Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet up group

• 15-08-2011 8:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had an idea. People seem to be stuck for alternative activities to drinking. So I propose a meet up group, maybe once a month or every few months to engage in a few activities. It could work on the basis that all those who wish to attend, could put together a few ideas, vote and then participlate when all has been arranged.

For example, there's paintballing, hillwalking and a multitude of other ideas I'm sure people could come up with. In a way people could find something they enjoy and eventually stick with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I had forgotten about this group.

There was a thing a few years back and I missed it stuck in traffic and was to meet a girl in a bobbin hat on a hot summers day

Anyway, here is the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364156

You might consider posting a link to this thread there and it might generate interest from people who attended that event and subscribed to the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

I'll be up for this. I'm unemployed so anytime suits me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

We can give it time and see how many would be up for it.

I'll be up for this. I'm unemployed so anytime suits me.

sounds good and if i can make it will too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think basketball is a good idea
    Anyone can play and it can be mixed

No shortage of courts around, many are free or at least pretty minimal cost to the council

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That would be a good idea!

How about 5 a side football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While its a nifty idea, I'd imagine its one which could meet problems in terms of the fact this board covers the whole of Ireland and thus there could be travel woes...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

CDfm wrote: »
    I had forgotten about this group.

There was a thing a few years back and I missed it stuck in traffic and was to meet a girl in a bobbin hat on a hot summers day

Anyway, here is the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364156

You might consider posting a link to this thread there and it might generate interest from people who attended that event and subscribed to the thread

Oh yes. I was there that day. There were only 3 of us, but it was good fun.

I'd be happy to try out something like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

yeah we could do girls versus guys even for basketball!
    That would be a good idea!

which team do you wanna play on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Hi All,

Oddly enough there is a website that facilitates meetups between like-minded groups of people - meetup.com

Makes the logistics of scheduling meetups easy, you can vote on places to go etc.

There is a Dublin-based meetup group with a focus on non-drinking already established:

http://www.meetup.com/Connectdublin/

Seems interesting enough, im not a member of the group but might join in the future, just really busy for the next few months.

So to get involved just join the group and keep an eye out for upcoming meetups. Alternatively you can setup your own meetup group, though you do have to pay organiser dues if you set one up yourself.

I suppose the beauty of a boards group is that it is free and its an online community .

So maybe if the forum was more active these things would happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Come on, let's do something...but what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I can't really travel out of Limerick, I think the problem is we're all so spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grocery_bag

ill be up for it, Im off the sauce & my head is wreked with boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

yeah, up for meting, but not so much of a sporty type, argh! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

Count me in too...

How's about meeting up for tea/coffee? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

I'd be interested in going. I haven't posted here before, but I'm also one of those who totally abstains. By choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Me too!
    Would def be on for a meet up...logistics depending of course!

• Advertisement

EmmaAstra wrote: »
    How's about meeting up for tea/coffee? :rolleyes:

Someplace like IMMA if it was the weekend would be great

http://www.imma.ie/en/index.htm

Its free ,nice coffee shop, gorgeous location and ambiance and if you make a faux pas you may blame the art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

CDfm wrote: »
    Someplace like IMMA if it was the weekend would be great

http://www.imma.ie/en/index.htm

Its free ,nice coffee shop, gorgeous location and ambiance and if you make a faux pas you may blame the art.

Sounds like a great idea and location!
    Lived in Dublin for years yet never made it to IMMA!
    I'd be on for it of it was a Sat/Sun as I'd be travelling some distance.
    Hope this event happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Accents is pretty cool. Really comfortable late night coffee place, they even do regular alchohol free comedy nights.

http://accentslounge.wordpress.com/

IMMA and Accents, two brill suggestions!!:D

These sound like excellent suggestions. Even if no group comes of it, people have ideas to past time :)

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I can't really travel out of Limerick, I think the problem is we're all so spread out.

Well maybe you can post a link to this on the Limerick forum and see if anyone responds ?

If the papers are to be believed Fianna Fail will soon be teetotal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Miss_Leela

Hi all, first posting on here... Been off the drink since june (binge drinker and escapism) and already gained 2 stone from staying in and eating everything around me... Cant tolerate going out with my friends so i would be really intrested in meeting up and getting to know some ppl who completely abstain without it being an AA meeting, which i havent attended...

Woohoo \o/

Jaysus, I love the tae. I'd be up for that anytime :D What would we call a boards meet up for non-alcoholic beverages though?

• Advertisement

What would we call a boards meet up for non-alcoholic beverages though?

A " Happening " might hit the spot ?

Advertisement