Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to access http://192.168.1.1.

• 14-12-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Unable to access http://192.168.1.1.

Guys,
    I wish to access the above web address for the linksys router for my 3 wireless broadband but I do not appear to be able to access it?Any ideas?

I wish to enhance the security on my wireless connection by determining the status of my WiFi user list to check my router's DHCP client table. Much like viewing my network, my DHCP client table will list the machines on my network.Although I have not even set myself as a client.

In addition I have been advised to use manual DHCP assignment if this is possible with a 3 connect wireless toggle?To do this,apparently one simply sets the router's DHCP to the manual setting and enters in each of your computer's physical addresses. This will restrict your network to allow only those computers recognized by the router??Any advise on how one goes about this?

If the manual DHCP route isn't comfortable for one's level of computer expertise,one may apparently want to consider generating a MAC access list which usually can be created through the browser interface of the router. Unfortunately, MAC address lists can also be bypassed by savvy WiFi thieves; nevertheless, when used in conjunction with other security methods, they're probably enough on a small home network.

Guys I'm a pure novice in this area and I'd greatly appreciate your advice.The guidelines re the security for Eircom connections were excellent but I do not have a physical router for my wireless 3 broadband.

Various numbers are given for in my DHCP settings in the advanced management for my IP address,Subnet Mask.My DHCP server is set to enabled and numbers and dots for start and end IP addresses and a DHCP lease time

.In the basic settings the SSID and channel number are listed alongside a few other settings including an option to hide the SSID broadcast which I have chosen.

Forgive my ignorance in this area but from a brief viewing it appears that there are numerous experts out there who can help me.
    Ta,
    Selig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

seligehgit wrote: »
    [/B......Various numbers are given for in my DHCP settings in the advanced management for my IP address,Subnet Mask.My DHCP server is set to enabled and numbers and dots for start and end IP addresses and a DHCP lease time.In the basic settings the SSID and channel number are listed alongside a few other settings including an option to hide the SSID broadcast which I have chosen.
    Selig:D

You seem to have accessed your router. There should be an option to set the security choose WPA/PSK or WPA2 if an option and set a long complex password using a mixture of letters numbers and other characters from the keyboard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What router are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi dub45,sorry about my long incoherent ramble,I am real novice in this area.I have a Huawei E5830 mobile wifi router?Just trying my best to increase the security on my broadband via the various methods I mentioned.3 techies told me to access the linksys router web address but I am unable to access it.:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi dub45,sorry about my long incoherent ramble,I am real novice in this area.I have a Huawei E5830 mobile wifi router?Just trying my best to increase the security on my broadband via the various methods I mentioned.3 techies told me to access the linksys router web address but I am unable to access it.:(

You certainly have me confused anyway:) Firstly the http://192.168.1.1 is a pretty standard router address and has nothing specific to do with Linksys as far as I know - for example Netgear uses it too on their routers.

As FSL above notes you appear to have already accessed your router to make the changes that mention above?

For what its worth I think you are going over the top - enabling wpa2 and a pretty strong password should keep you pretty secure - where do you envisage all the threats coming from? What circumstances will you be using the router in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have a Huawei E5830 mobile wifi router?...
    3 techies told me to access the linksys router web address but I am unable to access it.:(

Just to be clear, have you got 2 routers, or are you just using the E5830? You should not be using 2 routers together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Countryboymike

I have been advised to adjust my router firewall settings.However when I get to the Router Status page I have no adjustment option.All the settings are locked and there in no Firewall info what so ever.Should there be a left hand menu with an option to change settings.I need to take off the firewall fully in order for a Sure Signal device to be used.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I don't mean to be a smart arse or seem like I'm talking down to you.. but, are you sure your Huawei E5830 has wireless web admin access at all?

The device, as sold by Three, at the start anyway, the end user (yourself), only had access to the web admin panel through the device when connected via USB.

I purchased a Three branded E5830 and needed to install an unofficial firmware to have access to the admin panel through wifi.

The setup, now.. seems daft, I could never figure out why Three supplied the unit like that.

Later similar units do have access, from the E5832 onwards, by default, but I recall only Meteor selling them, then of course there was the E585 on Three (wifi web admin access) and the current E586, again, with wifi web admin access.

Certainly, plugged in through the USB, you should have no problems modifying an access profile or your wifi security settings, on the E5830.

---

Just to add, another quirk of the E5830, it cannot use a WPA\WPA2 key with certain extended characters.

For instance, grabbing a random generated password from GRC..

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

You'll need to use the:

64 random hexadecimal characters (0-9 and A-F):

or

63 random alpha-numeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9):

Attempting to use:

63 random printable ASCII characters:

Will lead to the password not being stored properly.

Just a heads up.

Advertisement