Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stor11

Does anyone know what it is like to work for the Ben Dunne Gyms? I am thinking of applying for a PT role there but would like some feedback before I do..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anonymous123

Hi all, I will refresh the thread about Energie Fitness Navan.

Possibly the worst gym I have ever been. Whole place is used and dirty. No one even try to fix the problems and complains of members. The list is very long. Leaking roof is from years and still not fixed. Showers are useless - only very hot or very cold water. Sometimes there is only cold water, as they forget to heat the water.
    I have never seen so many lies from the unprofessional management and staff. The place is not safety, you can rid off your home/car keys or even car easily. One time someone tried to rob my car outside the gym.
    The pool is full of dirt and chlorine. It is good when you want to clean your jewelry only. The new sauna is very small only for 2-3 people max. The steam room - always closed. Equipment is old, used and dirty. They prefer not to fix the machines, a lot of them are out of order.
    Yes, they have a lot of classes - like in other fitness clubs. But the instructors are lazy and especially when is quiet they can cancel your favorite class.
    The membership is very expensive and overpriced comparing to quality of service. I won't recommend this place for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Gym in East Wall, Dublin is great. Never anyone there!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EllaC

Where in East Wall is the gym, Slinky?

EllaC wrote: »
    Where in East Wall is the gym, Slinky?

In the Sean O' Casey Community Centre. Very small but very cheap and always very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gymcub

Hey folks, has anyone ever tried Ben Dunnes in Jervis st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gymcub

Dont think my last post went in, has anyone tried Ben Dunne in Jervis st.

gymcub wrote: »
    Dont think my last post went in, has anyone tried Ben Dunne in Jervis st.

It went in alright.

Haven't tried it no. I'd guess it's expensive, given the loaction

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annoymos

Hi Folks,

Have just had a few responses from various different gyms for single full year membership for 2012.

Ben Dunne - €200
    Westwood - €900 for 15 months is special offer (they refuse to budge on price)
    Crunch Fitness DL - €600 with a massive push
    Regency Hotel Bray(Merrill Leisure Club) has a deal on Annual Corporate membership - €399

Most of the gym's I've spoken with will give you a special membership just for the pool but none will give one without pool(seems a bit riduclous to me).

I do love the design of Crunch Fitness - all those lights and distractions really do help take your mind off the workout itself which is great if your unfit like me. But the Fitlinxx wasn't working when I was a member so none of my training was logged correctly, that was a few years ago so it may well be improved.

Anyone got any suggestions around the city centre for gyms with a similiar distraction to Crunch that is a bit more within your average Joe price range?

Thanks,

Lorna

annoymos wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Have just had a few responses from various different gyms for single full year membership for 2012.

Ben Dunne - €200
    Westwood - €900 for 15 months is special offer (they refuse to budge on price)
    Crunch Fitness DL - €600 with a massive push
    Regency Hotel Bray(Merrill Leisure Club) has a deal on Annual Corporate membership - €399

Most of the gym's I've spoken with will give you a special membership just for the pool but none will give one without pool(seems a bit riduclous to me).

I do love the design of Crunch Fitness - all those lights and distractions really do help take your mind off the workout itself which is great if your unfit like me. But the Fitlinxx wasn't working when I was a member so none of my training was logged correctly, that was a few years ago so it may well be improved.

Anyone got any suggestions around the city centre for gyms with a similiar distraction to Crunch that is a bit more within your average Joe price range?

Thanks,

Lorna

The East wall gym is 5 mins from Spencer Dock luas stop, so fairly central. €80 for three months, although it's the most basic gym you can imagine, pretty much has just one of everything (two treadmills though!). No pool either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Hey folks,

This is a great thread for getting info. I see above that Westwood is 900 per year. Do you know if they have a student rate?

Also, is Westwood worth the money. If I can pay by DD monthly, I can afford it but I don't want to go there if the standards are the same elsewhere for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Hey folks,

This is a great thread for getting info. I see above that Westwood is 900 per year. Do you know if they have a student rate?

Also, is Westwood worth the money. If I can pay by DD monthly, I can afford it but I don't want to go there if the standards are the same elsewhere for cheaper.

What do you plan on using it for? If it's solely for one purpose I.E. the gym then I wouldn't even go near them, 900 is ridiculous!

n1ck wrote: »
    What do you plan on using it for? If it's solely for one purpose I.E. the gym then I wouldn't even go near them, 900 is ridiculous!

I would be using it for the gym, the pool and also classes if they were included in the membership. My main purpose is to lose weight, tone up and get fit as opposed to weight training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Hey folks,

Student rate is 55 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

was thinking of joining northwood as i moved to glasnevin..might go up and have a tour...the times i will be going to the gym are 10 am one week and the second week after 3pm..as i work shift work..

currently joined finglas gym but not happy there at all way too small. so would love to know if northwood is not too busy and how easy it is to get a bench and do my own thing as i find it very hard to do anything in finglas gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

thegame wrote: »
    was thinking of joining northwood as i moved to glasnevin..might go up and have a tour...the times i will be going to the gym are 10 am one week and the second week after 3pm..as i work shift work..

currently joined finglas gym but not happy there at all way too small. so would love to know if northwood is not too busy and how easy it is to get a bench and do my own thing as i find it very hard to do anything in finglas gym.

The times you're going at shouldn't be too bad especially at 10 a.m. It's more the evenin time after 5ish is when it's a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

my local gym was 100e for the year, has no pool, jaccuzzi or sauna but has everything else.

Hey folks,

Student rate is 55 a month.

Really? That's cheaper than I thought. Do you know if you have to pay a start up registration fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 phanley

Looking for a 3rd person to join the one in Carlisle... Any takers????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Really? That's cheaper than I thought. Do you know if you have to pay a start up registration fee?
    its 200 i think.
    but haggle yer arse off and you can get it cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 FOSD7

hi folks, just looking for some current info on 1escape if anyone has it, mainly wondering what people are paying/how busy it is at peak times.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I see a new gym has opened up in The Green Isle Business Park in Clondalkin,just got a quick glance of it as I was passing by.

Would anyone here have any info on it by any chance?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I see a new gym has opened up in The Green Isle Business Park in Clondalkin,just got a quick glance of it as I was passing by.

Would anyone here have any info on it by any chance?

Cheers!
    That's the Ironhouse Gym. It's run by a top Irish bodybuilder named Brian Hickey. Proper hardcore bodybuilding gym. Not much cardio equiptment but a huge amount of free weights and machines. Think it's around 250 for the year.

Just to follow up, I went up to Westwood Leopardstown today.

They quoted me €500 joining fee and €55 per month student rate.

I got it for €75 joining fee and €55 per month so I'm happy with that :D

Thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stickman2

Anyone on here been to the Iveagh Fitness Club in Dublin 8? Looking for a bit of info if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Any one a Memeber of the Energie Gym in Nutgrove ? Thinking of Joining it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Stickman2 wrote: »
    Anyone on here been to the Iveagh Fitness Club in Dublin 8? Looking for a bit of info if possible.

Only seen this now, what info you looking for if it's not too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Thud

deal on living social for Rock Fitness:

Ten (€15) or 20 (€25) Gym and Fitness Class Passes; or Three-Month Membership (€57)
    http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/68/deals/343366-ten-gym-and-fitness-class-passes

is that place any good? looks like there's only one power rack??

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Dubdude wrote: »
    Only seen this now, what info you looking for if it's not too late.

Just what the place is like in general. Friendly staff? Nice equipment? Busy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinladie

heya northwood is mostly very busy in the evening time but in the mornings and afternoons is actually ideal times to go. its well worth the money!!

Advertisement