Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Charisteas wrote: »
    What's the story if Chelsea win the final but finish 5th in the league, does that mean five English teams in next seasons CL?

If Chelsea win the cup, and dont finish 4th, the team who finishes 4th goes into the europa league, not the champions league, with chelsea replacing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I reckon if Chelsea win Arsenal may have to qualify. I am sure reigning champs get automatic progression to next years tournament & that may mean the team that finishes 3rd likely Arsenal (unless they bottle it, pipe down Eamo) may have to qualify. Hope Bayern win the final though & whoever finishes 4th keep it What a shot to gut it'd be from getting big bucks in the Champ League to getting stuck on 3e getting analysed by Phil Babb & heaven forbid they bring back Ken Doherty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I dunno if they do get automatic progression. Liverpool in 2005 I think won the tournament, and they finished 5th in England. They had to go through the qualifiers cause I doubt it had ever happened before, and I'm not sure what the rule is now.

Denny M wrote: »
    I dunno if they do get automatic progression. Liverpool in 2005 I think won the tournament, and they finished 5th in England. They had to go through the qualifiers cause I doubt it had ever happened before, and I'm not sure what the rule is now.

Thats when the change was made after that Liverpool had to start at Qualification Round 1 in early July. Everton who finished 4th lost in the 3rd round to Villareal, there was 5 English teams (although I think UEFA didn't recognise Liverpool as a English side early on because they never wanted to have 5 teams from 1 country). So when Everton got knocked out UEFA breathed a huge sigh of relief cause it was back to square one. Now its different I think the winner goes through automatically & the team that finishes 4th doesn't get a chance to qualify now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

GTR63 wrote: »
    I reckon if Chelsea win Arsenal may have to qualify. I am sure reigning champs get automatic progression to next years tournament & that may mean the team that finishes 3rd likely Arsenal (unless they bottle it, pipe down Eamo) may have to qualify.

From EPL website:

English winners of the UEFA Champions League who do not qualify through their domestic position go forward as Winners to the group stage, with the team finishing fourth dropping to the UEFA Europa League.

So Chelsea straight into group stages meaning 3rd place likely to have to go through a qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well then if that's the case, I really hope Bayern win and Chelsea don't get 4th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The songs that come out before the big tournaments are genuinely enough to make you wish Ireland didn't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Ok the team that finishes 3rd (will be Arsenal) will still go into group stages no matter what happens elsewhere. Good to know.
    English winners of the UEFA Champions League finishing outside the top four places (but who qualify for the UEFA Europa League through their domestic Barclays Premier League position) go forward as Winners to the group stage along with domestic champions, runners-up and third place.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/

I hope Bayern win the CL final, but on the other hand I would LOVE IT if Spurs finished 4th but had to go into the Europe League haha.

That song is terrible, then again most soccer songs are.

The FAI couldn't get Creed, Saliva, or Limp Bizkit to do the song?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That song is terrible, then again most soccer songs are.

The FAI couldn't get Creed, Saliva, or Limp Bizkit to do the song?!

At least it isnt Jedward :p

Mundy is probably on the dole now. Give it to charity-case musicians like him.

So it seems Guardiola wants to leave Barca & take a break, can't help but feel that its a good thing. His tactical changes this season haven't gone down well and the fact Messi hasn't been rotated at all is a real criticism of him. But who will be the new manager doubt they would go for Luis Enrique after he has had a disappointing season at Roma, maybe Bielsa has thrown his name in the hat after the season Bilbao had.

GTR63 wrote: »
    So it seems Guardiola wants to leave Barca & take a break, can't help but feel that its a good thing. His tactical changes this season haven't gone down well and the fact Messi hasn't been rotated at all is a real criticism of him.
    roman-abramovich.jpg

Cants Matty getting the job full time anyway, think Roman would prefer a big name.

Bilbao vs Lisbon was great as I expected twas like a game you'd play in school a real next goal wins style mentality to both sides. Athletic vs Atletico in the final, should be a good final with plenty of misspellings & attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I know what song I'll be blaring during the Euro's...

Came across a show on Extreme Sports. Man vs. Beast it must be the worst tv show ever. What will drag a plane further a fully grown Elephant or 45 midgets? oh dear lord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

guardiola going at barca

mancini better hope City wins the premiership now.

Newcastle have surely blown it in regards to 4th. Here's hoping Spurs get 4th and Chelsea bayte the ****e out of Bayern to ruin Harry's year.

HON THE FERRIS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Newcastle have surely blown it in regards to 4th. Here's hoping Spurs get 4th and Chelsea bayte the ****e out of Bayern to ruin Harry's year.

HON THE FERRIS!
    I'm hoping spurs finish sixth (Imagine that, sixth in a three horse race! :pac: ) but if they do manage to get fourth, I wouldnt mind Chelsea winning the Champions League even though I'd much rather it be Bayern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The Avengers is bloody awesome....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

The Avengers is bloody awesome....

3D?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nah, wasn't even an option in Balbriggan. Or at least not one we were offered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Keep Avengers spoilers away I say! I've yet to see it. Will likely go Monday. Have a heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I seen it thursday. Excellent movie. Thought the 3D was brilliant, wasnt overdone but definitely added depth to the whole movie which is odd for big action movies released in 3D these days.

Some of the comedic elements were also fantastic and brilliantly unexpected.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Keep Avengers spoilers away I say! I've yet to see it. Will likely go Monday. Have a heart!

Have you seen thor yet, jay?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    There were a bunch of comic book geek characters who teamed up or something

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Avengers really was awesome.

Already looking forward to the next one.

which member of the team will get a movie next? I am sure plans exist for them all to have another movie. Except maybe the Hulk.

Anyone seen American Pie Reunion yet?

• Advertisement

Anyone seen American Pie Reunion yet?

Bunch of lads having a reunion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement