Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round roast

• 05-02-2008 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭

Hiya, I've bought just over a kilo of round roast. I'm wondering about cooking time for it. 190C in a fan heated oven for 80 minutes?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not sure how tender it would be, to be honest. Round roast is a lot tougher than say, fillet or sirloin. When I cook it I usually boil it for around half an hour then roast it for another hour and a half to 2 hours depending on the size. The boiling makes it succulent all the way through and allows you to roast it for long enough that it'll be tender too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Oh damn. Didn't realise that. It was fairly expensive so thought it'd be a fairly good cut. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Try putting about an inch of water in the roasting tin for the first hour of cooking, and cover with tin foil, it will then steam at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Get lots of root vegetables - carrots, parsnips, swede, celery, potatoes and an onion. Cut the swede into large chunks, slice the celery, leave the carrots and parsnips whole and halve the potatoes if they're big or leave whole if they're small. Put them in a roasting dish and pour boiling water on top until they are almost covered, place the beef on top and cover in tin foil. Place in an oven preheated to around 160 C and roast for about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I roasted a round roast overnight at about 70 degrees once. Turned out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Thanks everybody for the advice. I went with Dizzyblonde's advice cos it was only one posted at time I left work. Threw in some cut carrots, onions, cloves of garlic and parsnips with it and they caramelised nicely. Seems to have gone well overall, but I see what you mean about quality of cut. Will definitely try out some of the other recipes above. Thanks again.

Advertisement