Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/Trying monitors

• 10-02-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Hi,

I want to invest a decent amount of money in monitors, what I'm looking at at the minute are the KRK vxt8s, Adam a7x and focal solos. However there doesn't seem to be anywhere to try them out!

What do other people here do when ordering them or is it a case of reading reviews and hoping for the best?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Personally I think its very hard to try monitors.whatever pair of monitors you get you have to learn them(I'm sure your aware of this so dont take it as me preaching)

Once you've learened them you can do a decent mixdown on an y monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to invest a decent amount of money in monitors, what I'm looking at at the minute are the KRK vxt8s, Adam a7x and focal solos. However there doesn't seem to be anywhere to try them out!

What do other people here do when ordering them or is it a case of reading reviews and hoping for the best?

Thanks

Plus they will sound different in the location you put them in. All those monitors you've listed are all nice, but some may colour the sound in a slightly different way. If you want 'accuracy' then look into what high end studios use - Yamaha/Genelec etc, and then talk to the seller with your room dimensions as to what's best also - I know some places will take them back if you're not happy also, so it's not totally 'blind' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Thanks for the replies. Nowhere in this country seems to stock all the models that I was looking at, so looks like I'll be going down the reviews/crossed-fingers route.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for monitors in the 1-1.5k range? They would have to be close to top class or else there's probably not much point spending that kind of money!

I will be using them mainly for trance music, but I also try to produce some house when I get bored from time to time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

X Music have KRKs -

Read Resolution's reviews for technical reviews based on scientific measurement.

'opinion' reviews are just that, one man's view, of limited worth, especially if the reviewer isn't of experience. Guys like George Shilling , however, do have authority in this area .

Of your list Focal are head and shoulders above all in your price bracket .

Thanks for the input! I think that there are 1 or 2 places that do the KRKs but nowhere that does all/most of the aforementioned monitors. Probably useless going to audition them if there's nothing to compare them to.

After thinking about it a bit more, I reckon that the focals aren't for me, mainly because I think I will need 8 inches for dance music. I do want something as accurate as possible though and have heard great things about the focals, but I want to avoid getting a sub.

Do you reckon that spending that kind of money is a waste when it is close to what you would spend on top end monitors like Genelecs or Events? Are they stuck somewhere in no-mans land, between entry monitors and top end monitors, or am I just being a gearslut?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input! I think that there are 1 or 2 places that do the KRKs but nowhere that does all/most of the aforementioned monitors. Probably useless going to audition them if there's nothing to compare them to.

After thinking about it a bit more, I reckon that the focals aren't for me, mainly because I think I will need 8 inches for dance music. I do want something as accurate as possible though and have heard great things about the focals, but I want to avoid getting a sub.

Do you reckon that spending that kind of money is a waste when it is close to what you would spend on top end monitors like Genelecs or Events? Are they stuck somewhere in no-mans land, between entry monitors and top end monitors, or am I just being a gearslut?

I've had the events - can verify those are f**king loud lol - nice warm sound also - probably the same as Adam. If spending that sort of cash, the separate sub would help a lot - it's all a bit muddy if trying to balance a mix through a single pair - especially for bass orientated music.

The reason that I'm trying to get away from a sub is that I'm a bedroom producer, and I am currently 'producing' on a system that includes a sub. The problem is that because of my situation, I can never turn the sub up as loud as I would like to. As a result, my mixes are always way too bass heavy because I try to compensate. Then, in my latest project, I had this in the back of my mind, and ended up having everything too bright.

That is my main reason for wanting to get away from subs. Maybe some reference headphones could help things. Plus maybe I will keep my existing system for ABing.

The reason that I'm trying to get away from a sub is that I'm a bedroom producer, and I am currently 'producing' on a system that includes a sub. The problem is that because of my situation, I can never turn the sub up as loud as I would like to. As a result, my mixes are always way too bass heavy because I try to compensate. Then, in my latest project, I had this in the back of my mind, and ended up having everything too bright.

That is my main reason for wanting to get away from subs. Maybe some reference headphones could help things. Plus maybe I will keep my existing system for ABing.

I had real problems with the bigger speakers in a small bedroom / home studio - I think they are designed for much larger rooms - maybe investing in some nice genelecs and some sound proofing will give you a better overall experience - don't get me wrong, but the Events were way to loud for bedroom production - I'd chat to people over in the main MP forum and give them the dimensions for your room and get a solution that you'll be very happy with.

A way to see it is that you'll have a shedload of bass waves rushing around your room messing with the sound and you'll never find a sweet spot that will give you an accurate representation.

On the other hand if you just want to send your mates deaf while you jump around like loonies, then get some Cerwin vegas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Musicmaker have Focals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The problem is that because of my situation, I can never turn the sub up as loud as I would like to. As a result, my mixes are always way too bass heavy because I try to compensate.

Have you tried turning your speakers down really low when you're working on your mixes?

At different levels, the speakers can reveal different things. Even crap speakers. At a lower level, sometimes it's easier to hear these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

you can take a mix that you know well and take it to a few studios that have the monitors you are curious about. you are welcome for a free visit here to check my Adams.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions!

Interesting point about mixing at a lower level, it's not something that I have tried before! Putting the volume up always makes a mix sound better in my experience.

I think I'm going to need to spend some money/time on room treatment as I'm just getting some terrible mixes done and it's disheartening. I may try to do some kind of movable mounts where I can take down some of the foam when I'm using the room as a bedroom or when I'm just composing etc. With the amount of time that I spend mixing, there's no need for anythink permanent.... I think.

Shayleon, which monitors are they that you have? Thanks for the offer!

Thanks for letting me know about the Focals Paul, I didn't realise they did them. I'll pop in when I'm in town next. It's a nice shop and I've bought plenty of equipment from them before (guitar/amp/pedals)

Neurojazz, thanks for the input again. As a dance producer, which of the Genelecs would you recommend yourself? In an ideal world, the 8050s would be mine, but I think they are probably too expensive, I'm not good enough to be spending that money yet. Ditto with the opals, would be wasted in my room. It would be even harder to justify that kind of expense when you see the likes of Sean Tyas (trance producer/DJ) and Avicii (amongst others I'm sure) doing their productions on VXT8s.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I've got a pair of the Genelec 8040s and I really like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Georgia Breezy Fatigues

focal

you will get away without the sub with them

take about a month to break em in though .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

Shayleon, which monitors are they that you have? Thanks for the offer!

Adam P33a

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

Genelec or Focals!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help.

I have decided to slightly lower the budget to the point where I can no longer really consider the Genelec 8040a monitors as I am going to go for an Access Virus TI synth.

The budget is still chunky enough. I am selling my media desk as I can no longer use a sub in my room. I am looking at the Focal CMS65, Genelec 8030a, ADAM A7x, Event 20/20.

I have read great things about the Focals and am leaning towards them. I don't know if anyone here would have much experience with these monitors but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway.

I have read great reviews about the focals. I have heard that the ADAM's bass isn't great, and I produce dance music. The Genelec's are probably a bit small for use without a sub? The events seem good and are agood bit cheaper than the rest.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help.

I have decided to slightly lower the budget to the point where I can no longer really consider the Genelec 8040a monitors as I am going to go for an Access Virus TI synth.

The budget is still chunky enough. I am selling my media desk as I can no longer use a sub in my room. I am looking at the Focal CMS65, Genelec 8030a, ADAM A7x, Event 20/20.

I have read great things about the Focals and am leaning towards them. I don't know if anyone here would have much experience with these monitors but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway.

I have read great reviews about the focals. I have heard that the ADAM's bass isn't great, and I produce dance music. The Genelec's are probably a bit small for use without a sub? The events seem good and are agood bit cheaper than the rest.

Watch out with the TI - it's a known problem on certain setups - will lose timing etc... Some of their patch notes even say 'this is fixed' and then isn't. Some people get no problems whatsoever, others end up firing the thing out the window. I've had 3 models - the snow/desktop and full ti - clean installs etc... desktop and laptops tested, all failed to hold timing when looping. Make sure you get it from somewhere easy to return if you get these issues.

Lots of buried threads on the net about this.

Hi Neurojazz, thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard anything about that, good to know! Which did you go for 1st, the desktop or the snow? That is the main thing that I can't decide on at the minute! I dont want to make a decision and then regret it!

Also, would anyone here buy a demo version of a monitor over the internet? I will be buying the monitors on the net, but perhaps demo equipment is something completely different.

Thanks

Hi Neurojazz, thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard anything about that, good to know! Which did you go for 1st, the desktop or the snow? That is the main thing that I can't decide on at the minute! I dont want to make a decision and then regret it!

Also, would anyone here buy a demo version of a monitor over the internet? I will be buying the monitors on the net, but perhaps demo equipment is something completely different.

Thanks

I know one place that were willing to take back the TI after it refused to work on the setup. Digital Village arrange pickup and everything - plus after a LOT of digging and phonecalls with them they admitted that the TI took exception to certain pieces of gear - would have been nice to get warning before that nightmare.

The Polar is pointless unless you're up on stage and want to look all famous ;) - the desktop would be fine if it works for you. Even the Snow has enough power unless you want huge detuned saws - check the specs of the Snow out - as it's much, much cheaper. The TI is all about the VST/AU interface, so physical shape/colour of the model matters little if you get me.

I think one guy on boards got his to work fine, i've got huge list of people who didn't! - maybe others can chip in here if theirs work!

The error occurs like this by the way:-

Get a loop in your daw, make an arpeggio or use the arpeggiator in TI.

Play around, feel awesome.

Close daw, reload project - press play and cue headache.

• Advertisement

Thanks

In addition, there is one STABLE Access. The Powercore Virus - very stable and runs on the older powercore racks. Owned this and never flinched/crashed.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    In addition, there is one STABLE Access. The Powercore Virus - very stable and runs on the older powercore racks. Owned this and never flinched/crashed.

Thanks Neurojazz!

Do you reckon that most reliable places would be willing to take it back if one experienced these problems? Surely it is a technical problem as opposed to some sort of quirk. I would probably be buying from Thomann as it is 100 cheaper. Ive also bought from them a good few times and they are reliable. Although I did have to return an item before as it looked like b-stock.

I'm finding it hard to decide whether to go for the snow or the desktop though. I fear buyers remorse if I go for the snow - the desktop is just so much more expensive! I know that you could always freeze tracks etc, but I just think about some of the tracks that I produce. I end up doing a ton of layering, although to be honest, that could be one of my problems as a producer! I think it's mainly leads that I will be using it for, my omnisphere can look after pads and I usually use either the logic plugins or noisemaker for bass. I produce trance, so big saw synths are a necessity though! :)

Does the powercore one sound as good as the TI models? They don't sell it any more though do they? I see the virus plugin for sale, but no tc electronics powercore.

Thanks Neurojazz!

Do you reckon that most reliable places would be willing to take it back if one experienced these problems? Surely it is a technical problem as opposed to some sort of quirk. I would probably be buying from Thomann as it is 100 cheaper. Ive also bought from them a good few times and they are reliable. Although I did have to return an item before as it looked like b-stock.

I'm finding it hard to decide whether to go for the snow or the desktop though. I fear buyers remorse if I go for the snow - the desktop is just so much more expensive! I know that you could always freeze tracks etc, but I just think about some of the tracks that I produce. I end up doing a ton of layering, although to be honest, that could be one of my problems as a producer! I think it's mainly leads that I will be using it for, my omnisphere can look after pads and I usually use either the logic plugins or noisemaker for bass. I produce trance, so big saw synths are a necessity though! :)

Does the powercore one sound as good as the TI models? They don't sell it any more though do they? I see the virus plugin for sale, but no tc electronics powercore.

Ok, The powercore is based on an older model of virus. Still sounds great, but not the same no - only suggesting as a 'Hardware' vst/au device that works.

If you get the TI from thomann, then i can only wish you luck - as you could be stuck in a cycle of 'return to base' for repair on the first case and then subsequent technical support phonecalls with Access in denial about any issues whatsoever. This thing is the biggest tease you will ever meet.

I resorted to stripping down my setup after chasing for a stable TI rig and use a few really nice VSTs and the lack of stress is bliss.

I really do hope it works for you without a hitch - I really do... Wouldn't wish the problems on any soul!

If you need to hear software alternatives, give me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I've decided to buy good monitors. Been using basic speakers for ages because my headphones decided to fall apart :(. Anyway, where can I get decent enough monitors. Nothing to expensive but something that you can actually work with it.

Any ideas or links to some websites?

I'd appreciate the help :)

Advertisement