Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Saorview transmitters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Thanks for the update - I'm near Bandon, currently picking up Kinsale transmitter
    I get the odd freeze, so hopefully I can get a better signal.
    (Hope the same aerial will do too)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

RTENL have now updated the coverage footprint to include the new sites, and state that they will be on air "October 2012".

Hopefully a few more might join the list :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's good to see Glenties added to the list. It is a bit of a signal blackspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

With the Saorview checker indicating the on-air date as Oct 2012 could that be the 24th Oct, with two of the switched-off analogue frequencies reallocated to Saorview?

Greenore in Louth was previously allocated Ch. 47 for Mux 1 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427289. Bandon was on the 2008 list of 53 sites planned for DTT but dropped in 2010.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    With the Saorview checker indicating the on-air date as Oct 2012 could that be the 24th Oct, with two of the switched-off analogue frequencies reallocated to Saorview?

Greenore in Louth was previously allocated Ch. 47 for Mux 1 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427289. Bandon was on the 2008 list of 53 sites planned for DTT but dropped in 2010.

Considering its proximity to the border it's a possibility, but doesn't explain the two in the south west.

Also, if it's rebroadcasting analog Clermont Carn, it's possible that the RBL source there isn't reliable enough with the current Saorview broadcasting system at Clermont, and therefore they might have to wait til after DSO.

Seeing as RTENL have already been forced to add another 4 sites to their list of sites, it's likely that they will have to add more.

A quick look at the map earlier (particularly the southwest seeing as I'm from Cork), I identified some areas that would really need a relay. Abbeyfeale, Ennistymon, Lauragh and Rosscarbery are four places which have had relays with a long time (they were previously VHF) and reception is very poor locally. I honestly don't see the communities which have never had reception problems suddenly have to go to satellite, considering how cheap it would be to upgrade these relays with the numbers they serve.

Also, it's a disgrace that RTENL have enables 10W relays in Gorey where Mt Leinster reception would be largely ok if they didn't insist on jamming UK signals, instead of relays such as the 1kW one at Mount Gabriel, which serves a much larger area and serves an area which has a lot of blackspots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

marno21 wrote: »
    Considering its proximity to the border it's a possibility, but doesn't explain the two in the south west.

Also, if it's rebroadcasting analog Clermont Carn, it's possible that the RBL source there isn't reliable enough with the current Saorview broadcasting system at Clermont, and therefore they might have to wait til after DSO.
    In the case of Greenore, the Newry North relay currently uses E47 at 10W for Channel 4, at DSO this will no longer be used. I've no idea if the local terrain would see a possible clash in either service area, probably the more likely case being Greenore cleared for 200W and until they are switched off, analogue transmissions still have primary use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Kilmacthomas, Mt. Gabriel, Rosscarbery and perhaps Lauragh should be added. And some sort of technical/financial assistance from RTENL for those who can't get either Saorview or Saorsat.

Once RTE do that then I'd call the terrestrial rollout substantially complete. But Mt. Gabriel in particular is a serious oversight on RTENL's part. Maybe there are particular issues with the site or RTE has to deal with another siteowner etc?

Btw I suspect Greenore rebroadcasts Three Rock/Kippure currently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No sign of the rumoured infill transmitters in Cornamona and Leenane yet and as for Mt Gabriel is there a transmitter there at present??? I agree there should be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No sign of the rumoured infill transmitters in Cornamona and Leenane yet and as for Mt Gabriel is there a transmitter there at present??? I agree there should be one.
    Mt. Gabriel is a 1kW site. By far the most powerful site not being converted to Saorview use. Edit: Just checked the analogue sites list, the next nearest site in ERP that's not being converted is Lahinch (180W), and its functions are being partly taken over by Knockanore and a higher mast at Maghera anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think Casla is more powerful to the north of Lahinch as well. Mind you saorsat should work on the south coast...whatever about valleys further north where they cannot see the satellite.

• Advertisement

RTENL have now added further transmitters at the following locations:

Cork: Mount Gabriel, Leap, Rosscarbery, Drimoleague, Timoleague
    Waterford: Kilmacthomas
    Clare: Ballina/Killaloe, Ennistymon
    Donegal: Clonmany

Channels have also been announced for the previously added relays
    Dingle: 30V
    Greenore: 43V
    Glenties: 46H
    Bandon: 47H

Interestingly, Mt Gabriel transmits currently in both horizontal and vertical pol., but after switchover will become V only.

RTE have also not yet updated coverage maps to indicate coverage from the new relays

Cork: Mount Gabriel, Leap, Rosscarbery, Drimoleague, Timoleague
    Waterford: Kilmacthomas
    Clare: Ballina/Killaloe, Ennistymon
    Donegal: Clonmany

Good news for the Killaloe/Ballina area, the analogue transmitter was only installed in the last 10 years or so.

The new sites in Cork are probably as a result of local and political pressure, discussed here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056623323
    Channels have also been announced for the previously added relays
    Dingle: 30V
    Greenore: 43V
    Glenties: 46H
    Bandon: 47H

None of the new frequencies are shared with any of the existing analogue channels, I wonder if they'll go live before analogue switchoff.
    Interestingly, Mt Gabriel transmits currently in both horizontal and vertical pol., but after switchover will become V only.

Both H & V according to the Saorview coverage checker.

Saorview Press Release on the planned transmitter sites
    REGIONAL VIEWERS TO BENEFIT FROM INCREASED ACCESS TO SAORVIEW

RTÉ’s transmission and network subsidiary, RTÉ NL, confirmed to TDs this week that SAORVIEW coverage levels, already at 98%, will be further enhanced by the addition of a number of new transmitter sites. Following on the ground monitoring and evaluation of the performance of the DTT network, RTÉ NL is adding a further thirteen sites to ensure optimal numbers of Irish households can access free to air terrestrial television.

Areas which stand to benefit by the new transmitters include: Carlingford in County Louth, Dingle in County Kerry and Ennistymon in County Clare; Glenties and Clonmany in Donegal; Mount Gabriel, Bandon, Rosscarbery, Leap, Timoleague and Drimoleague in County Cork; Kilmacthomas in Waterford and Ballina, Tipperary.

It has always been the aspiration of RTÉ NL to deliver a quality free to air digital television service to as many households as possible. These additional sites will make the switch to SAORVIEW even easier for people living in those areas and surpasses the original requirements of the delivery of the digital network.
    Mick Kehoe, Director of RTÉ NL

Until now digital television, and all its benefits, was only available to those who were willing to pay a subscription to a commercial operator. The fact that SAORVIEW can also be combined with other free to air services significantly opens up consumer choice for all. The increased level of accessibility to the SAORVIEW service is very welcome news.
    Mary Curtis, Director of Digital Switchover.

With the very high levels of SAORVIEW coverage and with the additional infill solution of SAORSAT, for the first time in the history of the state, there is now universal access to public service broadcasting on a free to air basis. The digital switchover stands to benefit viewers by an improved television service, and the country as a whole by the opportunities it will create as regards the communication spectrum released.

Research conducted by SAORVIEW in April indicates that awareness of ASO (Analogue Switch Off) now stands at 82% with highest levels of awareness (91%) in terrestrial households. In order to assist households who may find making the switch more challenging, SAORVIEW has begun its own outreach programme in partnership with both Muintir na Tíre and Macra na Feirme who are using their extensive and committed volunteer networks to ensure that no-one gets left behind.

Issued: Friday 22nd June 2012.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/regional-viewers-to-benefit-from-infreased-access-to-saorview/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Until now digital television, and all its benefits, was only available to those who were willing to pay a subscription to a commercial operator. The fact that SAORVIEW can also be combined with other free to air services significantly opens up consumer choice for all.

I like that inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Does this mean Mount Gabriel is already transmitting?

Does this mean Mount Gabriel is already transmitting?

Unfortunately, no. (I know how eager the deep south west is for Saorview :P)

I meant that Mt Gabriel transmits analogue TV in Horizontal pol. in one direction and Vertical in the other.

The Saorview coverage checker was showing V only on Friday, and I noted the difference between analog and (future) digital.

It now shows Mt. Gabriel as H and V so that issue has been sorted.

It will be green on the coverage map when its transmitting. (Should be since day 1 imo)

Looks like 3 of the 5 sites remaining to be upgraded - Leap, Timoleague and Rosscarbery. Not sure where the other 2 are.

6ynp03.jpg
    33lhudv.jpg
    oircep.jpg

Essential preparatory engineering work at the Mt. Gabriel transmitter this week according to Aertel p169

2dvsvb9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭reboot

Saorview Press Release on the planned transmitter sites
    thanks for that,handy site.

Advertisement