Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitching Eye

• 31-05-2007 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Okay, this is totally the wrong place for this but if there is a general health forum or something similar can this post be moved there? Cheers.

For the past three to four weeks my left eye has been twitching. My right eye is fine. This twitch doesn't cause my eye to blink, it's more like a flinch. It feels like there is pressure on a vein or something which is causing a sudden surge. That's the only why I can describe it.

I remember rubbing my eye (you know the ones where you rub it once but it snowballs and you end up giving it 'a good ol' rub', one of those) and after that my eye began to bother me.

I'm thinking it might be either some tiny piece of dirt within my eyelid or something or worse, an issue with a vein.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

The mods of this forum will direct you to your GP, and I would agree with them. Eye twitches are often just as a result of extreme tiredness but if I were you I'd pop along to my doctor and tell him what you've just told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

You're obviously an evil genius...

Seriously though, If you're not on for forking out 50 notes on the GP you could head into the optitions I think they're normally cheaper and they generally know their sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It was happening a lot to me a few months ago and I went to the doctor. It turned out to be a case of Bell's Palsy, caught very early luckily enough so all was well. I would suggest as the others have mentioned, go to your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

the other's are 100% go to the GP just incase , had this my self around exmas for a couple of weeks, really annoying just put down to tiredness / stress in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Had it on and off years ago during periods of intense stress and work.

Usually caused by a lack of Vitamin B, but go see your GP just in case.

It's very annoying to have to go through, but it's just one of your body's little ways of saying "woah buster!".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Probably stress related? As others have said, see your GP. In addition to that, you may want to address your source of stress (if this be the cause)? Plus, there are things useful to reducing stress, like strenuous daily exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The same thing has been happening to me, except with my right eye. Is the twitch in the upper or lower lid? I asked my GP what the story was with it, he said that it was nothing to worry about, but that was just my case. There are apparently lots of reasons it can happen - dehydration, tiredness, stress... An upper lid twitch can sometimes be treated with botox (yummy, botulism!) which is interesting, if a bit strange.

If it's bothering you, get it checked out. That's the only way you can really satisfy yourself at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

My right eye has been at it all fecking day! Sometimes intense twitching in 20-30mins non stop, then more irratic. Pain in the eye! (see what I did there?)

I'l get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I had this too but I found if I stopped thiking about it, it went away by itself.

Really wierd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can be caused by dehydration aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same thing happens to me, had it for 2 weeks lately, wrecks ur head!! Caused by late nites and stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used to get it a bit back in the days I used to do ridiculous overtime and reckoned it was just tiredness from staring at the computer screen for so long.
    I've also sometimes gotten it in other muscles like my legs or arms and just put it down to tiredness although after reading Ruu's post I'm slightly worried.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rollo
    As the sticky in this forum states, this is not a medical forum.
    If you are worried about this, then get yourself off to your GP.
    B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement