Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT and Linksys WRK54G

• 11-07-2006 5:36pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I have ZyXel Presitge 623T Esat modem and a Linksys WRK54G. Cant get the wirelss to work. Have the ZyXel in the standard mode for just LAN (setup shown below). It will allow me to enter the Linksys setup page as long as its not on the same computer as the ZyXel and the ZyXel is in bridge mode. The IP for the ZyXel http://192.168.1.1 is the same for the Linksys. So iv tried too things in bridge more (assuming thats correct)

(1)
    Left the IP addresses alone and tried arranging the Linksys through PPPoe and set up the network but keep getting limited connectivity. It does show the wireles network but wont let me connect:mad:

(2)
    Changed the Linksys to http://192.168.1.2 and tried using obtain Ip automatically, same effect really.

What am i doing wrong, i have enabled internet connection through my ZyXel, think im doing something tiny wrong!

Any help would be great.
    Cheers
    Nukem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You need to set modem into bridge mode, this is the easiest way of getting this to work. Then connect it to the WAN port of the Linksys. Config the linksys to handle the PPPoE settings. Should work fine then.

Work on this setup and see how far you get. Then post back here with as much info as possible:

i.e. can you connect to linksys at 192.168.1.1?
    Do you get an ip address when you connect PC to router via ethernet or wireless?
    Can you ping sites etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Ya all set up ok, USB to PC -> Wan to Linksys -> Ethernet to other PC. Once you change in to bridge it gives an option for RFC or PPPoA - tried both and nothing. Shows a cnnection but wont let me do anything:mad:
    Really sick of this rubbish,tried resetting both of them and nout! Severly tempremental, works and doesnt work. Il try again later.

Cheers
    nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Nukem, I have the exact same setup and here's what I have (it works)

1. Set the ZyXel to bridging mode.

ZyXEL bridging settings

2. Set up your connections as follows:

Phone - ZyXEL - ethernet - Linksys - ethernet to PC

3. Set your Linksys like this

That should allow your wireless to work, if you're still having difficulties you may need to set static IPs.

Hope that helps.

Nukem wrote:
    Ya all set up ok, USB to PC
    That doesn't sound like a correct setup. therecklessone has it right. Modem should only connect to the linksys.

• Advertisement

Lads ye are f*cking savage!
    Its running my lappie and PC now through LAN and registering the Wireless but Low connectivity.....etc......
    Getting there - any ideas whats up with the low connectivity, tried with and without WEP,with & without MAC filters,head scratcher.

Keep the advice coming and the milkybars are on me!

update drivers and firmware on all devices. Switch off power saving mode on wireless cards. Maybe try changing wireless channel in case of interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Nukem wrote:
    Lads ye are f*cking savage!
    Its running my lappie and PC now through LAN and registering the Wireless but Low connectivity.....etc......
    Getting there - any ideas whats up with the low connectivity, tried with and without WEP,with & without MAC filters,head scratcher.

Keep the advice coming and the milkybars are on me!

If you give the laptop a static ip can you then connect.. Could be that both devices are giving out dhcp... try turn off dhcp on router and make sure dhcp on on wireless ap or other way round which ever you prefer obviously make sure that the devices them selves dont clash on ip's.Also you dont need bridge mode have as standard connection to th internet.. the wi fi is simply using it as a gateway..

irlrobins wrote:
    Maybe try changing wireless channel in case of interference.

Probably the first step I'd try.

Ignore JohnnieM's post. He's got it arseways imo.

• Advertisement

Changed Channels and updated everything humanly possible,even that Sp2 fix and regedit for no connectivity. Head scratchin continues. Any ideas again.

Thanks lads

Got me scratching my head now as well...:D

If its a wireless card you have (rather than on-board wireless) I'd try removing it from your hardware profile then reinstalling it.

Try assigning a fixed IP to the wireless connection in XP.

Other than that the best I can suggest is Linksys support. Best of luck mate.

did you switch off power saving features of wireless card?

Think there is something iffy as it connects spot through ethernet bar one PC,the main PC is crap slow and only loads some pages and getting limited connectivity from 2 laptops with built in cards and one from a PCMCIA via wireless so i reckon its firmware in the routers. Will install and try again and check back.

Cheers again lads

Well i Had a half day today and decided to give this another bash. Got on to Linksys live chat and im up and running. Thanks for all the help:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alankillian

Hi Nukem

I was reading your post about Esat - maybe u can help. I have Esat BT broadband and a Linksys WAG54G unit. Do you know if I can go from the Zyxel to the Linksys, so that I do not have to contact bt for settings? Hope that makes sense!

Al.

Yep you can use the WAG with your BT connection. Just follow the Linksys manual as how to set it up to work with your PC. Use the same settings that are on your current Zyxel modem. The settings are also available on the BT support site .

Should be straight forward. Post back here if you are having problems.

Advertisement