Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant burner problem

• 22-01-2010 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    can anyone help.
    I have a Grant Minor one S central heating burner (20-29Kw.) 1991
    The problem is: when I try to start the burner it purges for a short time and then locks out. The red light on the control box comes on. If I reset it by pressing in the button it starts OK and will run until the boiler reaches the set temperature and then it shuts down normally, however when it tries to restart it 'locks out' again and I have to press the button again.
    I spend my time running into the boiler house pressing in the button!!!
    Any ideas gratefully received.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Since it's a Grant boiler I assume it has a Riello burner. If the burner doesn't light within a pre-set time it will lock out, and the only way its controller knows it's lit is by the light of the flame detected by a photocell. Often the failure to light up properly is a clogged oil filter or a partially blocked nozzle limiting oil flow or distorting the atomised oil spray pattern, or simply a dirty photocell.

The filter will be in the supply pipe and will normally have a glass bowl that can be removed for cleaning. If it's a partially blocked nozzle or a dirty photocell then you will need to withdraw the complete burner. That's not difficult but it is not really a simple DIY job. Not something to undertake unless you are really sure of what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Little Dog

Hi folks, Just seen this thread I also have a problem with a grant riello burner. The burner is running but not firing thers is fuel and I hear it clicking. Any ideas? The control box was replaced 12 months ago. It picked a good weekend to stop working! Any advise would be much appreciated.Thanls Little dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Could be a million and one reasons why a burner lock's out but its pretty much the only tell tale sign, boiler requires a service.

If your car had trouble turning over, you'd probably have it serviced, same goes for burners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leaholme

Hi and thanks for your replies.
    I have a Grant burner, model "Minor one S" (and a Grant slimline boiler)
    I have just been working on it and made some amazing (to me anyhow) discoveries:
    1. IF the burner fires it runs with the plug going on to the solenoid on the pump disconnected!!! I presume this means the solenoid is stuck open?
    2. In this situation (burner running but solenoid disconnected) one of the 3 terminals in the plug is continuously "live"
    If the boiler fails to light the terminal never becomes "live" Does this mean there is an intermittent fault with the controller? The controller is a Danfoss BHO 12.1. The pump and solenoid are Suntec. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

leaholme wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for your replies.
    I have a Grant burner, model "Minor one S" (and a Grant slimline boiler)
    I have just been working on it and made some amazing (to me anyhow) discoveries:
    1. IF the burner fires it runs with the plug going on to the solenoid on the pump disconnected!!! I presume this means the solenoid is stuck open?
    2. In this situation (burner running but solenoid disconnected) one of the 3 terminals in the plug is continuously "live"
    If the boiler fails to light the terminal never becomes "live" Does this mean there is an intermittent fault with the controller? The controller is a Danfoss BHO 12.1. The pump and solenoid are Suntec. :confused::confused:

You might well have a problem with control box but its hard to know for sure, Danfoss are a reputable company their gear tends to be up to scratch so you could be confusing things, again hard to tell for sure.

Burners have different lives, some switched, some permanent, after a powered burner goes through ignition sequence and detects flame, its possible to disconnect a some leads / cables / wires while having burner still running.

One some jobs we used to manipulate a burner to come on while completely disconnecting burner from boiler, just to heat the room for a short burst as we worked, only giving this example to show how its possible for burners to run a number of different ways while burner firing.

It might not be your control box at all, then again it might, best have someone with experience have a look at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement