was FOC in midfield and Comer in attack that won it for Galway. Wouldn't be giving much if any credit to the Corofin lads. Pedar Og was excellent with a few of his frees in the second half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Westmeath were a disaster in Division 1 last year. They lost all of their matches and their average margin of defeat was 10 points per game. If you've any business going up to the top division and expecting to be competitive you really need to be beating them out the gate.
    Westmeaths home results last year in the league

Westmeath 1-7 Dublin 0-14
    Westmeath 3-09 Mayo 2-17
    Westmeath 0-13 Kerry 2-15

Westmeath weren't beaten out the gate in any of those games and all those teams are better than Roscommon.

Sundays game is a derby Westmeath playing at home and fighting tooth and nail to stay up. The Rossies should be quite pleased to come away from Mullingar with a narrow win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Get the win and see how the cards fall elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Westmeaths home results last year in the league

Westmeath 1-7 Dublin 0-14
    Westmeath 3-09 Mayo 2-17
    Westmeath 0-13 Kerry 2-15

Westmeath weren't beaten out the gate in any of those games and all those teams are better than Roscommon.

Sundays game is a derby Westmeath playing at home and fighting tooth and nail to stay up. The Rossies should be quite pleased to come away from Mullingar with a narrow win.

:confused:

They were well beaten in all of those games. I was at the Mayo one and they just collapsed in the second half - they scored a consolation goal with the last kick to put a shine on the scoreboard but they were awful that day and were nowhere near Division 1 standard over the course of the campaign.

The only Westmeath result I give a flying fùck about is the one on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Get the win and see how the cards fall elsewhere.

one of the results that will stop promotion is Cavan winning, and doing it by 2 points more than Roscommon beat Westmeath. Down losing or drawing and Roscommon winning will also see them up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

:confused:

They were well beaten in all of those games. I was at the Mayo one and they just collapsed in the second half - they scored a consolation goal with the last kick to put a shine on the scoreboard but they were awful that day and were nowhere near Division 1 standard over the course of the campaign.

Got within 4 points of Dublin that isn't well beaten. Scoring 3-9 against experienced side like Mayo isn't awful either. They weren't at the standard and that's why they were relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Westmeaths home game results from last year have nothing to do with this game.

All division 2 away games are tough, and if the team that turned up away to Down and Kildare that performance should be enough to get the win. Its a tough game and we'll get nothing easy.

Even if we don't go up its been a very good league campaign. Away wins against Kildare and Down have been the best league results we've got probably in the last 10-15 years.

With Derry, possibly Tyrone going down and Armagh coming up its going to be a tougher division next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

the two big games Roscommon played this season again laois and Galway the arse fell out of them. i belive John Evans is right in saying its to early for them to go up as it would be hard to see them keeping it kick out to the big guns in division 1.

the two big games Roscommon played this season again laois and Galway the arse fell out of them. i belive John Evans is right in saying its to early for them to go up as it would be hard to see them keeping it kick out to the big guns in division 1.

Don't feed him lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

one of the results that will stop promotion is Cavan winning, and doing it by 2 points more than Roscommon beat Westmeath. Down losing or drawing and Roscommon winning will also see them up

The table:

Down 6 4 0 2 8-77 5-75 0 8
    Meath 6 3 1 2 7-73 4-68 0 7
    Cavan 6 3 1 2 1-73 7-52 0 7
    Roscommon 6 3 1 2 5-86 6-82 0 7
    Galway 6 3 0 3 6-76 7-73 0 6
    Laois 6 2 1 3 7-65 2-80 0 5
    Westmeath 6 2 0 4 4-63 9-70 0 4
    Kildare 6 2 0 4 6-75 4-88 0 4

Are Roscommon not the ones who need to outscore Cavan by 2?

Cavan have scored 1-73 (76) and conceded 7-52 (73). A difference of +3.
    Roscommon have scored 5-85 (101) and conceded 6-82 (100). A difference of +1.

I'm reading that as Cavan being ahead on score difference by 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Syferus wrote: »
    Don't feed him lads.

you saying that John Evans didn't say this.

Jampip wrote: »
    The table:

Down 6 4 0 2 8-77 5-75 0 8
    Meath 6 3 1 2 7-73 4-68 0 7
    Cavan 6 3 1 2 1-73 7-52 0 7
    Roscommon 6 3 1 2 5-86 6-82 0 7
    Galway 6 3 0 3 6-76 7-73 0 6
    Laois 6 2 1 3 7-65 2-80 0 5
    Westmeath 6 2 0 4 4-63 9-70 0 4
    Kildare 6 2 0 4 6-75 4-88 0 4

Are Roscommon not the ones who need to outscore Cavan by 2?

Cavan have scored 1-73 (76) and conceded 7-52 (73). A difference of +3.
    Roscommon have scored 5-85 (101) and conceded 6-82 (100). A difference of +1.

I'm reading that as Cavan being ahead on score difference by 2 points.

You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Jampip wrote: »
    I'm reading that as Cavan being ahead on score difference by 2 points
    Syferus wrote: »
    You're right.

Yeah my mistake there. Will be an interesting Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Best of luck to the rosies teams this weekend, I cant see the under 21 being beaten, I think we should have enough to beat west meath in the seniors, win or lose its been a mighty start to the year with the league and fbd up the rosies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Best of luck to the rosies teams this weekend, I cant see the under 21 being beaten, I think we should have enough to beat west meath in the seniors, win or lose its been a mighty start to the year with the league and fbd up the rosies

Galway have a hex on us at U21

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Galway have a hex on us at U21

I heard they werent that good again mayo in the semi,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dont know where you heard that.Went down to Castlebar and won against a Mayo team who were big favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wouldn't say it was a great game but they went into Castlebar as underdogs and handily enough beat Mayo. Don't think it's the greatest Galway U-21 team ever but if they play well it'll take a good team to beat them. And most people feel Roscommon are a very good team.

Amazing game. Football is beautiful.

17007672836_18ac7d94a9_o_d.jpg

..that, well that is also beautiful.

• Advertisement

Pure mighty, sent the galways packing in their own back yard, we should have beaten them way more, were far the better team, I think well do the all Ireland with this team, up the seniors tomorrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was a brilliant game of football. In fairness, I was talking to my Galway fanatic aunt at half-time and we both agreed, win, lose or draw it was a terrific game.

It was just the sort of test Roscommon needed and the response to Galway's two first-half goals was excellent.

I was genuinely worried about Roscommon's midfield beforehand, but not only did they hold their own, I thought they dominated. Compton was my man of the match. He dominated aerially and got through a huge amount of work, plus scoring the goal that brought us right back into it in the first half.

The two Kennys were excellent and besides the goal (which was eerily like last week's one in the senior) I thought Mullally did very well on Comer.

Enda Smith was very quiet in the first, but really came to the fore when he was needed in the second half. Brilliant run for the third goal.

Ultan Harney really is a top-class prospect. I know he went off, but I don't know was it from exhaustion or injury (anyone?), as I thought he was struggling before he was taken off.

Anyway, it was a very good win by a very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

What time is the Westmeath game tomorrow? 3:00?

Harney wasn't injured, he was pretty pissed off coming off because he wanted desperately to keep going. I think Dowd was just playing it safe with his shoulder (it was strapped and was injured recently) and he had put in a mammoth shift by that point in the match. He was fantastic.

And yeah, 3pm tomorrow. The weekend job is only half done..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Jesus if the lads go up tomorrow, U21 Connaght Championship and Promotion to Division 1, What a weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Four u21s in Connacht out of the last 6. Hopefully kick on and win it out. Also beat Westmeath and see how things go elsewhere. Plenty of positivity around the county now.

best young fellas in the country,

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Hello Division 1!!
    Great weekend to be a Rossie

Some weekend. We've made it back to the big time.

• Advertisement

Mighty altogether and the galways stuck below in division 2 to make it even better, between this the fbd and the u21s it's some year, theres not a team now whod fancy meeting us the chaminship, up the rosies

Advertisement