Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Sweden showing in what pubs in Dublin

• 13-04-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Will be out in town Saturday anyone know any pubs that will show the UFC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The Woolshed is usually a good bet for showing sports. Give them a ring first and see what they say. It's a decent spot too so I'm sure they'd get a lot of extra business if they did show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

NV on Leeson St would be a safe bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ESPN not showing it live :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    ESPN not showing it live :(
    Ahh bollocks, its been so long since the last one

It's just on a tape delay. It's being shown on ESPN at 10:15pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Dean09 wrote: »
    It's just on a tape delay. It's being shown on ESPN at 10:15pm.

Bloody ESPN it's not like we get many UFC events in Europe that you get to watch live! I honestly hope sky get the rights when their up I would imagine they would give it better coverage.

Bloody ESPN it's not like we get many UFC events in Europe that you get to watch live! I honestly hope sky get the rights when their up I would imagine they would give it better coverage.

I'm not sure Sky Sports are interested in live MMA to be fair. When the ESPN deal finishes in my eyes it would make more sense for Zuffa to create their own channel (similar system to Celtic TV, Man U TV etc) showing all the UFC, TUF and Strike Force stuff.

I'm not sure Sky Sports are interested in live MMA to be fair. When the ESPN deal finishes in my eyes it would make more sense for Zuffa to create their own channel (similar system to Celtic TV, Man U TV etc) showing all the UFC, TUF and Strike Force stuff.

The only problem with that is would they charge a monthly subscription and you get all events included in that price? Or would they still charge ppv for the big events? I don't think it'd be in their interest to charge the ppv fees to the fans in Europe and the rest of the world yet. They'd probably need to build up the fanbase first and wait till the sport is more mainstream before having a worldwide ppv system.
    I think it's only a matter of time before Sky gets their hands on it tbh. I'd rather they didn't though as it suits me to have it for free on ESPN and FX. :pac:

The only problem with that is would they charge a monthly subscription and you get all events included in that price? Or would they still charge ppv for the big events? I don't think it'd be in their interest to charge the ppv fees to the fans in Europe and the rest of the world yet. They'd probably need to build up the fanbase first and wait till the sport is more mainstream before having a worldwide ppv system.
    I think it's only a matter of time before Sky gets their hands on it tbh. I'd rather they didn't though as it suits me to have it for free on ESPN and FX. :pac:

I reckon a sensible system would be something like:

Monthly subscription to cover all non PPV UFC content

PPV events discounted to subscribers but still available at full cost to non subscribers.

TUF, Strike Force and other content Free to Air

I reckon a sensible system would be something like:

Monthly subscription to cover all non PPV UFC content

PPV events discounted to subscribers but still available at full cost to non subscribers.

TUF, Strike Force and other content Free to Air

That makes sense but it'd still cost a lot to be a fan. Let's say they charge €30 a month subscription to the channel. And then approx 2 ppv events a month @ about €25 each. That's €80 a month to follow the sport. That's a bit steep. The discounted rate would need to be pretty good or people would just go back to the illegal streams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

That makes sense but it'd still cost a lot to be a fan. Let's say they charge €30 a month subscription to the channel. And then approx 2 ppv events a month @ about €25 each. That's €80 a month to follow the sport. That's a bit steep. The discounted rate would need to be pretty good or people would just go back to the illegal streams.
    €30 a month? i doubt they would make it that high or that people would pay it! €5-10 per month is more sensible or make the ppv part of the €30 per month

adamski8 wrote: »
    €30 a month? i doubt they would make it that high or that people would pay it! €5-10 per month is more sensible or make the ppv part of the €30 per month

I was thinking around the €9.99 per month mark. With subscribers getting PPV events for €9.99 too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I don't think they'd go that route right now-would turn away most the casual fans and they would lose lot's of potential future fans too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I don't think they'd go that route right now-would turn away most the casual fans and they would lose lot's of potential future fans too.

I reckon it could have the opposite effect if there was enough free content. A dedicated 24 hour channel with TUF, Strike Force and other related programming (including UFC back catalogue) free to air. The subscription would only cover live events.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Why is this tape delay? Do any soccer fans care that much about Lyon vs Marseille? At least we have the facebook fights, starting now in a minute by the way.

Advertisement