Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Homemade Protein Shakes???

• 16-07-2009 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey,
    we all know money's tight at the moment and whey protein mix costs a lot of money in health shops especially when using them often after the gym. i was wondering is there any way of making a cheap homemade protein shake which is of similar quality and benefit as the expensive powder mixes that can be bought???

also do supermarkets like tesco, lidl etc. sell anything on the lines of whey protein powder as a lot of homemade protein shakes i have found while googling contain whey protein powder??possibly used in cooking/baking??!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

www.myprotein.co.uk

unflavoured protein for around 40 euro per 5KG. You just can't beat that.

Other than that you're probably looking at cheap cottage cheese (lidls and aldi) blended into a smoothie or something. 25g of protein for around 60c.

Milk is also cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi There

You can also buy Casilan 90, which is a Caesin Protein (so slower release then Whey) in Tesco and Dunnes Stores, which is relatively cheap.

Doesn't taste that great just mixed with water. It's best to use a skimmed milk and say a chocolate milkshake powder. Nesquick milkshake mix can also be bought in Tesco.

As Caesin is a slow release protein, it is best used before going to bed or maybe an hour or two before your workout. I am not sure it would be best as post workout shake though.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think this 10lb bag is the cheapest per kilo http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/

post is only £6.95 up to 26kg. They sell flavouring on its own too, so you can add to your own taste. I get unflavoured since I add it to lots of foods too, but it tastes too bland without some flavour. Also 5% off first order using code below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

You can also buy Casilan 90, which is a Caesin Protein (so slower release then Whey) in Tesco and Dunnes Stores, which is relatively cheap.

Doesn't taste that great just mixed with water. It's best to use a skimmed milk and say a chocolate milkshake powder. Nesquick milkshake mix can also be bought in Tesco.

As Caesin is a slow release protein, it is best used before going to bed or maybe an hour or two before your workout. I am not sure it would be best as post workout shake though.

Best Regards,

M

cheap are you joking? seriously? this stuff is a rip off!!!!! and tastes like ****

my protein for bulk whey

or

bodybuildingwarehouse for branded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi John

When I said "Cheap" I meant cheaper than laying out €100 ish a go for a 10 lb bag on ON Whey. But I suppose that if you were to work out the price of 10lb of Casilan, then you are correct, it's not cheap.

Totally agree with you on taste. Even using a milkshake flavouring I could not take to it.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

www.bulkpowders.co.uk

11 quid delivery no matter how much you're ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I dont know if you could stomach it but two cans of tuna and something in a blender would be a "cheap home shake". Ew though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

JG009 wrote: »
    I dont know if you could stomach it but two cans of tuna and something in a blender would be a "cheap home shake". Ew though.

I try to eat 2 cans of tuna a day, i do like the taste of it mixed with salad.if not i just eat chicken. as much as i can get but i think protein shakes have an advantage like being able to add fruit to them, can be tasty if you do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I try to eat 2 cans of tuna a day, i do like the taste of it mixed with salad.if not i just eat chicken. as much as i can get but i think protein shakes have an advantage like being able to add fruit to them, can be tasty if you do it right.

I'm not sure how good that would be for you, I think I remember reading something regarding a significant metal content of tuna and to be aware of that if you are eating high amounts of it... I would have a couple of cans every 10 days. Obviously it is like anything and you should try have a balanced varied diet. The only thing I consume lots of which I am concerned about is Milk (dairy products). In cereal and casein shakes alone it is alot but I don't see any other choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't bother with shakes?

Can of tuna with a raw egg mixed into it, bit of salt and pepper, maybe some finely chopped spring onion and parsley, tastey and protein overloadariffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

ok, this is not a shake, but it's what I actually do: I grab a ball of light mozarella cheese from lidl that cost ~ 59cents and stab it with the fork. you can imagine it's an ice cream lolly and enjoy! :) it gives you about 26g of protein and 10g of fats and around 200kcal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

Hey,
    we all know money's tight at the moment and whey protein mix costs a lot of money in health shops especially when using them often after the gym. i was wondering is there any way of making a cheap homemade protein shake which is of similar quality and benefit as the expensive powder mixes that can be bought???

also do supermarkets like tesco, lidl etc. sell anything on the lines of whey protein powder as a lot of homemade protein shakes i have found while googling contain whey protein powder??possibly used in cooking/baking??!!

Hey guys,

I always remember when I started off training, blending tins of tunna with cottage cheese and orange juice. Tasted like sick but at the time it did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco value peanuts are 200g for 27cent at the moment, so €1.35 per kilo, Thats is cheaper than many shops sell milk or oats at per kilo!

These are 25.2% protein. so the equivalent of €5.35 for 1kilo of 100% protein.

Of course they are 51.5% fat so it is not like you can be eating kilos per day!

Advertisement