Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

He hasn't even tried to "fight a battle in Cavan" so how do you know he would lose? As I said before, he could have put his head down and proven Andrews wrong but instead he ups and leaves to a county he has absolutely no affiliation to.
    And you ask why can't Johnston play for Kildare? I basically think it flies in the face of everything the GAA is about. It's about representing where you come from. If this goes through, what's to stop stronger counties poaching great players (with the ability of Johnston etc.) from weaker counties in the future?
    And would you feel the same you do now if someone like Johnny Doyle or Emmet Bolton switched to Dublin? Because in my view, they would have more of an entitlement to make that move than Johnston does to make this one.

I can tell you one thing the county rivalry between the dubs and Kildare is rife!!

John said himself if he won nothing inter county who cares he loves his county colours as for emmet I know him really well border area he is from Kildare dublin wise and he hates everything Dublin are about!! He used to hate the fact that eadestown wore Dublin colours!!

Apart from that it points out what does Johnston wanna play for Kildare??? Great chance at a Leinster medal or possible AI medal?? Where will his passion come from?? Etc etc!!

I can tell you now if alan smith is targeted by geezer to bring seanie in there will be trouble in the camp as smith is really well liked as far as I know!!!

All I'm saying is in my opinion the move is wrong but why should anyone tell Johnston who to play for as he gets no salary, Andrews doesn't want him and the chap wants to play on the big stage as most great players want to aswell

Let's be honest the gaa rule book
    Is stale! Needs to be completely looked at 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Let's be honest the gaa rule book
    Is stale! Needs to be completely looked at 100%
    It is being addressed (see last paragraph) and the whole undefined yet crucial term of a "permanent move" better tied down

Due to a 2 way "conversation" between Gophur and tayto_lover my post reporting this very thing ended up buried a good number of pages back.
    Stricter rules on transfers to go before Congress

By Martin Breheny
    Thursday February 16 2012

STRICT new rules on what constitutes permanent residency for the purpose of GAA transfers are likely to be in place by May.

The Rules Advisory Committee is currently working through what is a very complex area in an effort to bring greater clarity.

It's expected to finalise its report shortly and will bring proposals to Congress in April, aimed at regularising the situation. If accepted, the new rules will come into effect in mid-May.

Under the current rule, 'permanent residence' is not clearly defined and is instead, left to county bye-laws to decide on the eligibility of players who are seeking transfers either across county or club boundaries.

That brings its own problems since not all counties have the same regulations.

Cavan's Seanie Johnston is the latest high-profile figure caught up in the residency issue as he seeks to prove that his request for a switch from Cavan Gaels and Cavan to St Kevin's, Staplestown and Kildare is valid under the transfer regulations.

The Rule Advisory Committee, chaired by Frank Murphy -- who is also the Cork county secretary -- has been working on the rule book for quite some time in an effort to address a whole range of problem areas and to simplify others.

It is being addressed (see last paragraph) and the whole undefined yet crucial term of a "permanent move" better tied down

Due to a 2 way "conversation" between Gophur and tayto_lover my post reporting this very thing ended up buried a good number of pages back.

Heard a lot of talk about Johnston transferred to Kevin's as apparently one of lildares selectors or panel staff has a big influence in Kevin's!!

Most thought he would be trying to get into a sarsfields jersey or one of the 3 or 4 power clubs in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I'm also not saying your wrong agc just don't say stuff like that if you can't back it up 100 percent !!!

I'm sure that keeper had no agenda getting media attention either

I can back it up 100% as I have done with several through PM's

Just on your later posts about McGeeney, it was not him who made the approach although im sure he knew what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Is it true that he was back training with his club in Cavan the past week?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

raven136 wrote: »
    Is it true that he was back training with his club in Cavan the past week?

Yep, I was talking to one of his cavan club mates and he said it was true.

getting a pain in my hole with this drama. its exactly what the lily whites need instead of concentrating on the work ahead of them the media swamp everything into seanie johnston dramatic transfer saga... FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

getting a pain in my hole with this drama. its exactly what the lily whites need instead of concentrating on the work ahead of them the media swamp everything into seanie johnston dramatic transfer saga... FFS
    Kildare bought this upon themselves, it's a bit pathetic that Kildare always seem to think the media is against them. The whole of last summer, they were so far up to the Lillies' tail end that it was nauseating.

Big, massive game for them in Navan this weekend!

dcr22B wrote: »
    Kildare bought this upon themselves, it's a bit pathetic that Kildare always seem to think the media is against them. The whole of last summer, they were so far up to the Lillies' tail end that it was nauseating.

?? how were media up kildares arse?

huge game alright..

also who said media was against kildare? all i was saying was kildare needed to keep out of media spotlight and concentrate on breaking an 84 year gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

?? how were media up kildares arse?

huge game alright..

also who said media was against kildare? all i was saying was kildare needed to keep out of media spotlight and concentrate on breaking an 84 year gap
    On the first point, seriously? Kildare are like the Dubs were pre-2010, great on paper but put them up against a seasoned campaigner and they simply didn't cut the mustard. Less than the sum of their parts and we know how that feels because we were there too.

If Kildare want to saty out of the media spotlight, they might want to concentrate on playing to their strengths instead of creating their own headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

dcr22B wrote: »

Its more pathetic that the only reason you found it nauseating was that the media weren't up your tail ends. Moaning when the media are on your backs and moaning when they take an interest in other teams. Point me in the direction where Kildare seemed to think the media was against them. Or are you just picking up on what one or two posters have said?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cavan paper, Anglo Celt, reporting yesterday that Johnston has given up hope of the move going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Lemlin wrote: »
    Cavan paper, Anglo Celt, reporting yesterday that Johnston has given up hope of the move going through.

Tell Mr Johnston I take 2 sugars in my tea.:p

indeed, a snippet of that article is here
    http://anglocelt.ie/news/gaelicfootball/articles/2012/02/29/4009291-johnston-move-looks-unlikely-to-go-through-as-cavan-host-sligo/

hope he didnt sign a long lease for the house in straffan...

isnt he playing for kevins now?? now theres a commute from cavan to play club football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

The cccc still haven't made a decision on it yet believe it or not!!
    They are an disgrace that no one can make a decision on the matter.
    they were quick enough to hand out ban's and fines to kildare and monaghan after a bit of pushing.

Any news on Johnston re this move

Well he didnt play for cavan at the weekend and val andrews is delighted with his young lads coming through.
    I hope we cccc get there fingers out of their hole this week and have an answer for him.

i have a funny feeling IF this goes through it will be to shake up kildares forwards cant see johnston marking himself out as a star forward tbh dont get me wrong i know he can turn fast and kicks great scores but for geezer to blank one of our regulars for johnston would be very bad form imo anyways

• Advertisement

Any news on Johnston re this move

Latest rumour round Cavan anyway is that Johnston has given up hope and will be back playing for Cavan Gaels this year.

There's 6 weeks until the next round of League games in Cavan so we won't know for a while anyway. He's not exactly famed for turning up for League games for the Gaels anyway. He played in very few last year.

Latest rumour round Cavan anyway is that Johnston has given up hope and will be back playing for Cavan Gaels this year.

There's 6 weeks until the next round of League games in Cavan so we won't know for a while anyway. He's not exactly famed for turning up for League games for the Gaels anyway. He played in very few last year.

There's no way if I was managing Cavan
    Or was a true Cavan fan would I want him wearing county colours again!!

Just from a point of view he went to jump ship to win silverware well a chance at winning something with a strong Kildare side!!

Even from a club point of view I wouldn't want him due to this whole treatment to his county and club team

There's no way if I was managing Cavan
    Or was a true Cavan fan would I want him wearing county colours again!!

Just from a point of view he went to jump ship to win silverware well a chance at winning something with a strong Kildare side!!

Even from a club point of view I wouldn't want him due to this whole treatment to his county and club team

You're wrong there. He jumped ship because he was told he wasn't required by Cavan.

Either way, I still wouldn't want him back.

You're wrong there. He jumped ship because he was told he wasn't required by Cavan.

Either way, I still wouldn't want him back.

Lemlin
    Mate if I had a chance to wear my county colours at senior level I would give anything I would fight tooth and nail if I was him why would he want to play for anyone other than Cavan it's almost insulting to Cavan that he is looking to play for Kildare IMO

Lemlin
    Mate if I had a chance to wear my county colours at senior level I would give anything I would fight tooth and nail if I was him why would he want to play for anyone other than Cavan it's almost insulting to Cavan that he is looking to play for Kildare IMO

I agree. He should have stayed with the Gaels, kept his head down, had some virtuoso performances and then the pressure would really have been on Andrews to include him.

As it is, the majority of supporters in the county have now rallied behind Andrews and his project so Johnston has definitely ended up the loser in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Well this puts to bed the saga of whether or not Johnston will be able to transfer.

Seanie Johnston's proposed transfer to Kildare appears to be dead in the water after his latest request was turned down by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

The want-away forward's home club Cavan Gaels has received confirmation of the decision and, as far as they're concerned, the saga is now at an end.

Cavan Gaels chairman Michael Mooney said in the Irish Examiner: "It's nice for it to come to a conclusion and we can now concentrate on football and get him back in the squad.

"Cavan Gaels always want to see the best players playing for Cavan Gaels and for the county. We definitely have no ill-feeling, it was never an issue that he didn't want to play with Cavan Gaels, he wanted to play county football and felt that he wasn't wanted by Cavan.

"He trained with us recently and he was very welcome."

The 27-year-old had sought a move to the Lilywhites after he was sensationally omitted from the Cavan panel by manager Val Andrews last November, but doubts over the player's permanently residency (he claimed he lived in Straffan, Co, Kildare) has thus far prevented the transfer from going through.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=163614

A bit of clarity is brought to the situation and now he can go on to help his club to win its first ever Ulster Club title.
    For a man with ambition that's surely a challenging target with plenty of reward if achieved.

if you look at the roll of honour, its about time a Cavan team were successful in getting an ulster club title to the county .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Senior_Club_Football_Championship

blackbelt wrote: »
    Well this puts to bed the saga of whether or not Johnston will be able to transfer.

Seanie Johnston's proposed transfer to Kildare appears to be dead in the water after his latest request was turned down by the Central Competitions Control Committee.

The want-away forward's home club Cavan Gaels has received confirmation of the decision and, as far as they're concerned, the saga is now at an end.

Cavan Gaels chairman Michael Mooney said in the Irish Examiner: "It's nice for it to come to a conclusion and we can now concentrate on football and get him back in the squad.

"Cavan Gaels always want to see the best players playing for Cavan Gaels and for the county. We definitely have no ill-feeling, it was never an issue that he didn't want to play with Cavan Gaels, he wanted to play county football and felt that he wasn't wanted by Cavan.

"He trained with us recently and he was very welcome."

The 27-year-old had sought a move to the Lilywhites after he was sensationally omitted from the Cavan panel by manager Val Andrews last November, but doubts over the player's permanently residency (he claimed he lived in Straffan, Co, Kildare) has thus far prevented the transfer from going through.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=163614

That decision should have been made long ago. The only loser from this has been Johnston. Andrews has actually received alot of support in the county and it seems to me that Johnston is now seen by many as a figurehead for the negative characteristics of players from previous years.

His reputation in Cavan has been invariably tarnished and, even if Andrews moves on, it'll be a bold move by any future manager to call him back into the setup.

Cavan's 'Saipan' is over at least it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That decision should have been made long ago. The only loser from this has been Johnston. Andrews has actually received alot of support in the county and it seems to me that Johnston is now seen by many as a figurehead for the negative characteristics of players from previous years.

His reputation in Cavan has been invariably tarnished and, even if Andrews moves on, it'll be a bold move by any future manager to call him back into the setup.

Cavan's 'Saipan' is over at least it seems.

Et tu Brute.

• Advertisement

im hearing from a reliable source when the decision was made yesterday an appeal had gone in straight away to the central appeals commitee..
    and so it continues...

That came from some one on the kildare fourm on hogan stand.
    I suppose he has the right to appeal!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement