Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

meant to post this on the Tralee thread...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63261420
    (rather than here)
    fresca wrote: »
    See http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/advertsnotices/title,3163,en.html

Tralee Traffic & Transportation Study

Released: 19 November 2009
    Kerry County Council & Tralee Town Council are carrying out a Traffic and Transportation Study for Tralee Town. The primary purpose of the Study is to determine what measures will be required to resolve existing traffic and transport issues in Tralee and its environs.
    A key element of this study is the development of a Traffic Model for the town, assessing traffic congestion, parking, and safety issues. The study will also look at how public transport services could be expanded or improved, and will also examine the current situation for cyclists and pedestrians and how these could be improved going forward.
    An important aspect of the overall study is consultation with local groups. Many sectors, including schools, transport providers, and hospitals have been contacted with an invitation to express their views on current traffic, parking, or any other transport related issue.
    An online survey is available on the Kerry County Council website for residents and visitors to Tralee to provide important information about their usual commute and the issues experienced.
    This survey is accessible to the entire community. Website facilities are available at Kerry County Library located in Moyderwell, Tralee, Co. Kerry. A prize is being offered for participation in the survey. See www.traleetravelsurvey.org for details.
    Your participation in this survey is very important as it will make a significant contribution to both developing a comprehensive understating of transport issues in Tralee and identifying best transport solutions for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomohawk

Are people aware that the design standards adopted by the NRA for the dual carraigeway section are now effectively outdated and obselete according to the new draft guidelines for cycling?
    They have included a 0.5mts hard strip for vulenerable road users cyclists and pedestrians!
    This is effectively telling these users to stay off our great big new road. But hey boy racers are welcome! Are our NRA related to the NRA in the states?

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHEME
    Mainline
    2.32 The proposed carriageway for the N22 Tralee Bypass will be Type 2 Dual Carriageway. The
    Type 2 Dual Carriageway Cross Section will require a minimum landtake of 33.5 metres in
    width (fence to fence). The pavement will be 16.5 metres wide and will comprise 4 x 3.5
    metre carriageways, 2 x 0.5 metre hard strips (forming part of the verge) and a central
    reserve, 1.5 metres in width. There will be 2 x 3.0 metre verges (0.5 metre hard strip plus 2.5
    metre grass verge). There will be a 2 x 1.0 metre offset from cutting and embankment side
    slopes to open drains which will be provided throughout. The open drains will be a minimum
    of 2.0 metres wide at ground level. Finally, 2 x 3.0 metre strips will be provided between the
    edge of the open drains and the fenceline, as a workspace for maintenance access.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those users *should* be staying off high capacity strategic routes. The old roads will remain present for them to use.

MYOB wrote: »
    Those users *should* be staying off high capacity strategic routes. The old roads will remain present for them to use.
    Unfortunately, the surfaces of the "old" roads, i.e. the ones in use today, are pretty bad, in particular at the edges. The exceptions being the relatively new n21 tralee - castleisland and the n22 tralee-farranfore whose surfaces are excellent for cycling.

given the volume of cyclists in the greater tralee area (and the boom in cycling over the last 2 years) it seems pretty certain that this new bypass will be used by cyclists.

I accept your point that cyclists should not be using high capacity strategic routes ... but in reality there is a serious lack of alternative.

See Kerry Co Co web site: http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/traleeringroadsproject/

Includes plans for:
    - Northern road connecting N69 (listowel) to R556 (abbeydorney)
    - Western road connecting R558 (fenit) to N86 (dingle)

There is a proposal to link the northern road into the existing Bracker Regan road.

There's a map also...

Now, looking at the map, does it not seem blindingly obvious that the proposed northern ring road should:
    - start at the N69
    - cross the R558
    - cross the R551
    - terminate at the N86

Or maybe I've just had too many mince pies already!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'm assuming the overall plan for Tralee is a ring road whenever it will be funded.

The plan on phase 1 is:
    • 2+2 link from the N70-N22-N21-N69
    • New stretch of N22 unconfirmed whether it's 2+2 probably is

This would be a better solution:
    • Compact GSJ at the N21/N22 junction with N21 mainline
    • 2+2 from that junction to the start of the Tralee bypass
    • 2+2 with compact GSJ at the N69 junction and RAB's for the rest
    • Link to the N86 road

My understanding is that the recent upgrade of the N21 (ballycarty-tralee) was proposed to be dual-carriageway. However, due to the existance of a rather ancient oak woods on the route, planning permission was refused for d-c.
    hence the reason for the new route serving the tralee-killarney (n22).

Yeah a dual carrigeway was originally the plan for the Ballycarty to Tralee section. I'm not sure whether it was full dual or reduced dual. Given that there is little difference from WS2 to 2+2 in width (21m to 27.5m) I'm thinking this was included in the OPT 1994-1999 to be standard dual(36m). The AADT is high on this section and well above anywhere else in the county probably reaching 18,000 or 19,000.

The issue now is severe platooning on the stretch and absolutely no overtaking oppurtunities even though the road is WS2. There is also the hideous N21/N22 roundabout junction should really be upgraded to a compact GSJ and 2+2 from there to Tralee at least.

Below is a section of the Road Needs Study 1998 document showing that indeed it was going to be constructed a dual carriageway. And I'm nearly definite that it was standard dual carriageway.

DSC02874.jpg

The EU pulled the plug under pressure. Strange that the same didnt happen for the M3 passing near Tara perhaps it was because of the PPP it went ahead.
    An undisturbed wood in Co Kerry associated with a Civil War
    massacre and which narrowly escaped felling only 10 years
    ago was officially opened yesterday as a major amenity.

Plans to drive a dual-carriageway through it in 1997 were
    shelved only when the EU pulled funding following a
    campaign by environmentalists attached to the Ballyseedy
    Wood Action Group, some of whose members were present at
    the opening this weekend.

http://www.mywebsearch.com/jsp/cfg_redir2.jsp?id=ZUfox000&fl=0&ptb=OjDxIEBKD2yFA_KIBm8dyA&url=http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/dft_redir.jhtml&st=dns&searchfor=www.mywebsearch.com

The wood is located at Ballyseedy and contains some very fine specimens of Oak, Ash and Alder. Deffinately worth a trip if you have an hour to spare someday.

Through the centre of the wood runs what is called The Old Coach Run. I don't seem to be able to find much info on that.

With regard to the wood itself and its history, this link might be of interest...
    http://www.woodlandleague.org/projects/ballyseedy/index.htm

Hardwood plantings occurred in 1709 and 1782.

Having walked this wood a few times, I'm kind of glad that it wasn't replaced by a dual carriageway.

tech2 wrote: »
    The issue now is severe platooning on the stretch and absolutely no overtaking oppurtunities even though the road is WS2. There is also the hideous N21/N22 roundabout junction should really be upgraded to a compact GSJ and 2+2 from there to Tralee at least.
    Agreed. This is an issue not alone for Tralee to Ballycarty (N21-N22 junction), but also the Ballycarty to Farranfore upgrade.
    Whilst it's all WS2 (and certainly a lot smoother that it used to be) overtaking opportunities are still an issue.
    I don't understand why tralee-killarney isn't DC anyway.... I commute this route daily and somedays it can take over 1 hr to travel the 32km.
    And as for the 100km for tralee-cork.... this journey can regularly take over 2 hours. I can travel 200k dublin-galway in under 2 hours. I will soon be able to travel dublin-limerick (about 200k) in about 2 hours. And tralee-cork (100k) takes me over 2 hours... tralee-killarney (32k) can take 1 hr alone....
    sometimes, i despair...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The N22 will be closed in Ballyvourney tommorow morning ( after 9am) as the locals protest at the state of the road surface right now.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The N22 will be closed in Ballyvourney tommorow morning ( after 9am) as the locals protest at the state of the road surface right now.
    I don't blame them.
    I was in cork a few days ago and the area around ballyvourney is pretty poor (understatement).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I don't blame them.
    I was in cork a few days ago and the area around ballyvourney is pretty poor (understatement).
    BUT isnt it a 50kmh zone in Ballyvourney itsself so you wouldnt need a bowling green of a surface anyways?
    The surface i do agree is a mess in the town, but priority should be (and seems to be) given to surfacing other parts of national roads where there is a 100kmh limit and a smooth surface actually can be used to its full potential.

drove tralee - cork via macroom, yesterday.
    took 2:15 hours to get there (dept 08:00 hrs).
    took 2:30 to get home (dept 16:00 hrs).
    it's 110 km (ish)

just traffic, traffic, traffic.... moving slowly.

look's like i'll be commuting regularly for work.

it's depressing to realise such a quality of roadway still exists...

There is a page here [ http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Roads/Current%20Projects?did=651524015&pageUrl=/Cork+County+Council/Departments/Divisional+Services/Roads/Current+Projects ] that is supposed to contain documentation on the N22 ... but the links are broken.
    I'ce emailed Cork CoCo about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There is a page here [ http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Roads/Current%20Projects?did=651524015&pageUrl=/Cork+County+Council/Departments/Divisional+Services/Roads/Current+Projects ] that is supposed to contain documentation on the N22 ... but the links are broken.
    I'ce emailed Cork CoCo about it...
    The route selection dead link, external to the cork county council website, is cached here:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070914200141/www.phmcc.com/n22_web/n22_index.htm

03 Mar 2010
    Cllrs oppose levy to cover cost of link roads in Tralee Bypass

Tralee Councillors are opposing the proposed introduction of a development levy to cover the cost of link roads in the Tralee Ring Roads Project.
    At the Town Council's monthly meeting, management said it's proposed to bring in a levy of €24.43 per square metre for houses, and €29.31 per square metre for non residential developments.
    Tralee Town Council currently has a levy in place to cover roads, which equates to around €17 per square metre.
    However in the Tralee environs - areas which don't come under the town council's management - there isn't any levy; so there are large gains to be made in that area.

The Department of the Environment has said the proposed levy appears to be quite high.
    Town Council management say the levy is needed to cover the €4million cost of link roads in the Tralee Ring Roads Project, as central Government won't be contributing since it's already covered the cost of the main roads.
    Councillors are vehemently opposed to the levy, saying it'll prohibit development.
    They decided to put the issue back until next month's meeting, but it has to be dealt with within six weeks.

Meanwhile Kerry County Council has been given the go ahead to enter negotiations with landowners to buy the land needed for the road network; it can serve notices from next week.

--ends

yet another project, cpo'ed, but no closer to activity...

project: http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/

from http://www.radiokerry.ie/news

13 Mar 2010

Tralee bypass will begin next year, says TD

Construction work on the Tralee Bypass is due to begin next year. That's according to correspondence between the Transport Minister and Kerry North Fianna Fáil TD Tom McEllistrim. Kerry County Council was recently given notice to enter into negotiations with landowners - and commit to buy the land needed for the project. The council says it hasn't yet been given the go ahead to go to tender or construction of the road.

i'm not sure - it's hard to see this project going to construction in 2011...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Hmm, seems to be a fair few TDs issuing Press Releases saying that projects are going ahead in the past few days. So thats the N22 Bypass and N25 Flyovers, whats after happening to prompt this?.

Hmm, seems to be a fair few TDs issuing Press Releases saying that projects are going ahead in the past few days. So thats the N22 Bypass and N25 Flyovers, whats after happening to prompt this?.

Is that the smell of an ELECTION in the air?

Or maybe, whilst all the ministers are away on their st patrick's holidays, the back benchers are being told to make their voices heard?

either way, i'll take this with a large grain of salt.

surely (within the region) the abbeyfeale-adare; farranfore-killarney; ballyvourney-ballincollig & even SRR upgrades of Sarsfield and Bandon interchanges should have higher priority?

Even Michael McGrath in cork has claimed the SRR junction upgrades are going ahead http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853085 ... (note this is the scheme invinciblePRSTV mentions above - thanks!)

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is that the smell of an ELECTION in the air?

Tis, they are making the exact same kind of promises in Mayo as you would expect with an election in the offing.

• Advertisement

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/
    24 Mar 2010Councillors vote in favour of development levy for Tralee ring roads

Kerry County Councillors have voted in favour of a development levy to cover the cost of the link roads in the Tralee Ring Roads Project.
    14 councillors voted in favour of the draft supplementary development contribution scheme, while four councillors voted against.
    Nine were absent for the vote.
    Earlier this month Tralee Councillors opposed the proposed introduction of a development levy, however they decided to hold off on making a decision until next month's meeting.
    The proposed levy is €24.43 per square metre for houses, and €29.31 per square metre for non residential developments.
    Tralee Town Council currently has a levy in place to cover roads, which equates to around €17.
    However, in the Tralee environs, a levy doesn't exist in areas which don't come under the town council's management, so there are large gains to be made in that area.
    County Manager Tom Curran says the levy scheme shows commitment and that it's the way forward for the council.
    The levy is needed to cover the €4million cost of link roads in the Tralee Ring Roads Project, as central Government won't be contributing; it's already covered the cost of the ring roads.

So the council have adopted the increased development contribution to fund the tralee ring roads project.

notice of adoption...
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/advertsnotices/title,3804,en.html

project website...
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/traleeringroadsproject/

posted on april 30, 2010.

notice of tender for tralee bypass project.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=APR148815&catID=1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Healey-Rae demand by any chance? Unless they don't intend to actually go ahead with the tender, in which case I cant see why they'd publish it.

Nope.
    Wrong constituency - Jackie is in Kerry South.
    And believe me... he takes absolutely no interest in what happens "north of the maginot line"...
    MYOB wrote: »
    Healey-Rae demand by any chance? Unless they don't intend to actually go ahead with the tender, in which case I cant see why they'd publish it.

I thought that hilariously over-spec for a WS2 scheme north of Castleisland was one of his "for the betterment of Kerry" schemes though?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Does anyone one else believe that this bypass has to be built before the proposed shopping center is built on the john joe sheehy road. I am assuming that such a large development beside such a crucial road will only force traffic back into the town. Do people agree or disagree?

I haven't had time to check if the planning permission includes some sort of traffic restrictions for construction traffic.

But you are 100% correct in that the construction of this project is going to cause significant impact to one of the main artery's of the town.

I must also check to see wht sort of access road access has been granted.
    I can imagine traffic coming into town, turning right onto john joe sheehy road and then turning right again into the shopping centre... that will be chaos!!!
    i presume (haven't checked) that there will be a new round about at the entrance to the shopping centre, although given that at peak times the round about at the john joe sheehy road / boherbee road is gridlocked, this will probably make no difference.
    ;)
    Does anyone one else believe that this bypass has to be built before the proposed shopping center is built on the john joe sheehy road. I am assuming that such a large development beside such a crucial road will only force traffic back into the town. Do people agree or disagree?

We are still in a recession, I doubt there will be any new shopping centres being built in Tralee for the short term at the very least. Also the whole route has been CPO'd.

• Advertisement

Hey tech2, check over on the tralee thread.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65604087&postcount=2927
    A new shopping centre is going ahead in tralee this september.

If you know the area, it's on the site of the current John Mitchel's GAA ground. This is on the road with the train station.

I think the point above about having the eastern ring road completed before this project starts is sensible enough.
    tech2 wrote: »
    We are still in a recession, I doubt there will be any new shopping centres being built in Tralee for the short term at the very least. Also the whole route has been CPO'd.

Advertisement