Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Bora Timing Belt needed?

• 17-06-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

When should the timing belt be done on an '01 VW Bora 1.6?

There is 65k on the clock. If the timing belt is overdue should it be done immediately or can it wait for the next service in a few months? Car is used mainly for local trips <5 km daily with the very odd trip of a few hundred km.

What would I expect to pay for a main dealer / non-main dealer change?

Any help/info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is that 65k miles or km? If miles, you're probably about 5k past where it should have been done, and your timing belt may resemble string by now. If it's overdue, get it done right now. You will destroy the engine if it breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Its 65k miles though I'm told the belt may have been done at 60k.Is there anyway to check it? Would there be any indication on the inside of the belt cover for example or can you tell from the state of the belt itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is quite normal for a mechanic to write somewhere around the engine bay something like "tb 60k" to indicate when the timing belt was changed. However this is not a written in stone indication that the belt was changed.

Rule of thumb would be that if you are not sure then get it done as it is alot more expensive if the belt snaps and does serious damage to the engine. Budget about €300 to €400 from an independant garage, a main dealer may charge you more though. Best thing to do is ring a few garages around for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

60,000 miles/100,000km. It should also be inspected at each service for wear and condition and replaced earlier if necessary.

If you're in any doubt then have it replaced. As stated above, if it snaps it will cost you a small fortune compared to the price of a replacement belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

and do the water pump too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Thanks for the advice, I'll get it checked out, it is the only way to be sure I guess. Anyway,I'd prefer the peace of mind to know for definite than to have it go and make a mess of the engine. Thanks again.

Advertisement