Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push Button Stopper in Sink Stuck!

• 11-12-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I have one of those sinks with a push button stopper rather than just an ordinary stopper attached to a chain. Unfortuntately, the bugger seems to be stuck/pressed down. Despite all my pushing, no amount will get the button to push back up.

Has anyone come across this before? Can you suggest a fix?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Screw it anti clockwise. I know you cant get a firm grip, but apply pressure down on it with your fingers, and try turning it.

Thats if its a 'push button' and not the 'pop up' type

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I hate those push buttons they never stay working ,
    The way iv gotten a few ones out is disconnecting the trap and pushing it up from under the sink

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Davy wrote: »
    Screw it anti clockwise. I know you cant get a firm grip, but apply pressure down on it with your fingers, and try turning it.

Thats if its a 'push button' and not the 'pop up' type

Spot on davy. Thats how i do it. Then i spray it with silicone spray and rub a little vasaline when the spray dries off. The problem with these is there is a lot of cheap copies on the market. Even the dear looking ones can be cheap copies. The most successful model of these I have seen is the wirquin one. IF.....it gets stuck you screw it as above then if the mechanism is still stuck you can take the centre pce out and free it up in a solution of wd40. Make sure to lubricate it again when taken from the wd40 as this actually dries the mechanism making it stick again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How you get on Raskolnikov?

Ye joey they are a bit of joke, i dont like them at all. Would normally advise against them. They look the part but in practice they really disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

For future reference by anyone with this problem, I've found that one easy way to pull up a popup plug that's stuck down is to get a suction cup (you can buy hooks or other things that attach by suction cups in the pound shops & elsewhere). The suction cup needs to have a smaller diameter than the plug, obviously.

Just stick the suction cup onto plug that's stuck down, and then pull it up with a pliers. I've found it works nearly every time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement